15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2015 10:28 AM by ProDesignTools

Do I get LR 6 standalone or CC

pondball Level 1

It's a little frustrating trying to get an answer from support as the links keep on cycling back to each other. My question, I think, is a pretty simple one.
      I only need Lightroom and have been trying out LR6 on a new rMBPro. I also have an older imac27" that has 16 Gb Ram and presently runs Mavericks but will soon run Yosemite to be in line with the MBPro. I also have an iPad I have been using for some editing using a RAW photo editor.

I don't have either a decent speed of hispeed or sufficient bandwidth to run CC and don't really need PhotoShop.

I'd like to host all my photos locally here on my home network as the Cloud is not an option given my Speed and BW... I can't seem to find an answer that would suggest that I would still get some of the updates that are apparently going to be ongoing with the CC version. From the list below it also looks like I would not be privy to the in-depth video tutorials. The mobile app on the iPad I can live without but synchronizing across my desktop and MBPro would be nice. I'm trusting I can do this with the standalone version? And will there be updates available if I purchased that version. I don't want to buy into the monthly plan as I have no need of either the Cloud storage or PhotoShop.

Which version should I get? Standalone or CC?

Use Lightroom on Mac, PC, iPhone, iPad and Android devices
      Access the full power of Photoshop CC
      Synchronize photos across desktop and devices
      Automatically import photos from mobile devices
      Edit raw files on mobile devices with Smart Previews
      Always stay up to date with the latest photography innovations from Adobe
      Share photos via web galleries with Lightroom on the web
      Get feedback on shared galleries in Lightroom
      Cut out and combine images on mobile devices with Photoshop Mix
      Get direct access to your Lightroom photos from the Adobe Voice and Slate storytelling apps
      Access Lightroom photos from a growing list of partner apps and services
      Learn from a library of in-depth video tutorials
        • 2. Re: Do I get LR 6 standalone or CC
          pondball Level 1

Akash... that's where I got the list of features in CC but missing from LR6 standalone in the first place so I have seen that link many times... but it does not answer my questions... I don't need a list of features... I need advice on which of the two versions i require given my specific set of circumstances

• 3. Re: Do I get LR 6 standalone or CC
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you want to have access to the "full power of Photoshop CC" then you need the creative cloud. That means you would want Lightroom CC. The program is precisely the same as Lightroom 6, except for the fact that Lightroom Mobile is there if you want to use it. If you don't want to use it you don't have to. I have synchronized a couple of collections, but I'm not a big user of Lightroom Mobile. I think it's important for you to understand that even if you have Lightroom CC the program is installed locally on your computer, and all the work that you do in Lightroom is stored locally on your computer. The only time the creative cloud comes into play is if you want to use Lightroom Mobile, and when it comes time to verify that your account is paid current. Other than that, Lightroom CC runs as a local program, saving your work locally, just like any other computer program. Just because you have Lightroom CC, it doesn't mean that your pictures are in the cloud and all of your work is in the cloud. That's a misconception that some people seem to have.

• 4. Re: Do I get LR 6 standalone or CC
              Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Lightroom 6 can do that job you mentioned .This is done by using External or network drive.And it might have a lot of complexities if not managed properly.

1>It requires one computer to be a “master”, which holds the latest and the most current version of the catalog. If another computer makes changes to the catalog, the catalog file must be copied back from that computer to the “master”, since regular backups are performed on the main machine.Since either machine can potentially add new or update existing photographs on it.

2>

Keep the Lightroom catalog catalog and Pictures on an Extenal drive and use it on your computers.

With Lighroom CC you have creative on Creative Cloud Folder which is uploaded on the Cloud that can be used on other computer too.

• 5. Re: Do I get LR 6 standalone or CC
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If the original poster indicates that he wants the full power of Photoshop CC, why would it make sense to purchase Lightroom 6 as a standalone program?

• 6. Re: Do I get LR 6 standalone or CC
                  John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is done by using External or network drive.And it might have a lot of complexities if not managed properly.

1>It requires one computer to be a “master”, which holds the latest and the most current version of the catalog. If another computer makes changes to the catalog, the catalog file must be copied back from that computer to the “master”, since regular backups are performed on the main machine.Since either machine can potentially add new or update existing photographs on it.

This suggestion seems to be  encouraging the Lightroom catalogue to be stored on a network drive which is not an option for Lightroom.

The catalogue must be seen by Lightroom to be local.

• 7. Re: Do I get LR 6 standalone or CC

That means you would want Lightroom CC. The program is precisely the same as Lightroom 6, except for the fact that Lightroom Mobile is there if you want to use it.

Whilst that has been true in the past, it's no longer the case.

The Lightroom CC feature set will continue to be improved and added to whilst the Lightroom 6 feature set will not.

e.g. the recent added Dehaze feature in CC will not be added to version 6. Version 6 users will have to pay for version 7 (if it eventuates) to get these features.

Other new and enhanced features will be coming to CC but not 6.

Adobe seems to be intent on creating daylight between CC and 6 so that prospective newbies will see compelling reasons to opt for CC over 6.

• 8. Re: Do I get LR 6 standalone or CC
                      pondball Level 1

HI Jim

that seems to be the answer I was looking for... its odd that i couldn't find the answer in the adobe specs etc. or website so I thank you for the clarity

indeed, all i want to do is work locally on my own computers and my concern was that by buying into the CC version (only half of what I need as I do not intend to use Photoshop) I would have to work within the Creative Cloud. I really do not like the idea of being held ransom for updates by having to purchase the cloud version as I have never experienced this form of "forced loyalty" in over 30 years of computing.

Again... my intent is to house my lrcat file on my MBPro which is my mac of choice these days but host the photo masters themselves on an EXD connected to my 27"iMac. Does this change if I go the CC route?

Its too bad I can't just purchase LR as that is all I need!

• 9. Re: Do I get LR 6 standalone or CC

Its too bad I can't just purchase LR as that is all I need!

You can. See Products

Lightroom 6 = perpetual license (not a Cloud product), pay once, own forever, minor updates free but must pay for future upgrades

Lightroom CC = subscription only, Cloud product but installs and runs locally, low monthly fee, all updates and upgrades included at no extra cost

• 10. Re: Do I get LR 6 standalone or CC
                          pondball Level 1

Hi John

Sorry... I probably meant to say It's too bad I can't just "subscribe" to LR as that is all I need!

I really just need the DAM and basic editing features of LR and rally don't need the full editing powers of PhotoShop. Is there an option to subscribe to just LR?

• 11. Re: Do I get LR 6 standalone or CC

Is there an option to subscribe to just LR?

No. Only the Photography Plan (PS+LR) but at $10/month that's pretty cheap anyway.

A Single App subscription to Photoshop on its own is $20/month which is a pointless offering in my view when a PS+LR plan is available at half the price.

Adobe really, really wants to encourage a PS+LR workflow but doesn't mean you HAVE to use Photoshop even if it's included in the plan.

• 12. Re: Do I get LR 6 standalone or CC
                              pondball Level 1

Hi John

lol... that really is odd... why would anyone in their right mind subscribe to PS on its own for $20 when the LR/PS combo is only $10?!?!?!

So... the LR I downloaded for a trial run (now expired). Is that the same one that if I subscribe will now become active... and I don't necessarily have to download PS?... And i can continue to work in my own little world here without posting or saving anything in the CC... unless I want to access it from LR mobile?... or can I use LR mobile on photos I save to my iCloud Drive account. Having too many clouds would get as mind messy as me having too many email accounts imo.

• 13. Re: Do I get LR 6 standalone or CC

why would anyone in their right mind subscribe to PS on its own for $20 when the LR/PS combo is only $10?!?!?!

Agreed. One of Adobe's quirkier marketing strategies - yet apparently some people do. Maybe they're not aware of the Photography Plan?

So... the LR I downloaded for a trial run (now expired). Is that the same one that if I subscribe will now become active... and I don't necessarily have to download PS?... And i can continue to work in my own little world here without posting or saving anything in the CC...

Correct.

I never use the Adobe Cloud storage. I prefer Dropbox.

• 14. Re: Do I get LR 6 standalone or CC
                                  pondball Level 1

Thanks again John... you've been a great help!

• 15. Re: Do I get LR 6 standalone or CC
                                    ProDesignTools MVP & Adobe Community Professional

John Waller wrote:

why would anyone in their right mind subscribe to PS on its own for $20 when the LR/PS combo is only $10?!?!?!

Agreed. One of Adobe's quirkier marketing strategies - yet apparently some people do. Maybe they're not aware of the Photography Plan?

It is a bit quirky, although there are a few other things you get with the PS single-app that you don't get with the Photography plan - like Typekit Portfolio, CC Market, and 10x the online storage:

Photoshop Help | Differences between Photoshop and Creative Cloud Photography Programs

On the original question, this guide may also help re: comparing the options regarding Lightroom:

What Are the Differences Between Adobe Lightroom CC vs. LR 6?