The workaround doesn't always work. I can't get it to work for me. I think it's because I tried what Microsoft suggested and uninstalled ADE and tried to reinstall. The installer errors out but seems to continue anyway. The resulting program won't open the ebook files even with the workaround. I wish I'd come to this forum first. But most of all I wish Adobe would get their act together and send us a patch.
I have ADE 4.03 installed. The problem will occur once ADE is closed and re-opened. So you have to do the fix every time you use ADE to download a book.
1. For Overdrive - select book and click download. - pop up - select --save file.-- Under Open With select --acsm_auto_file -download acsm file to your download directory.
2. Open file explorer - go to OS (C:)--expand
---- go to Program files (x86) -expand
-----go to Adobe -expand
---- go Adobe Digital Editions and left click.
---- On right hand side of screen Right click Digitaleditions.exe.
--- Pop up menu - left click PROPERTIES
----Pop up choose COMPATIBILITY
--- at the top of the compatibility menu choose Run Compatibility troubleshooter
--- Pop up choose TroubleShoot Program
--- Pop up choose The Program worked in earlier versions of windows etc
---- left click NEXT
---- POP up -- Which version etc? Choose I DON'T KNOW
---- left click NEXT
--- POP up - Left click Test Program-
----AT THE BOTTOM TOOL BAR of the Window's Screen a FLASHING ICON will appear -- Left click Icon - a pop up will ask if you want this program to change etc. Left click yes.
3. ADE will Open --- Make sure that ADE is in the Library View -
---- Left click FILE and then choose ADD TO LIBRARY in the drop down menu.
---- POP UP---- Lower right corner choose acsm file type
---- left hand side of pop up choose the directory where you downloaded the ACSM file.
---- Highlight the ACSM file in right side of window and left click OPEN
--- this should work, but you will have to go through the whole routine if you close ADE.
I HOPE THAT ADOBE will get this fixed. With each update of Windows 10 ADE seems to get a little more flakey.
Thank you! This worked for me. I hope it will be permanent, but I assume by your response that its a temporary workaround. If you find any new solutions please post.
Just a quick update. Your solution worked permanently!
Thank you thank you thank you.
Had a similar problem, this did not work. Since I upgraded to W10 Pro, ADE doesn't even pop up its window. I have tried:
- uninstalling V4.5.0 and reinstalling 4.5.2. No joy.
- deleting the My Digital Editions directory and running ADE in admin mode. Directory gets recreated, but the ADE window never comes up. No joy
- because the window doesn't come up, I can't deauthorize and reauthorize. No Joy.
- I have tried running in toubleshoot mode. No joy.
Since has been a known problem since February. Is anybody home at Adobe? There is no phone support and the Community Forums don't have any solid fix. Who is Adobe's real customer in the book industry? .asm DRM is busted. Someone should be concerned.