7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2015 11:06 AM by Tafflad

How best to develop 'old' 35mm slide images

Tafflad

Undertaking a project for my parents - scanning in family 35mm slide collection. (over 600 so far ) Ultimately will be put onto DVD for them.   The issue is the slides are between 40 and 50 yrs old .... and of mixed stock .... not stored in ideal conditions.

I have followed the best practise of de-dusting and cleaning ..

Agfa slides are very bad ...some have emulsion breakdown with large black dots, and almost spiders web coming out from the dots. Kodak & Ilford are much better ......... but many of the older ones (~50) are very red in colour which is explained pretty well here: http://www.scantips.com/color.html

Unfortunately no tool tips for LR.  ... I did look at 'Kodak Roc'  but not available for LR.

Can anybody suggest any tips filters / tools or sequence for such slides.

Typically it's these very old ones have family members that are no longer living and of most interest to my parents.

(edit) I purchased a copy of Vuescan scanning software for the job ... as this allows scanner support in W7 64 bit.  - all slides scanned as 24bit TIFF files

Once finished in LR they will be resized prior to turning into a video.

I have loaded one such TIFF file here as sample:

Ilford-plastic-0007 - Download - 4shared

• 1. Re: How best to develop 'old' 35mm slide images
          dj_paige Level 9

The color balance can be converted from very red to more neutral with the eye dropper tool in the basic panel. In the example, you could click the eyedropper on the man's white shirt. Other photos might not have a part of the photo that was originally white or neutral grey, so clicking somewhere with the eyedropper won't work, and then you'd have to play with the temperature and tint sliders until you get something you like.

As explained at that link you gave, the cyan dye has mostly disappeared and so information from the cyan channel is probably gone forever, and I doubt you'll be able to return the photos to natural looking colors without a huge amount of work, if then.

My gut feel is that Photoshop would be a better tool for this task if you intend to do a lot of work on each photo — Photoshop has a lot more tools that might help. If you're planning on just spending a minute or two on each slide, then Lightroom will probably do some good things.

• 2. Re: How best to develop 'old' 35mm slide images
            Tafflad Level 1

I have been focussing on WB and then setting whites & blacks for optimum .........sometimes adjustment in HSL will work ... but not often.

I no longer have PS   (last had a copy when it was PS 5) ... LR does what I need for all my own pictures, and can't justify immense cost of PS  (unfortunatly)

• 3. Re: How best to develop 'old' 35mm slide images
              THG_BO Level 3

Hello

here is an example what you can do with LR using the basic, tone curve and HSL panel.

capture_002_20082015_010644.jpgcapture_001_20082015_010627.jpg

capture_004_20082015_010749.jpgcapture_005_20082015_010806.jpg

• 4. Re: How best to develop 'old' 35mm slide images
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is the slide that red? I use a Canon scanner and I use the same scanning software you are using. I have set default settings for my scanner that it seem to work fairly well. I also scan as TIF images. When they are imported into Lightroom I have chosen to have sharpening and radius pushed all the way to the right, and I automatically move the clarity to +20. I have VueScan set to default settings as far as color is concerned. I find that quite often I will choose the Auto setting in the basic panel. Anyway, those settings work fairly well for me.

• 5. Re: How best to develop 'old' 35mm slide images
                  THG_BO Level 3

Hello Jim,

I am not the thread own, but I also want to answer.

For slides I use my DSLR and a macro lens together with projector. This works great and gives me the highest resolution.

For paper prints I use a scanner and try to ajust as much as possible in the scan software without loosing information.

• 6. Re: How best to develop 'old' 35mm slide images
                    JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have often wondered about doing that. But I don't have a projector anymore. I suspect I would probably get sharper images if I could do that. I can get plenty of resolution, that's not the problem.

• 7. Re: How best to develop 'old' 35mm slide images
                      Tafflad Level 1

I find that with people in picture pushing clarity gives poor results on faces

Interesting your comments on sharpening .... I'll give it a try