6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2015 3:58 PM by A.T. Romano

Keep getting Premiere Pro message when project opened in Premiere Elememts 8.0

richardl79646568

I have 8.0 Premiere elements and it has worked fine. Had to reload program after hard drive cleaned and get the following message each time I try to open a project I have created " Projects created with Premiere Pro (it wasn't ) and Adobe Premiere Elements are not compatible. Please use the appropriate application to open this project"

I have been using this product for years and have never had this message before and I'm using same camera for videos. Even uninstalled and reinstalled but get same message. I do not have nor need Premiere Pro. 

• 1. Re: Keep getting Premiere Pro message when project opened in Premiere Elememts 8.0
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you ensured that you've also installed the version 8.01 patch for version 8?

• 2. Re: Keep getting Premiere Pro message when project opened in Premiere Elememts 8.0
            A.T. Romano Level 7

richardl

What you report is not something new. Although the steps leading up to the appearance of the message differ, the result is that puzzling "Projects created with Premiere Pro and Adobe Premiere Elements are not compatible" or something like that. We can see this in the 2011 thread where the user was in the process of creating a slideshow when this message appeared. Looks like update of 8.0 to 8.0.1 and uninstall/reinstall did not lead to resolution, and the thread was left dangling.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/791351?tstart=0

Note this thread also involved Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1. I recall seeing this message before a few times, but cannot find those threads at this time and do not recall seeing any fix for the issue..

Is there a Continue button on the message that pops up? If so, can you click Continue continuously to bypass the problem or are you stuck at that spot?

All that I find left to do are  remote and not so remote things to try...

1. Deletion of the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 Editor settings file (Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file) and the Elements Organizer 8 settings file (psa.prf).

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and, in the 8.0 Folder, is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 8.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Organizer

and, in the Organizer Folder, is the psa.prf file that you delete or disable by renaming to psa.prfOLD.

In either case, be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, or Drives enabled so that you can see the complete paths given.

Please consider, and let us know the outcome. We may have additional suggestions.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Keep getting Premiere Pro message when project opened in Premiere Elememts 8.0
              richardl79646568 Level 1

Thank you. I've been out of town and will attempt fix today. There is no continue button. I downloaded patch but got same result. Then removed whole program, reinstalled  and did not install patch and still have same result.  Was thinking of upgrading to Elements 13 but I don't want to spend the money and wind up with same issue. Really puzzling as program worked flawlessly--except for user error-- for years. Richard

• 4. Re: Keep getting Premiere Pro message when project opened in Premiere Elememts 8.0
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Richard

We will be looking forward to the results from your planned tests.

If history repeats itself, Adobe will be releasing a new version of Premiere Elements in September October 2015. From now until then, Adobe offers the current version (13) for tryout (free 30 days). If you are interested in 13, then please go the tryout route before purchase to assure the compatibility of 13 with your computer environment and project goals. The next version tryout (assumed named 14) should be available soon after the release of the 14 product.

I do not recall ever seeing one specific fix for that curious Premiere Pro message. I am hoping that something mentioned above will target and solve the problem.

Best wishes

ATR

• 5. Re: Keep getting Premiere Pro message when project opened in Premiere Elememts 8.0
                  richardl79646568 Level 1

AT,

It worked ! Had my IT guy dig in because the preferences are buried deep under My Computer and I could not find it. When IT reloaded the program after hard drive wiped they changed preferences. Each time I un-installed and re-installed the preferences did not change and that is why I kept getting the same error message. Works great now. Thanks for your help. Richard 

• 6. Re: Keep getting Premiere Pro message when project opened in Premiere Elememts 8.0
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Richard

That is wonderful news. Major contribution from you and your IT associate. This was a difficult issue. You both did well.

Now that message under your circumstances

Projects created with Premiere Pro and Adobe Premiere Elements are not compatible.

has a firm fix associated with it for others to go to and explore if and when they get that message in the course of a Premiere Elements workflow.

Best wishes

ATR