20 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2015 1:40 PM by StormyCPb

Need Ideas for my Shatter map.

clauderozsa Level 1

Hi everyone.

This is not a real problem but a search for ideas toget a more appropriate look to the shatter of my effect. I have a statue or a mummy whatever you wish to call it which will progressively shatter and being replaced by the human being which is encased in the pumices  and gives him the appearance of that statue. When the casing will have been totally demolished the man will come back to life. My first attempt as to find the right parameters to make the shatter work is more or less ok. But I'm absolutely not satisfied with the custom map I've used following the tutorial I found on youtube. As one can see on the attached clip, the result looks more like rain than pumices crumbling around the guy I'll post behind the statue to be uncovered.  The use of Fractal noise here whatever type I set up gives horrible results.

Has anyone some idea of what I could use to serve as a custom map to my purpose. Pumices are small very light rocks. Actually the statue in question was the encased body of one of the victims of the Pompeii disaster. He was found in the great Palestra and by the way he holds his hands in front of his face, either he was trying not to suffocate or protecting himself from tumbling parts of the roof above him in the corridor where his body was found. Actually this is a casting of his body. Plaster was injected in the layers of pumices and revealed his form and even some of his features and cloths aspect.

Thanks in advance

Claude

• 1. Re: Need Ideas for my Shatter map.
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Some parts of that look really good. What does your current Shatter Map look like?

You might consider using the Cell Pattern effect on top of your Fractal Noise.

• 2. Re: Need Ideas for my Shatter map.
            clauderozsa Level 1

Hi Michael

In fact I've completely changed my shatter system and gone back to the preset . I've used the gass effect and it's better than I thought. I used also some of the ideas of Andrew Kramer's tutorial on the matter and I think It's not too bad but for the speed which I've made too slow, but this is simple to adjust as I have other things to change too perspective wise.

The next step now is to animate my DAZ STUDIO 3 Roman character once the pumices have gone and he comes back to life. I will upload on Vimeo tonight or tomorrow the 3 minutes clip already done of the overture and if you have some time look at it and give any comments to make things look better.

Meanwhile a picture of the shattering letting the man appear.

Before:

screenshot_Mon_Aug_10_21.17.58.png

After:

screenshot_Mon_Aug_10_21.16.04.png

Thanks

Claude

• 3. Re: Need Ideas for my Shatter map.

It's not looking too bad!

You might consider a second copy of your shatter layer with some parameters changed put behind the guy so that it seems like he's in the middle of the rock instead of the rock just coming off of the front of him.

• 4. Re: Need Ideas for my Shatter map.
                clauderozsa Level 1

Hi Michael,

Thanks again, I'm uploading on Vimeo the clip of the 7 minutes overture.

Should be online around 1 am Paris time.

Well as for your suggestion, the rock comes off piece by piece because

it's a casting of the guy in-cased in it.

In 1860 the Director of the site of Pompeii, Giuseppe Fiorelli,  had the

idea to introduce liquid plaster into the lava where he had noticed

curious voids. When the lava was afterwards taken off, appeared the

molding of the corpse of the victim who had

decayed at that same place. The molding had the advantage of showing all

the features of the clothes and even the

face of the victim. In Herculaneum this was not the case because most of

the people were able to flee the eruption but

the corpses discovered in the early 1980s were protected by the

pyroclastic deposits at some state. About 300 people

were found in the vaults near the harbor. They sought protection under

the heavy walls. Unfortunately for them the heat

of the pyroclastic surge is super high; around 700 to 900°C and

dessicate everything before even it reaches you. Brains

boil and explodes. Flesh disappears instantly and thank god the poor

victim is not even aware of what happens as he dies

instantly. The result was that during the discovery of the vaults, the

archaeologists discovered their bones intact lying in their

final position. For some of them it was even possible to say which

disease they were affected during their lifetime. Scientists

were able to study the bones and determined the temperature which

resulted in very peculiar coloration of the cranium by cooking

fresh animal bones till the bone reached the same coloration hence the

estimated temperature of the pyroclastic surge which

arrives at twice the speed of sound! If you're interested, there are

very interesting documentaries on youtube on Pompeii and Herculaneum.

The guy I put in the corridor of the Palestra is this one:

Unfortunately my attempt to transform into a 3D object the picture for

E3D did not give

a good result. I'll try later to see what I can do with C4D. So my idea

is to have the guy

coming back to life while the plaster crumbles and reveals its

features.I think my last

test corresponds to what I'm looking for. This guy was found near the

latrines of the Palestra

which was the gym of the city near the Amphitheater. Either he was

killed by the toxic

emanations from the pumices and that would explain the position of his

hands, or he was

knocked down by debris from the roof of the gallery where he was

attempting to find protection.

Herculaneum is much more interesting because the town was not destroyed

by the falling pumices

but by the surge which entered the houses like water and cooked

everything. After the excavations were done it

was possible to find wooden furniture intact although transformed into

carbon. You can see the decoration

on the wood; they found ropes of boatmen intact too, food, etc...

There's actually a thorough study of the

sewers of the town and from its contents one is able to give a detail

account of what romans ate everyday. It

shows that contrary to clichés, the slaves were quite well fed.

Scientists could locate part of the sewers corresponding

to slaves or common people habitats  in the town. It's an amazing site

and I can go there again and again and discover things

I missed before.

best

Claude

Le 10/08/2015 22:21, Szalam a écrit :

>

Adobe Community <https://forums.adobe.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

>

réponse de Szalam

<https://forums.adobe.com/people/Szalam?et=watches.email.thread> dans

/After Effects/ - Afficher la discussion complète

<https://forums.adobe.com/message/7848654?et=watches.email.thread#7848654>

>

• 5. Re: Need Ideas for my Shatter map.
                  clauderozsa Level 1

You can check my clip here: *https://vimeo.com/133839877

*Any suggestions is most welcome.

Claude

Le 11/08/2015 00:11, Claude ROZSA a écrit :

Hi Michael,

Thanks again, I'm uploading on Vimeo the clip of the 7 minutes

overture. Should be online around 1 am Paris time.

Well as for your suggestion, the rock comes off piece by piece because

it's a casting of the guy in-cased in it.

In 1860 the Director of the site of Pompeii, Giuseppe Fiorelli, had

the idea to introduce liquid plaster into the lava where he had noticed

curious voids. When the lava was afterwards taken off, appeared the

molding of the corpse of the victim who had

decayed at that same place. The molding had the advantage of showing

all the features of the clothes and even the

face of the victim. In Herculaneum this was not the case because most

of the people were able to flee the eruption but

the corpses discovered in the early 1980s were protected by the

pyroclastic deposits at some state. About 300 people

were found in the vaults near the harbor. They sought protection under

the heavy walls. Unfortunately for them the heat

of the pyroclastic surge is super high; around 700 to 900°C and

dessicate everything before even it reaches you. Brains

boil and explodes. Flesh disappears instantly and thank god the poor

victim is not even aware of what happens as he dies

instantly. The result was that during the discovery of the vaults, the

archaeologists discovered their bones intact lying in their

final position. For some of them it was even possible to say which

disease they were affected during their lifetime. Scientists

were able to study the bones and determined the temperature which

resulted in very peculiar coloration of the cranium by cooking

fresh animal bones till the bone reached the same coloration hence the

estimated temperature of the pyroclastic surge which

arrives at twice the speed of sound! If you're interested, there are

very interesting documentaries on youtube on Pompeii and Herculaneum.

The guy I put in the corridor of the Palestra is this one:

Unfortunately my attempt to transform into a 3D object the picture for

E3D did not give

a good result. I'll try later to see what I can do with C4D. So my

idea is to have the guy

coming back to life while the plaster crumbles and reveals its

features.I think my last

test corresponds to what I'm looking for. This guy was found near the

latrines of the Palestra

which was the gym of the city near the Amphitheater. Either he was

killed by the toxic

emanations from the pumices and that would explain the position of his

hands, or he was

knocked down by debris from the roof of the gallery where he was

attempting to find protection.

Herculaneum is much more interesting because the town was not

destroyed by the falling pumices

but by the surge which entered the houses like water and cooked

everything. After the excavations were done it

was possible to find wooden furniture intact although transformed into

carbon. You can see the decoration

on the wood; they found ropes of boatmen intact too, food, etc...

There's actually a thorough study of the

sewers of the town and from its contents one is able to give a detail

account of what romans ate everyday. It

shows that contrary to clichés, the slaves were quite well fed.

Scientists could locate part of the sewers corresponding

to slaves or common people habitats  in the town. It's an amazing site

and I can go there again and again and discover things

I missed before.

best

Claude

Le 10/08/2015 22:21, Szalam a écrit :

>>

>>

>>   Adobe Community <https://forums.adobe.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

>>

>>

>>     Need Ideas for my Shatter map.

>>

>> réponse de Szalam

>> <https://forums.adobe.com/people/Szalam?et=watches.email.thread> dans

>> /After Effects/ - Afficher la discussion complète

>> <https://forums.adobe.com/message/7848654?et=watches.email.thread#7848654>

>>

>>

• 6. Re: Need Ideas for my Shatter map.

Claude Rozsa wrote:

You can check my clip here: *https://vimeo.com/133839877

*Any suggestions is most welcome.

I liked the music towards the end. It was very peaceful.

• 7. Re: Need Ideas for my Shatter map.
                      clauderozsa Level 1

Thanks but I suppose there are others things you noticed; don't be afraid to critizice or make suggestions I'm here to learn

• 8. Re: Need Ideas for my Shatter map.

Well, since you asked, I'll mention some other things I noticed.

Don't be discouraged by the size of this response, you've made a long piece so there's a lot to comment on. You're hear to learn and I hope this can help.

I had typed up a big, long reply, but it didn't go through, so I'll try again. I'll try to be a little more concise this time.

The main, overall issue is the lack of story. It starts with a text crawl, but nothing happens after that until the end. The rest of the video is randomly flying around space without any apparent reason.

By the way, unless you're doing a story set in the Star Wars universe, you shouldn't use the Star Wars intro text like that.

In Star Wars, after the title crawl, the camera turns to a planet or a spaceship flying by and then it cuts to action on that planet or spaceship. In your case, we see a planet (which I assume is Earth), but then we just go to another, seemingly random place (filled with asteroids) after that. This confuses the viewer.

Also, the stars in the background of the intro shot of Earth shouldn't be moving. Unless your story is set in a time with the universe collapsing or the camera is supposed to be flying at many times light speed, you wouldn't see the stars moving like that. Since we're clearly not moving very fast (Earth comes into the shot and just sits there), the stars should be sitting still. Well, they should move in response to the camera tilting down towards Earth, but certainly not moving towards us with parallax.

Speaking of the camera movement, it's rough. When the camera stops moving and we're looking at Earth, it's just sudden and jerky. You may not want to dive into the graph editor to actually work on your animation (even though you should), but you should at least use the Easy Ease function on your keyframes.

Why do we cut from Earth to asteroids?

There are no asteroids that close to the sun.

Why is the sun so dark? The cool thing about the Video Copilot tutorial that sun came from is that it looks really fiery and bright. Whenever the sun is depicted in film, it's really bright. You should follow convention in this area. That dim sun just looks weird.

If that were the sun, what's lighting up the back of the asteroids? If there are asteroids that close to the sun, they should be just black silhouettes with light wrap.

Speaking of the asteroids, at 1:43, one of them on the left side suddenly jumps its rotation.

In fact, this reminds me, the lighting on all of your planets (especially Jupiter, Saturn, and Mars) is way off. The only major light source in our solar system is the sun. The side of the planets not facing the sun should be very, very dark, if not completely black. Yours look like they're lit by two or three light sources.

The bands around Saturn don't seem to have any dimension. It's like you're just scaling up a picture instead of us flying towards a planet. Speaking of the segment with Saturn, are we supposed to be flying through it? Because it comes right at the screen not past.

The little satellite by Jupiter is rotating wildly. Most people don't know why this seems wrong, but it looks weird. Unless that's supposed to be broken, dead, and out of control, the solar panels should be pointing towards the sun, not spinning wildly about. (And, if it's supposed to be dead, there should be some debris to demonstrate that.)

The space station by Mars needs some work. Element has a great glow feature that you should use to make those windows seem to be lit. And you should make the lighting a lot more interesting. As it is, it just looks like an asset from a video game from the 90's. Also, the space station and Mars seem to be moving randomly with no connection. If the viewer supposed to be flying past them in space, it doesn't feel right.

At 3:30, we start a very long shot of the Earth and moon. There are several issues with this. The biggest issue is that it's very long. From fade up to where the moon crosses and wipes to the other Earth model is a minute and a half. That's about a minute and twenty-five seconds too long. Also, if we're going to see the clouds moving that quickly over the face of the Earth, their shape should change too. Use some Turbulent Displace or something on the clouds so that they seem to flow and change like real clouds do.

The camera jerks to a halt before the moon comes across and the shot continues. It shouldn't stop. If it does stop, it should ease to a halt. Again, ease the keyframes or, if you want to be a good animator, learn to work with the graph editor.

After the moon wipes across the screen (way too close for the quality of the texture), we see a different shot of the Earth. This one doesn't have water, but has a blue-colored map of the contours under the ocean. Either there should be no water and it's brown because the Earth has dried up, or there should be water there. Solid blue.

From there, the zoom into Pompeii (I assume that's where we're zooming to) is really rough.

At 5:38, we start my least favorite part of the video.

The spaceship wiggles one direction and then jerks to a stop and turns again. As with the previous animation issues, ease it at least.

The spaceship doesn't seem to be doing anything. It is just sitting there randomly wiggling while still images appear underneath it.

Those images (which look like JPEG's that have been resized much to large for their detail) just seem to be scaling and moving position. If you're trying to make it look like the ship is flying over the land, it's not working for many of those shots. You need a lot more parallax for an angled shot of buildings. One or two of the top-down shots do work a bit, but the ship's movement doesn't match.

The Millennium Falcon is too recognizable. Unless this is supposed to be in the Star Wars universe, don't use it; use a more generic ship.

Whatever ship model you use, it shouldn't have big red parts on it. The gun and the antenna dish are bright red on your model.

The ship model is lit in a very flat way and it almost looks like line art.

At 6:21, is the ship meant to be landing? The scale is off. That ship should be much bigger on the screen if it's this side of those trees.

At 6:31, we have some parallax, but the trees are floating. They need to be anchored to the ground!

At 6:50, look at the shadow on the wall. If the statue isn't moving, the shadow shouldn't be either, but it is.

When the rock falls off of the guy, it seems like some of the pieces are floating.

When the rock falls off of the guy, it only falls off the front, we don't see any pieces behind him.

When we see the guy, he's not lit like the rest of the scene. In your scene, the light is coming all from the left, but the guy is lit very evenly from his front.

I hope that's helpful.

• 9. Re: Need Ideas for my Shatter map.
                          StormyCPb Level 3

When it comes to the encased character, the stone color should match the surroundings, to a degree at least... its too grey, and if you look at the shadows in the background, they're very light and diffuse, but your shadow is pretty heavy and too obvious. I'd also try and get rid of that dark outline around your stone, it's the biggest culprit for spotting fake cgi, and you need to match the image quality of your background, which a lower resolution, so perhaps add a slight blur or even a tiny amount of jpeg compression effect to your stone and character... or replace the background for a higher quality one (better option!)

• 10. Re: Need Ideas for my Shatter map.
                            clauderozsa Level 1

Thanks Stormy for your remarks. There's only one thing where it is not right. The color of the stone is not the same of the surroundings and can't be because it is plaster. In fact it should be whiter than it appears in the shot. The rest is the original color of the walls before the eruption. Between 1860 and 1870 when Giuseppe Fiorelli was the director of the archaeological site of Pompeii he discovered that there were kind of void spaces in the lava and pumices deposits which totaled a height of about 7 meters. Fiorelli decided to have plaster flowed into those holes and then when it was solidified to have the lava taken out as logically this would act like a mould. That's how the corpses were found in Pompeii. My guy is taken from a famous photograph of one of the victim whose corpse is exhibit in the granary of the forum today. It was found in the Latrines of the great Palestra. The man or woman (?)thought to be secure there; from the position of his hands either he was trying to protect himself from dust or more probably saw at the last second one of the pyroclastic surge reaching the Palestra. Another possibility is also that he was suffocating and trying to refrain from inhaling the toxic fumes which always emanates from pumices. I took the picture of the guy and then for my shot deleted everything around the statue with photoshop.

As for the background my problem is that there are few pictures of the gallery free of copyright on the web, I myself could not take a shot because the Palestra is for the moment closed to the public and I could not take pictures there last June when I was there. In 2009 I think the Palestra was also closed.

About the dark line around him I agree with you but have not yet succeeded to get rid of it. I also agree with you for the rest of your comment.

This is far from being in my mind the final state of my videos. Don't forget that a/ I'm not a professional and don't pretend to be b/ I'm far from mastering all the tricks and options and possibilities of AE. I'm not so bold as to pretend to master them in less than 2 years. This is really my first major project. It came to my mind in 2009 after a trip in the region and reading Théophile Gautier's novel "Arria Marcella" on which I base my story.

It's funny to realize that although the Story of the mummy by the same author has been the source of many movies which are generally huge stupidities, this very short one (60 pages) is neglected when it could be a fantastic base for a scenario. Instead of the last stupid production of Pompeii recently shown in theaters indulging for violence and special effects for the sake of them, such a scenario in the hands of a great scriptwriter and director could lead to a very interesting study of characters. Unfortunately today the level in culture worldwide is falling down at the speed of light!

Claude

• 11. Re: Need Ideas for my Shatter map.
                              clauderozsa Level 1

Thanks Michael for all these remarks. No I'm not discouraged by the size of your response. Most of your comments have already occurred to my mind and are noted on a check list I make while working and checking my result.

I'm not the kind of guy portrayed by Molière at the beginning of "The Misanthrope", who becomes furious when Alceste tells him his poem is good to be thrown to the loo!

From a professional standpoint "my poem" should be! Well I'm not a professional and don't pretend to be and I'm learning on the spot.

I will not comment your remarks, as all of them but one have already come to my mind but for lack of solution as of now I could not correct the mistakes I made. Let's say that this is a kind of sketch of my project. I've built a plan of my story and build it chapter by chapter grossly then will refine each one when I have approximately defined the length of each paragraph.

In some ways I use the same method here as I did when writing my financial analysis in my job as a banker.

Introduction: this is the Prelude -- The eruption, the town destroyed and the victims.

Part 1: Overture and 1st act -- the guys from a distant planet arrive, find the body in the Palestra which comes back to life (scene 1) and will lead them to a visit of Pompeii (Scene 2---->scene NNNN). Each time they enter a building it recovers its original splendor.

Part 2: Act 2 visit of Herculaneum - Oplontis and Stabiae

Conclusion: Return to the Palestra- Farewell- The guy returns to its former state and while the visitors leave a new and final eruption destroys the whole region. Pompeii has disappeared for ever.

So yes there is a story. But the overture video is truncated as there is not what will follow. I have for the moment sorted my some 20 hours of film shot on location during my 99-2009-2015 visits there. When I shoot I have already in my mind an idea of I will do with the shot. In those sites my first aim was to shoot without any tourist in the background, la mama, lo papa e la tantina di Napoli: OUT!.

I have not transferred to video my super 8 film shot in 66 which might contain interesting shots of places today closed to the public for repairs or definitely lost because of the scandalous way Italy takes care of its precious cultural heritage which represents as of today 14% of the classified listed world heritage with UNESCO . The United States represent 5.5% and France 11.4%. Today said one of the archaeologists of the site of Pompeii, when 1 destruction of a villa in the site is mentioned in the press, 9 others have occurred at the same time!

For instance by pure chance I discovered I had a shot of the Gladiators tavern I took in 2009. It was totally destroyed in November 2010 because of rain and probably also because of the weight of the structure (roof and scaffolding) set up on the walls. All the precious frescoes which gave us huge information on the way those guys lived are lost forever! That's how are preserved ruins which 2000 years under pumices and lava had left intact for us to see and that our irresponsible behavior are destroying at this rate in less than 2 centuries.

It may seem ridiculous to mention all this here, but for me no archaeological site in the world encompasses the Campania region precious heritage. One has to be there to understand the shock you get when entering those villas in Pompeii and Herculaneum. When I enter those sites I've visited so many times (57-66-86-99-2009-2015- each time four or five days consequently! I'm not visiting Europe in 24 days! I've hiked 800 kms in Grand Canyon, that's how I visit a country or particular site and before getting there it's thoroughly prepared.)

For many of your remarks I still have to find a way how to deal with them because of a lack of knowledge. Many videos tutorials are difficult to follow because of the obvious lack of skill as teachers of those who uploaded them. It' a nonsense to leave a background music while you explain how to make an effect. We don't care to learn in a tutorial that the speaker was ill or that his effect is "cool" or not, this is for us viewers to judge and if we look at the tutorial it's probably because it is. For a foreigner like me there's also the language barrier not to mention that I have to adjust each time to a different accent. You have the guy who speaks too fast and has a bad diction which makes understanding him even more difficult. There is also the cost which is a barrier to better ones (not always by the way; skill and quality are not proportional to the price you pay for the formation contrary to the usual cliché) . Most of the time you don't know which version of AE the guy uses. With Cinema4D most of the time the guy uses the complete version which is absolutely out of my reach financially speaking and I WILL NOT follow the advice of some of the guys who have uploaded tutorials saying bluntly or not, to hack the program.

There is also many times I fear to bother you guys here who most of you are professionals with problems which are obvious for you and easily solved and not for a beginner like me. I suggested to Kevin Monahan to propose to Adobe to make mandatory in the profile of the member a question asking if he is a professional or not as to set up forums for each program dedicated to either of the situation.

So you see I'm facing quite a challenge, probably too ambitious but well it's fun and this as I always say is for my personal use and pleasure. Will I upload the completed project on the web? I have no idea and money is not my motivation in any case.

Again thanks Mickael for your comments and straightforwardness, I honestly prefer that than your previous comment "I liked the music towards the end. It was very peaceful."! Do you think I'm blind or deaf?

In one of Gerald Hoffnung concerts in London in the 50s, there's an interview of a German musicologist about a musical piece called "Punkt, Contrapunkt". Hoffnung mocks the dodecaphonic and serial music. The musicologist says at one point "And then comes silence. It is 5 bars without a single note of music. It makes a crescendo! That's what gives to whole work a kind of Viennese flavor!". Well my friend, Your silence was not so silent as you had imagined!

Claude

• 12. Re: Need Ideas for my Shatter map.

You are obviously very passionate about Pompeii. I have also been quite interested in it for some time, though not to as great an extent as you! I am very glad you have been documenting various parts of it. Keep on having fun and keep on asking questions on the forum. We will try to help when we can.

• 13. Re: Need Ideas for my Shatter map.
                                  clauderozsa Level 1

Thanks, well this is part of my nature, when I decide to do something I want to do it fully or else I don't. My moto is "it takes as much time to do it approximately than well and efficiently"! From what I observe this is not a general attitude nowadays. I'm in a huge mess with my internet provider having made mistakes upon mistakes while setting up my connection to the optical fiber in my apartment. Phone line cut off and lucky to be able still to use the internet! Thank God I've also a cellular to communicate with others.....Vive la France!

• 14. Re: Need Ideas for my Shatter map.
                                    StormyCPb Level 3

Thanks for your reply, very interesting stuff! Regarding the color, light bounces off surfaces, and materials then absorb that color, so even if your plaster is whiter, there would still be traces of the environmental light hitting your object, at the moment it doesn't because you cut it out of another picture, which has completely different environmental lighting, so you need to modify that using curves and levels... I've included an example below of what I mean (I've not addressed the figure/background quality issue), forgive its a bit rushed, I did it in a few minutes, but you can see that the object has traces of the color yet still feels like a plaster texture (I hope!). With the black edging you could try a matte choker effect, but be careful with it as it may make your edges look off... There's other ways but they're a bit more complicated.

Plaster Figure.jpg

• 15. Re: Need Ideas for my Shatter map.
                                      clauderozsa Level 1

Thanks Stormy; I'll check this. Ok for the color you gave; I must review what really happened when I set up my character. I think there was a moment I had the same texture. I can't remember what I did. The recent events I'm refering to in my answer to Michael have put my nerves on edge and I must review all I've done lately.

Claude

• 16. Re: Need Ideas for my Shatter map.
                                        StormyCPb Level 3

No problem, I understand you're a beginner and it can be tough to have your work reviewed, and equally tough if you're not offered a solution or information as to why something does or does not work. You're going about it the right way however, lots of experimenting and practice, but also asking opinions on forums like this can be very insightful. Just bear in mind when compositing scenes together: Perspective - Does the original camera angle of your object match the new background? Light - Is the direction of the light hitting your object the same as your background? Luminance - Does the darkest & lightest parts of your object match the darkest and lightest parts of your scene? (for example, the plaster figure I used, the highlights/lightest side of him was too bright compared to the background, making him pop out rather than feel integrated into the scene so I had to use Curves to lower the brightness). Nothing is purely black or white, your shadows and highlights absorb colors from the environment. Color - Does the overall tone of of the object have similarities to the background? One way to help do this is by duplicating your background and heavily blurring it, then place it over the top of your object (cut out what you don't need so the blurred image is only covering your object) then in the After Effects mode options on the layer change it from Normal to Soft Light, and also lower the opacity of your object to about 94% - 90%. Both these things will help you integrate your objects into the background a lot better...

• 17. Re: Need Ideas for my Shatter map.
                                          clauderozsa Level 1

" it can be tough to have your work reviewed" . It can it the guy who makes the critics does it with haughtiness and shows off his skills as if he was the god almighty! But I'm very open to critics especially if they are constructive. It's easy to criticize but what about the way to correct the error or the clumsiness? The different infos you just gave opens me new tracks to explore.

As I said earlier this is really my first project. My previous ones were more a question of sorting and assembling shots taken during hikes or on a raft trip on the Colorado. My equipment at that time was not very good compared to what is available today. I've completely renewed camera and camcorder. I acquired last year a Canon 7d and a video camera Canon LEGRIA HF G30.

With this project the idea was to make something original instead of the usually boring succession of shots after a travel abroad. Moreover as you have noticed the site is special to me. Perhaps it is because I compare it to Egypt where I was born and the archaelogy there which is impressive but devoid of life. The Campania's sites  are unique; when you enter them, especially at the end of the afternoon you feel as if at the next cross roads you'll see a Roman appearing. The novel I mentioned earlier has perfectly rendered this impression as the main character has an hallucination and find himself back 2000 years earlier and falls in love with the woman whose fresco he has seen in one of the houses. They have a torrid love affair in the afternoon but are surprised by the father of the young lady and as the young man wants to kiss her goodbye he only finds ashes under his lips and comes back to reality.That's how the idea of making this video came to me in 2009. At that time I could not afford to buy the CS6 programs. When the new CC subscription method became available it changed completely the perspective and made my project possible to realize. It'll take time but being retired I have plenty of it, a lot of patience, and I'm not afraid of computers as I've been using them since 1972 as part of my job of financial analyst. I was considered by my colleagues to be a complete mad guy! Well as it showed I was not so mad after all!

One of my rules in life is that you have to learn permanently. This is something my fellow citizens still don't understand. To lag behind knowledge-wise is a  luxury which can cost you your job and when retired it contributes to accelerate old age and increases the gap between generations. So I try to keep the little grey cells up to date!

• 18. Re: Need Ideas for my Shatter map.
                                            StormyCPb Level 3

Any haughtiness was unintentional and a picture is worth 1000 words when you're trying to explain something fast and clearly!

• 19. Re: Need Ideas for my Shatter map.
                                              clauderozsa Level 1

Stormy

I absolutely did not consider the way you made your remarks as haughty

but some people can be here or on other sites.

And you're a picture is more useful in many cases.

I think I'll be going to bed now. 10:30pm here in Paris.

Thanks again for your help

Claude

Le 14/08/2015 22:14, StormyCPb a écrit :

>

Adobe Community <https://forums.adobe.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

>

réponse de StormyCPb

<https://forums.adobe.com/people/StormyCPb?et=watches.email.thread>

dans /After Effects/ - Afficher la discussion complète

<https://forums.adobe.com/message/7863976?et=watches.email.thread#7863976>

>

• 20. Re: Need Ideas for my Shatter map.
                                                StormyCPb Level 3

Have a good evening and good luck!