4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2015 8:29 AM by stripp6913

Missing Fonts in Indesign

stripp6913

Hello, I'm having problems locating missing fonts in my Indesign CC program. At work, they use an older version of Indesign CS5, and obviously the fonts are in there, but when I HAVE to work from home, I cannot find the fonts anywhere in my CC version. I need this fixed as I have to work from home because of connectivity issues at work. I read through some old forums, and I'm sorry, I guess I'm a noob here, but there was just so much confusion as to open type, Suitcase Extensis.....and so on.

I need a clear cut answer how to get these fonts on my machine. I'm not sure why Adobe took them away for this program. Also, I've looked through Adobes Type font kit to no avail. That's really confusing as well. Please help me as I need this solved ASAP!

• 1. Re: Missing Fonts in Indesign
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

At work use File > Package... and include the fonts. Take the package folder home and the fonts should be available in the file without installing.

• 2. Re: Missing Fonts in Indesign
            Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

You should understand that fonts are not "in" InDesign (generally) but are on the system. Nobody has all fonts, as there are hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions of them. Managing fonts and their licenses is a major and important job. It sounds as if the Mac at work has more fonts, perhaps purchased, than your Mac at home. If you want the same fonts, it might be necessary to buy licenses for them for home use, or the original license might allow you to copy and install them anyway - you need to check each font individually.

• 3. Re: Missing Fonts in Indesign
              stripp6913 Level 1

Yeah, now that I think about it, I should have just brought the packaged files home. I originally intended on doing that, but had advertisements in my "root files" that I build my newspaper from, so I was trying to avoid overloading my external drive. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

• 4. Re: Missing Fonts in Indesign
                stripp6913 Level 1

I have learned quite a bit about fonts in the past day, including what you responded with. For future problems, I'll just be packaging the files that way my fonts come with me and then I can avoid any more problems like this. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question.