4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2015 12:27 PM by Peter Spier

File Doesn't Open

ShakeyDesign Level 1

So i created a catalog. Exported the PDF yesterday. Saved everything and closed inDesign. Today, when i try to open the file, i just get a panel that appears and has the files name on it, but nothing else. I've used inDesign for years and have never experienced this. Can anyone please help me get this file open? I REALLY don't want to have to rebuild.

I've attached a screenshot of what i get when i open the file. Thank you to anyone that views this and or assists!inDesign-File-Not-Opening.png

• 1. Re: File Doesn't Open
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Looks like maybe you saved a Book (.indb) file with the same name, but never added any documents to it. Check the file extension.

• 2. Re: File Doesn't Open
            ShakeyDesign Level 1

The file extension is ".indb". If that's the case, how can i open the file so i can view all of the work i did? I exported a PDF of the catalog before i closed inDesign the other day.

• 3. Re: File Doesn't Open
              ShakeyDesign Level 1

Well, not sure why, but i just browsed my "Open Recent" list and there was the same file name, but with ".indd". It opened the catalog right up. Very strange that it's a different extension in the working folder.

• 4. Re: File Doesn't Open
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

.indb files are nothing more than a collection of links to documents that are related to one another in some way and will (usually) be output as a single publication. Typically you would add something like several chapters to a longer book file to help with organization and to reduce scrolling in a long publication, as well as to be able to edit and update just a small part.

In your case you created a .indb file, but never linked the .indd document to it (and there's no need to do so). You can safely delete the .indb file to prevent confusion, but be sure you check the extension and don't accidentally delete the .indd.