8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2015 6:33 AM by BobLevine

Upgrading from CS6???

cocothomas123

Hi, I have InDesign CS6 and simply want to upgrade to the newest InDesign, I guess it's now InDesign CC? I simply need a one off done and dusted upgrade cost as I've always done but I keep being presented with all of these ridiculous monthly tariffs which I'm not interested in. I haven't got time to spend looking for this upgrade button anymore can someone please send me the link I need!!

• 1. Re: Upgrading from CS6???
          Derek Cross Level 6

You can only get the latest versions of InDesign, such as CC2015 by monthly subscription. In the UK, for example it's £17.5 for a single application or £45.73 a month for the suite including InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and lots more.

Creative Cloud pricing and membership plans | Adobe Creative Cloud

• 2. Re: Upgrading from CS6???
            cocothomas123 Level 1

Thank you for replying so quickly. I vaguely remember them mentioning this last time I upgraded but I didn't dream they'd actually do it. So although there's no upfront cost in the long run it's now going to cost us users an absolute fortune? I'm a self-employed graphic designer and although I can afford it I'm really reluctant to pay this, we aren't exactly on a huge wage as it is, I'm going to drag it out at CS6 for as long as I can and then just see what happens. Greed as usual.

• 3. Re: Upgrading from CS6???
              Derek Cross Level 6

Many users on discussions on here think it's not a bad deal when you compare the cost of buying say the Master Collection with the monthly cost over a period and  with all the regular updates, exciting new introductions and so on. I can't remember the prices but I think its equivalent to around two years. You get to use all the applications on two computers and can have either Windows or Mac versions. And for professionals the cost is probably tax deductible. Best to think of it rather like paying monthly for a smart phone!

• 4. Re: Upgrading from CS6???
                cocothomas123 Level 1

Yes I agree, I think it's a good idea if you are a larger business / company which uses the Master Collection but most designers only use one or two of those programmes. I use InDesign and Photoshop daily so rather than my one off upgrade every couple of years I now have to commit to a £45.73 a month subscription (most of which I'm paying for things I'll never use) which with a young family and 101 other things coming out each month is the very last thing I need. They should still have left the option to pay a one off fee for us small fry. I think when you work for yourself and simply want to get the job done you aren't as worried about the add ons and extras, it's nice to have them now and then but I certainly don't want to be paying extra for this luxury. Thank you very much for your time though, I imagine we live and work in different worlds with different budgets but this change is without a doubt going to cost me dearly and unnecessarily when the time comes I have to commit to doing this. Ho-hum

• 5. Re: Upgrading from CS6???
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

This has been discussed to death. Subscription based software is not a thing of the future; it’s here and it’s not going away.

The fact is this is godsend to freelancers that now have no barrier to entry and for what it’s worth, it’s the people that stretched these upgrades out for years that forced developers such as Adobe into this model. Everyone, including large corporations needs steady cashflow. Nobody uses every application but if you open your mind to new things, Creative Cloud presents an incredible value. You could learn Muse in a heartbeat just using your InDesign skills and add websites to your business and make up the subscription cost 10 fold with just one site a month.

• 6. Re: Upgrading from CS6???
                    Derek Cross Level 6

Well said Bob!

• 7. Re: Upgrading from CS6???
                      cocothomas123 Level 1

It may be here for good Bob but so are many things in life and it doesn't mean everybody has to agree to it. This set up may well suit you but unfortunately it doesn't suit us all. You're obviously both part of an older well established generation with your own views on how us youngsters are managing, but… as a freelancer myself I can tell you your views are a little off. There is a HUGE amount of competition out there for projects (print and web) and having tried Muse in the past I agree that while the Software itself maybe relatively straightforward, we all know that being a developer is far more than just building a pretty site. Plus - saying 'you have to pay extra for other stuff you don't actually want, need or have time for - so just stop complaining and learn to use it' is a pretty poor and unrealistic argument. I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one and draw it to a close as we are coming from very afferent places.

• 8. Re: Upgrading from CS6???
                        BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The only reason I responded was because of your assessment of greed being the reason for this.

It’s not greed at all as can be seen in the financial statements of Adobe. It’s about long term survival.