5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2015 1:22 PM by stuartseddon

Layers are there but not visible

stuartseddon

Hi all

I've opened my document (see below) and found that most of my layers are there but not visible.

This file was fully working yesterday.

The only thing that I've changed recently was to switch the auto save off (and I also deleted the saved files – I like a tidy folder)

I've tried to render it thinking the layers might show up in the movie, but no such luck.

I haven't installed any third party effects or codecs.

Help!

Screen Shot 2015-08-07 at 10.53.54.png

After Effects CC version 13.5.1.48 (Installed update today)

OS X Yosemite 10.10.4

Macbook Air (mid-2011)

1.7 GHz Intel Core i5

Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

• 1. Re: Layers are there but not visible
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Check the footage interpretation of the source AI files. There could be issues with the rasterization quality setting. also double-check your stuff in AI in terms of group and sub-layer visibilities. AE only sees the top layers.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Layers are there but not visible
            stuartseddon Level 1

Thanks – I've checked my AI file and it all seems fine. Group and sub layers are visible.

• 3. Re: Layers are there but not visible
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm wondering how you created comp 1. It looks to me like you grabbed a bunch of AI layers from the Project Panel and dropped them into a timeline. The second layer is labeled bg/profile AE 1.1.ai which makes me believe that it is a white background layer that is hiding everything else. This makes me assume that you are new to importing Illustrator files a compositions. There are a bunch of comps in the Project panel that appear to have come from importing AI files a comps. Those are normally the comps you would use as a starting point for a project. Check them to see if they work as expected.

If it isn't simply layer order that has things fouled up then try soloing each layer one at a time and check the layer's properties. Simply press the U key twice to reveal the any property that has been modified. If you don't see anything there then locate that layer in the Project panel and double click the layer to open the layer in the footage panel. If you don't see anything there then check for a white layer below the last visible layer. If that doesn't help then select any Illustrator layer in the project panel and use the Edit original feature and check the layer in AI. If you have layers with black type, and it looks like you do, then turn on the transparency grid or put a colored solid at the bottom of layer stack so you can see the black layers.

I want to add a design note. The text layers look awfully thin and thin doesn't work very well for video. Single pixel or single point lines in AI that work well there can be hugely problematic when you make a video because they don't scale or move well and it's easy to position them out of alignment with the pixel grid which makes them change color and look soft.

• 4. Re: Layers are there but not visible
                stuartseddon Level 1

Thanks for the detailed answer Rick!

Yes, I'm new to importing into AE. In fact, I'm new to AE

I'll work through your answer and see if I uncover anything.

• 5. Re: Layers are there but not visible
                  stuartseddon Level 1

I worked through your pointers and everything within the file seemed to be as it should be.

Then I did a save as in my AI file and hey presto!....it resynced with AE and everything appeared!

Still scratching my head, but at least it's fixed.

Thanks for your help.

Screen Shot 2015-08-07 at 21.16.04.png