9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2015 8:17 PM by mvtdphoto

How to Add 2nd Hard Drive; first is full

mvtdphoto

LR 5.7 being used on an iMac with one Catalog and all images to this point on a single external drive.

Now that drive is near full so have a second drive ready to go.

I need advice on how to proceed. I think my options would be:

1. Continue with same Catalog but addressing 2 Hard drives (possible or not?) Does the Catalog stay where it is on Drive 1 or move it to new Drive 2?

2. Create new Catalog on new Hard Drive where the new and future images are stored. In this case, when I want to see/manipulate older images, I have to open the older Catalog I imagine and there is no way to have all images of both drives 'visible'  or accessible at same time.

Hopefully, I've explained this well enough. Appreciate any advice, thanks.

• 1. Re: How to Add 2nd Hard Drive; first is full
          dj_paige Level 9
          1. Yes its possible. Catalog goes on whatever drive you want it to be on
          2. Terrible idea. Terrible isn't a strong enough word to describe how bad this idea is. One catalog for all of your photos is the best way to go, partly because of the reasons you mentioned, but there are many other reasons as well.

So ... plug in the new hard drive ... next time you have some new photos, simply tell Lightroom to copy them from the camera card to the new hard drive. That's it.

• 2. Re: How to Add 2nd Hard Drive; first is full
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

1) Catalog stays where it is unless "YOU" move it. You could add 10, 20, 30 drives to your system and everything that is now on your original drive would remain exactly where it is. That is unless "YOU" move it.

2) Agree with above. NOTE. The catalog is just a Database file that references where your images are. Your images could be on one drive or 10+ drives. The LR catalog doesn't care. I have images on 3 different drives. One for personal stuff, one for work stuff and the third is for scans of old film images. All those images from all three drive are referenced in the LR catalog file.

You should have only ONE Catalog that references all your images no matter what drive they are on or what folder they are in.

• 3. Re: How to Add 2nd Hard Drive; first is full
              mvtdphoto Level 1

Thanks.

So, I had already tried as you said; just import to the new Hard drive but I get an error saying, "Your Disc #1 to which you are importing images is too low on space.", even though I have selected the new drive as the destination. Is the error telling me the Drive 1 is so low on memory, not even the Catalog can be added to? Can  I correct that by moving the old, existing Catalog to the new drive and then do the import?

• 4. Re: How to Add 2nd Hard Drive; first is full
                dj_paige Level 9

One thing at a time ... how much space is left on this Disc #1?

• 5. Re: How to Add 2nd Hard Drive; first is full
                  mvtdphoto Level 1

OK, well this is embarrassing b/c Capacity = 499.5 GB and Available is 270.5 MB! (yes, should have done this earlier )

Maybe I should first just move a lot of them off this drive to new one, such as last few months, to free some space?

• 6. Re: How to Add 2nd Hard Drive; first is full

mvtdphoto wrote:

Thanks.

So, I had already tried as you said; just import to the new Hard drive but I get an error saying, "Your Disc #1 to which you are importing images is too low on space.", even though I have selected the new drive as the destination. Is the error telling me the Drive 1 is so low on memory, not even the Catalog can be added to? Can  I correct that by moving the old, existing Catalog to the new drive and then do the import?

Do you have images on the new drive already? If you do then you select ADD in the Import dialog window not Copy or Move. If the images are on a memory card you select Copy or Move and then in the right hand column you select the new drive and a folder on that new drive to Copy the images to.

• 7. Re: How to Add 2nd Hard Drive; first is full
                      mvtdphoto Level 1

I am taking new images off a CF card so used Copy from card to New Drive (from top right of Import screen). The new drive has nothing on it but a named, empty folder. But I get the error I mentioned above which references the old drive even though I wasn't copying to it; that's where my confusion arose!

• 8. Re: How to Add 2nd Hard Drive; first is full

Well your post about the available space on drive 1 is telling. You simply do not have enough space on drive 1 to copy anything to it. That includes writing new entries to the LR catalog file. you need to move some things off drive 1. Don't move images unless you do that from within Lightroom.

But there is probably tons of stuff on drive 1 that can easily and safely move to the new drive or even deleted completely.

Never fill a drive. Always leave at least 10-20% free.

• 9. Re: How to Add 2nd Hard Drive; first is full
                          mvtdphoto Level 1

All fixed now!

I moved the most recent image folders from the Old drive to the New drive from within LR by simple drag/drop. (First, I tried a relatively small folder of images; after this worked, I selected larger numbers of folders and moved them together) This freed up ~20GB of space from the Old drive and now a new import of photos from my CF card to the new drive proceeded flawlessly.

Many thanks to both Shootistbond007 and dj_paige for your assistance; I'll monitor the new drive space better though it's 1 TB, so this won't come up again soon at my pace of work!