7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2015 7:47 PM by A.T. Romano

About to lose my mind: burning to DVD

Joris W

Hi dear Adobe Forums users,

I have been here previously to address a problem concerning grainy images when burning to DVD: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1622000

Back then, after the problem was solved, I burnt a DVD to show the final version to the person I made the video for. Everything was approved, so now I wanted to burn 20 DVD's for all of my family members. Unfortunately, I cannot even manage to burn one!

Everything works fine initially; 'encoding media' , 'compiling media' and then it says 'burning to disc'. The progress bar immediately shoots to 5% (which is equivalent to 1/20 I suppose), the DVD is ejected and I get to see: 'unknown error 2130932483'

About six months ago when I burnt the preview version, I also got this error, but a second attempt did succeed. However, I have now tried six different discs, to no avail.

According to other topics and internet searches, the problem is likely to be hidden inside the burner hard- or software. Let me state what I have already done so far:

• try six different discs, of the same brand, and out of two different packages. However, the one succeeded disc (6 months ago) was also from one of the packs. (Philips DVD-R, 1-16x)
      • rebooted system multiple times
      • uninstall / reinstall the burner driver (Burner is Optiarc BD ROM BC-5500S)
      • uninstall all burner related software (ImgBurn / Nero cover designer)

What I have further tried and something that works like a charm, is burn to a folder. This eliminates the possibility of PRE not cooperating with the burner.

Now this seems like a very stupid question, but how on earth do I burn the folder on a DVD so it can be viewed on a DVD player like a normal video-DVD?

Is there some handy (free) burning software available for this task? Please help, because I am about to lose my mind.....

PS. The first attempt I made today actually worked, and PRE told me the burn was successful, however, when I inserted the DVD in my DVD player no audio was present??? As mentioned before, I could not reproduce this.

• 1. Re: About to lose my mind: burning to DVD
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>What I have further tried and something that works like a charm, is burn to a folder. This eliminates the possibility of PRE not cooperating with the burner.

Use Imgburn to write an ISO or folder to disc... read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1322583 for notes on installing Imgburn WITHOUT any toolbar add-ons... Set Imgburn to use the slowest burn speed your drive and media will use... I set my burn speed to 1x and let Imgburn adjust to the actual minimum

• 2. Re: About to lose my mind: burning to DVD
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Joris W

As you know, Premiere Elements 11 does not have a burn to ISO Image option in its Publish+Share/Disc/DVD choices. If you are successful with the burn to Folder (4.7 GB) or burn to Folder (8.5 GB) with the PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD preset, that is pointing to the burner and/or DVD disc as possible causes of your burn to disc issues. Apparently you are not dealing with the classical Burner location = empty and Status = Media Not Present.

In a time crunch and since burn to folder is working for you, you can burn the Timeline content to Folder (4.7 or 8.5 GB whichever is applicable), and then take only the VIDEO_TS Folder from the saved folder to PAL DVD-VIDEO Widescreen using the free ImgBurn program. Do you know how to use ImgBurn? See

How to burn a DVD Folder with ImgBurn - AfterDawn: Guides

It sounds like you downloaded and installed ImgBurn before so you should be very aware of it pitfalls and how to navigate to a safe download and install of it.

Ordinarily, you do not need an AUDIO_TS Folder to put into ImgBurn along with the VIDEO_TS Folder. But, if it turns out that you need it for disc-player compatibility issue, I can tell you how to do that easily.

Do you have a copy of the PAL DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc that you were so pleased with. If so, why not take the easy way out for meeting the immediate needs for 20 copies of that DVD disc by using the burn software that came with the burner and its Exact copy feature? It should give excellent results.

Please review and consider. Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: About to lose my mind: burning to DVD
              Joris W Level 1

I see that I have missed some important information:
              I am running Adobe Premiere Elements 11

Windows 7 64bit

Use Imgburn to write an ISO or folder to disc... read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1322583 for notes on installing Imgburn WITHOUT any toolbar add-ons... Set Imgburn to use the slowest burn speed your drive and media will use... I set my burn speed to 1x and let Imgburn adjust to the actual minimum

PRE 11 does not have the possibility to make an ISO file unfortunately, but burning folders actually works. A feature I overlooked when I tried it before.

Hi, ATR, always a pleasure to hear from you! You helped me solve my previous issue as well.

As you know, Premiere Elements 11 does not have a burn to ISO Image option in its Publish+Share/Disc/DVD choices. If you are successful with the burn to Folder (4.7 GB) or burn to Folder (8.5 GB) with the PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD preset, that is pointing to the burner and/or DVD disc as possible causes of your burn to disc issues. Apparently you are not dealing with the classical Burner location = empty and Status = Media Not Present.

In a time crunch and since burn to folder is working for you, you can burn the Timeline content to Folder (4.7 or 8.5 GB whichever is applicable), and then take only the VIDEO_TS Folder from the saved folder to PAL DVD-VIDEO Widescreen using the free ImgBurn program. Do you know how to use ImgBurn? See

How to burn a DVD Folder with ImgBurn - AfterDawn: Guides

It sounds like you downloaded and installed ImgBurn before so you should be very aware of it pitfalls and how to navigate to a safe download and install of it.

Ordinarily, you do not need an AUDIO_TS Folder to put into ImgBurn along with the VIDEO_TS Folder. But, if it turns out that you need it for disc-player compatibility issue, I can tell you how to do that easily.

Do you have a copy of the PAL DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc that you were so pleased with. If so, why not take the easy way out for meeting the immediate needs for 20 copies of that DVD disc by using the burn software that came with the burner and its Exact copy feature? It should give excellent results.

Yes, I also concluded that the problem had to be in the burner. However, unable to solve it and going through the process of compiling and encoding EVERY try (which takes about 45 mins), I wanted to try a more robust way.
              Burning to folder already succeeded. Thanks for the link, that answers some questions I had concerning the AUDIO_TS folder for example. Safe installation is not a problem, I know the pitfalls of free software...

No, the copy of the previously successful burn is not in my possession, furthermore I want to have a fool proof workflow that I can follow for the future too. This will not be my last project using PRE, and I don't want to struggle every time when burning a DVD.

Anyhow, thanks to you both!

• 4. Re: About to lose my mind: burning to DVD
                Joris W Level 1

A final recap for users in the future who encounter the same problem:

1) Burn to folder (4.7 or 8.5 GB whichever is applicable)

1a) Remove the OpenDVD folder
                1b) Add empty AUDIO_TS folder for compatibility with certain Panasonic DVD players

2) Download and install ImgBurn

3) Use the 'Write files/folders to disc, select both folders. Also make sure to select the right burn speed (compatible with your hardware and DVD), otherwise this may cause errors.

• 5. Re: About to lose my mind: burning to DVD
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Joris W

Thanks for the follow up and the good news of your progress in obtaining your video goal.

As I understood your original problem, you needed 20 copies of a DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc that you produced with Premiere Elements.

Premiere Elements burn to disc in this case does have a  "copies" option in its burn to disc dialog. Since you already went through the project's burn to and had your disc, how did you decide to make your 20 copies of that disc?

If you use the project and go to burn to folder and go the AUDIO_TS Folder/VIDEO_TS Folder route that you describe, are you making your multiple (20) copies as part of the ImgBurn process? If so, how is that turning out for you?

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: About to lose my mind: burning to DVD
                    Joris W Level 1

ATR, I'm not entirely sure what your question exactly is.

I am aware of the 'copies' option in the burning area of PRE, but as I mentioned, burning failed immediately at the first disc. So I burnt to folder instead. Then I used ImgBurn to burn all 20 DVD's using a similar feature in ImgBurn under the 'Device' tab. Here you can select the number of copies you want.

Unfortunately, ImgBurn also kept returning an error (hey, there's a reason for PRE not wanting to burn, so why would ImgBurn be any better?). When it wanted to start burning it returned: 'power calibration area error'. Using some internet searches I found out that this could have about three different causes.

Most likely, bad media. As I was using Philips DVD and not some sort of cheap stuff I disregarded this. (Also 6 months back I succeeded with these kind of discs).

Another setting which was suggested by multiple users was not an issue anymore after windows XP. As I am using Win7 this did not affect me.

The third possible cause was a dirty laser, as this error is caused by the inability of ImgBurn to detect the power of the laser required to burn the disc. I remembered I should have a cleaning disc laying around somewhere and in fact I did. Used it to clean the lens and all was good by then. 20 DVD's burned in succession by ImgBurn without a single error or hiccup!

Another advantage of using ImgBurn to burn the discs is that is gives full control over the burning process, something that PRE does not allow. So in fact I would recommend burning to folder and then use ImgBurn. This way you can also get rid of the OpenDVD folder and replace it with an empty AUDIO_TS folder.

Side note here, I have not tried to burn another DVD directly from PRE to check if the 'unknown error' as described in the opening post was caused by the dirty laser/lens.

• 7. Re: About to lose my mind: burning to DVD
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Joris W

Thanks for your reply.

My question was

Since you already went through the project's burn to and had your disc, how did you decide to make your 20 copies of that disc?

Thank you answering the question and for the details of what you did.

Best wishes

ATR