12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2015 11:38 AM by ManiacJoe

catalog

kyler26283746

I originally had Lightroom 3 the most recent update at the time. I decided to sign up for Adobe Creative Cloud and upgraded to the current version of Lightroom and have kept up with the lightroom updates and was on 5.7.1 . I recently updated again with the most recent update Which gave me a new icon to click on that just says Lightroom with no version number next to it. This appears to be the most recent version, but after updating the catalog as noted to the catalog in the newest version doesn't match the 5.7.1 version. How can I sync all the catalog issues? Also should I keep getting new version icons to click on and use?

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Kyle Reynolds

• 1. Re: catalog
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Assuming you upgraded to LR 6/cc, the format of the LR 6 catalog is not compatible with 5.x, just as 5.x was not compatible with 4.x.

After you start LR, you can go to the help/about dialog to see the exact version you have.

Not sure what you mean by "How can I sync all the catalog issues?"

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: catalog
            kyler26283746 Level 1

It says that I have Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC 2015.1.1 release. I refered to sync issue because in the new version not all of my photos that were displayed using LR 5 are now showing up using LR 6. I thought the two catalogs would sync and all show the same images. How can I rectify that? So if the catalog isn't compatible with the older version what do I need to do to make sure all my photos in all my folders are recognized and are displayed in Lightroom?

Sincerely,

Kyle Reynolds

• 3. Re: catalog
              Benjamin Root MVP & Adobe Community Professional

It should have given you the option to update the Lr 5 catalog for use if Lr CC 2015...

• 4. Re: catalog
                kyler26283746 Level 1

It had me add a catalog file to the folder my prior catalog files were in if I remember correctly.

• 5. Re: catalog
                  JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In the Lightroom menu system, go to File->Open Recent and choose your old catalog. Lightroom 6 will indicate that it needs to be upgraded and will create a new copy that is in the proper database format. It will leave the old catalog for Lightroom 5 intact and usable by the older program.

• 6. Re: catalog
                    kyler26283746 Level 1

Is there a way to see what catalog file I have been using most recently? That way I can make sure I upgrade the most recent catalog file I've been using, or does that not matter?

• 7. Re: catalog
                      Benjamin Root MVP & Adobe Community Professional

It should create a new, updated catalog using the old catalog's data, not destroying it.

• 8. Re: catalog
                        JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you use that Open Recent option, the most recent catalog will be at the top of the list, and then older catalogs will be listed below it in the order that they were used. If you open one of those catalogs and it doesn't prompt you to convert it, then it is already been converted. So there's really nothing to worry about, anyway.

• 9. Re: catalog
                          kyler26283746 Level 1

This is the message I am getting regarding images that are not in my current catalog. It shows a grayed out box with no image in the preview screen in lightroom with an exclamation point in upper rt corner and it even indicates the image has meta data. This message is what I get when I click on the exclamation. And then when I select locate it can't find them. Next to the blank image is possibly corresponding images that say untitled with the same date and time stamp. Is there a way to fix this issue?

lightroom missing photo message.png

• 10. Re: catalog
                            kyler26283746 Level 1

I think this all started because when I did the most recent update to lightroom through CC I did not realize that it downloaded an entirely new and seperate version and it wasn't just an update the the version 5 that I had been previously using. The version 5 that I had been previously using remained on my computer and showed up at the top of my Windows start menu so I kept clicking on that to get into Lightroom, not realizinf I had a newer version now. So there may have been times when I used version 5 and times when I used the newest version. Should I just delete the older versions from my computer to save the confusion or is there some reason I may want to keep them around?

• 11. Re: catalog

The way to fix it is to use File Explorer or other file browser to find the missing file(s).

Check your Folders panel in the Library. If any folders are marked as missing "?" then you need to find the missing folders before you attempt to find an missing images.

• 12. Re: catalog

For Adobe, major version upgrades (4.x to 5.x and 5.x to 6.x) are side-by-side installs.

If you are happy with the way the new software is working, you can uninstall the old version(s).