13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2015 7:16 AM by rob day

Crashing, PDF Failures, SO MANY PROBLEMS!

jmcullinan Level 1

I am at my wits' end with InDesign. I need to it just work, and it just isn't. Issues in order of frustration and desperation:

Issue 1: Crashing at various times for no consistent reason. Sometimes I'm trying to open the Character Palette. Sometimes I'm trying to click in a text box. Sometimes I'm changing the leading on a paragraph. Sometimes I'm resizing an image. Sometimes I'm adding a stroke to an image. Doesn't seem to matter, the  program crashes.

Issue 2: Exporting to PDF works intermittently. Sometimes it's fine. Sometimes I can export from the document file. Sometimes I have to do it from the book panel. Sometimes re-linking an image allows it to export. Sometimes that corrupts the whole document. It's not the same image or the same page every time - sometimes the page it stops on doesn't have any images. Sometimes it will only export a range of pages. Sometimes when it won't export the document as a whole it will export each page individually. Sometimes I can put the whole range of pages in to get the whole document to export; sometimes I can select "all pages" instead. When exporting from the document file, there's no useful error message, just "Failed to export PDF." When exporting from the book panel, I can see what page the status bar stopped on. It doesn't matter what PDF preset I use, though it's usually "Smallest File Size" for proofs.

Issue 3: Images becoming corrupted and not appearing in PDF exports, even though they show up on the page in the ID file. Sometimes I can't click on the image at all, even though it shows up in the Links panel, so I can't delete it, move it, nothing. Deleting it from the links panel does nothing - the "ghost image," and its text-wrap, still shows in the document, but there's a blank space when exporting to PDF. Sometimes an image with scaling, but often not - no consistency to what will throw it off. Images are generally grayscale pngs.

Issue 4: The program takes 10 full minutes to open.

Issue 5: The CC Libraries panel keeps reappearing in my workspace. I don't use it. I don't want to see it.

Issue 6: The Welcome screen comes up with every launch, no matter how many times I select the "don't show Welcome Screen" box. After waiting about 5 minutes to be able to get to the bottom of the screen in the first place.

Things I've done: reinstalled the whole program, including using the cleaner and trashing preferences. Trashing preferences and relaunching. Restarting the computer. Nothing works.

System: Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.4. No updates available. MacBook Pro 13-inch, early 2011. 2.7 GHz processor, 4 GB memory, Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB.

HELP. PLEASE.

• 1. Re: Crashing, PDF Failures, SO MANY PROBLEMS!
          sagar-khanna Adobe Employee

Hi Jess,

This looks really bad. We would need some more information so that we can look into your situation.

Can you please report a bug along with few crash logs in different situations.

Please also provide a document package along with all links that fail to export to pdf.

Are you working on some document saved over the network drive or are the documents saved locally on your machine?

Regards,

sagar

• 2. Re: Crashing, PDF Failures, SO MANY PROBLEMS!
            jmcullinan Level 1

My documents are proprietary and I cannot share them or the images. It is not consistent which documents and which images fail - seems to be different every time. I have also recreated documents from scratch to no avail. Documents and links are all local.

How do I get to crash logs? I can't find them on my system. I'm in the midst of reinstalling again to see if that helps me get some work done.

• 3. Re: Crashing, PDF Failures, SO MANY PROBLEMS!
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you tried running without any third party plugins or fonts that are not required? Also there are reports of browser plugins conflicting with CC.

You might look at a system maintenance app like Cocktail, which will run OSX's maintenance scripts, repair permissions and clear caches and logs.

• 4. Re: Crashing, PDF Failures, SO MANY PROBLEMS!
                jmcullinan Level 1

Not using any third party plugins on InDesign, and my font organization is immaculate. I have Cocktail and run it regularly.

Which browser plugins, and why would my browser have anything to do with InDesign?

• 5. Re: Crashing, PDF Failures, SO MANY PROBLEMS!

My documents are proprietary and I cannot share them or the images.

So it only happens with certain documents?

Which browser plugins, and why would my browser have anything to do with InDesign?

I had direct experience with FlashProCC and a Firefox plugin and it happened even when Firefox was not running. With InDesign the reports have been with Chrome—it would be worth disabling your plugins just as a check.

• 6. Re: Crashing, PDF Failures, SO MANY PROBLEMS!

and my font organization is immaculate

So are you using a font manager?

• 7. Re: Crashing, PDF Failures, SO MANY PROBLEMS!
                      jmcullinan Level 1

I'm working on a specific project, but new documents, recreated documents, it doesn't seem to matter. They've all been part of this same book project. I've changed fonts as well, and still the same PDF issues. The crashing issues are just ongoing.

• 8. Re: Crashing, PDF Failures, SO MANY PROBLEMS!
                        jmcullinan Level 1

No, I use Font Book. I just keep really good track of everything.

• 9. Re: Crashing, PDF Failures, SO MANY PROBLEMS!

but new documents, recreated documents, it doesn't seem to matter.

So why not provide Sagar with a sample document that doesn't include sensitive materials?

I just keep really good track of everything.

You could still have a corrupt font(s). A font manager like Font Agent Pro can scan and repair fonts.

• 10. Re: Crashing, PDF Failures, SO MANY PROBLEMS!
                            jmcullinan Level 1

Updates:

The Libraries Panel keeps coming back when I relaunch the program no matter how many times I dismiss it and deselect "Auto-show hidden panels."

I'm working on the PDF problem mostly as I'm not able to predict when the program will crash.

Multiple tests with different combinations of Chrome plugins running, with and without Chrome open, yield all different results. I'm going to rule out a browser extension conflict because there is no consistency as to whether exporting works or not in comparison to how Chrome is set up.

I'm working with a book project containing 9 individual files, 84 total pages, and 75 images, all grayscale pngs. The PDF export seems to fail on the same 3 pages in random order, so my next step is to recreate those individual files to see if that changes.

Consistent behavior is that a whole-book export from the Book panel will fail on one of those 3 pages about half the time. Opening and closing the file containing that page, no changes made, will allow the whole-book export to be successful about 75% of the time. Exporting to PDF from the file containing the problem page will consistently work as expected, except for once in a dozen tests - both as an individual page and in the whole file. Going to a whole-book export from there only works about half the time. Those 3 pages have all exported successfully individually, as part of a single file, and as part of a multi-file or whole-book export - but it's not consistent.

It doesn't seem to matter if files are open or closed when exporting from the Book panel, or if the export replaces and existing file or not. If the export fails on a replacement, the original PDF file is deleted. A change in fonts does nothing.

• 11. Re: Crashing, PDF Failures, SO MANY PROBLEMS!
                              jmcullinan Level 1

And another update:

Exported the files with "problem pages" to IDML, reimported, saved, created new book file. Exports to PDF seemed to work.

Created a new document and added it to the book file, added content and saved. Could not export from the file, but could from the book panel. It still seems utterly arbitrary as to whether it will work or not.

• 12. Re: Crashing, PDF Failures, SO MANY PROBLEMS!

Created a new document and added it to the book file, added content and saved

Then I would look at the content. Are the PNGs linked or embedded? PNGs aren't the best format for print I would try resaving them as PSDs

• 13. Re: Crashing, PDF Failures, SO MANY PROBLEMS!
                                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I would definitely NOT rule out a browser extension conflict. There are at least a half dozen Chrome plugins known to cause trouble in InDesign.

Export to PDF from a document is a background task, from the Book panel it's a foreground task, so this still sounds more like a software issue than a content issue.

• 14. Re: Crashing, PDF Failures, SO MANY PROBLEMS!

There are at least a half dozen Chrome plugins known to cause trouble in InDesign.

Also, with the FlashProCC/Firefox plugin conflict I mentioned, I had to uninstall the plugin—simply closing Firefox did not work and even a Safe boot didn't solve the problem.

On the content side, I don't think most print designers would choose PNG as an image format so it makes me wonder if the PNGs are coming from an unknown or unreliable web source. And then there are the reports of embedded images corrupting documents. Post #1 describes crashing during general use as well as PDF export.