7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2015 6:53 AM by BobLevine

Trying to save/export InDesign CC to CS4.

bkjjdotson

I have a problem with InDesign.  I am trying to 'save as' idml file for a client that has CS4, but it doesn't give me this option.  Export only exports to a pdf.   Any help?

• 1. Re: Trying to save/export InDesign CC to CS4.
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Did you click the dropdown in the export or save dialog?

If yes, see Replace Your Preferences

• 2. Re: Trying to save/export InDesign CC to CS4.
            bkjjdotson Level 1

There is NO drop down to change the file type.  I figure it's a preference, but can't find any documentation on how to change.  The Export function automatically goes to pdf format without a dropdown to change this either.  Very frustrating.  I didn't have this issue with CS5.  Only since joining the cloud.  I have changed the Preference files, but still no way to save for an earlier version to open......Again, very frustrated!  Been working on this for hours!  Deadline is early next week.  Wanted to be finished today.

• 3. Re: Trying to save/export InDesign CC to CS4.
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What EXACT version and build of InDesign are you using? There were some issues earlier with other folks seeing this and I think it was fixed with a patch or a new release.

• 4. Re: Trying to save/export InDesign CC to CS4.
                bkjjdotson Level 1

I'm using the most up to date version of CC Indesign.  Trying to save as a version that CS4 can open.  There is NO drop down menu to allow me to choose another type of file other than indd.  NO ability to SAVE AS idnl.  NO ability to EXPORT to something other than pdf.  AGAIN.  Very frustrating when using CC and clients who don't use the software as much and want art files but don't use CC because it isn't worth it when they have sufficient - & expensive software - that fits their needs.  The pdf files don't open correctly with 'Open With" ID when they try this.  It moves things and I want them to ok the ART file vs a pdf but can't Save as anything other than an ID file that won't open or a pdf file that is changed.  PAYING MONEY FOR NOTHING IS WHAT WE BOTH ARE FEELING RIGHT NOW!.

All help is welcome!!!

• 5. Re: Trying to save/export InDesign CC to CS4.
                  malinstr Adobe Community Professional

After seeing your end goal of needing to send live files to clients, I have a suggestion that has worked well for me.  CC offers the very handy and time-saving ability to include an IDML (as well s PDF) in the PACKAGE option.  FILE --> PACKAGE.   I think this would be the perfect solution for what you need (and faster) since they will likely need an IDML file and the linked graphics in order to display your art correctly.  You can package the fonts too, but you need to pay attention to licensing restrictions as far as sharing them past the original owner.  Package is now a one stop shop to get your files into a usable format by just about anyone.  IDML for those with CS4 or higher and PDF for anyone else.

2015-08-07_22-35-27.jpg

Additionally, going back to the initial problem of not being able to save/export as IDML...  When you go to FILE--> EXPORT do you get an EXPORT dialog like this?  You should be able to choose IDML from the dropdown.

2015-08-07_22-13-20.jpg

If you do not have these options, check to make sure you have all of the latest updates installed.

Hope this helps.

• 6. Re: Trying to save/export InDesign CC to CS4.
                    bkjjdotson Level 1

No, I don't get an export dialog box nor do I get a Save As box.  Weird I know.  BUT the Packaging worked.  I didn't think of that, though I use Packaging for every ID file I do.  It is just so much easier keeping everything in one place, though I did notice that the idnl file was included.  Thanks!  I was extremely frustrated, but it still should give me a dialog box, so I can pick which type of file I want to save as or export.  Tried getting rid of the Preferences, but this did not change anything.

Thanks.

• 7. Re: Trying to save/export InDesign CC to CS4.
                      BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What operating system are you using? There was an issue with this on Mac a while back. You say you're on the latest version but you didn't say what that was.

The latest version right now is CC2015 version 11.0.1.

Screenshots of our save as and export dialog boxes would be a good start in helping you.