2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2015 11:25 PM by JFPhoton

help with hard disk setup.  I have so many options and so much advice.  help please

Matthew LastChance James

if there is an ansewr to this somewhere else let me know.  I'm new to posting and I have just been researching this forever i feel like with no exclusive ansewr.  I need help

OK I have been reading posts for weeks now and hour today, and I am still undecided on the BEST way to setup my hard drives for maximum performance.  I have two desktop computers and use photoshop and premiere pro mostly , but do use most of the CC programs at some point.  I am looking for a best setup with significantly better performance, or two good setups if i cannot get a big performance difference wtih just 1.  I am open to any and all ideas as creative as possible.  Thankk you for the help

2 of WD Green 1TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5-inch, SATA 6 Gb/s, IntelliPower, 64MB Cache WD10EZRx,

2 of Seagate 1TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive (ST1000DM003)

1 toshiba sata 6 gig (I think its 7200)

8 256 gig sandisk ssd plus drives

1 gtx 750 i gpu

1radeon r7 240x

woudl it be better to use the one 750 or two use 2 of the radeos crossfired?

processors

amd fx8350 vishchera unlocked black edition

amd fx 8520 ""             ""   (i think its the 8520, its only one step down from the 8350

Motherboards

ga 78 lmt usb3.0

asus m5a97 r2.0 not the LE or PRO just the r2.0

8  8 gig sticks of kingston ram hyper x fury 1866 megahurtz

2 8 git gskill ripjaw sticks1600 meghurtz

2 corsair 750  watt psu

6 sata ports on each board respectively and I would like to avoid raid if possible

• 2. Re: help with hard disk setup.  I have so many options and so much advice.  help please
          JFPhoton Level 3

.....The Department  of Editing regrets to inform you that your current equipment has has been declared dead after attempting a two track edit of 1080p and  exporting the creation to H264. The exertion was just too great.    Your machine has received a commendation for " bravery under fire" and will be buried with full military honors...

Minimum REALISTIC requirements for editing with Premiere Pro :

1. an Intel i7 CPU that has at LEAST 4 cores with hyper threading and that has a base clock speed of at least 2.5 Ghz for a laptop, which "turbos" up to at least 3.4Ghz . Desktop is the same except a higher base clock should apply of at least 3.0 with a turbo speed of 3.5 Ghz or, higher.

AMD CPUs are NOT recommended as they LACK critical " instruction sets" and generally WAY under perform  Intel CPUs with PPro.......see test results at PPBM8.com.

2. FORGET "Radeon" GPUs !!    ONLY NVidia provides "CUDA" GPU acceleration of various effects and operations to increase rendering performance by more than TEN TIMES in many cases !! Any AMD GPU acceleration provided is FEEBLE by comparison and is not of much use. Currently, the NVidia 970 GPU and above are recommended, preferably with at least 4 GB of DDR5 video memory.

3. The use of " GREEN DRIVES" in any editing machine is STRICTLY " VERBOTEN !!"...( forbidden), because their slow 5400 rpm speed and " spin down" to save energy feature makes them TOO SLOW and USELESS for video work !!  Use them as a SINKER the next time you go FISHING !!!

The speed of your drives is VERY important in video editing, and is overlooked a LOT.

Unless you are using a brand new PCI SSD that runs at over 1 GB/sec. read and write which is also your "boot drive", you MUST have a MINIMUM of two separate drives for PPro to work correctly.

As high quality SSDs are now much cheaper, an easy and inexpensive drive system which is HIGH SPEED can be achieved relatively cheap. Beware that only SOME SSDs perform well with " incompressible data", which digital video IS !  Only TWO companies are recommended : Samsung 850 Pro series SSDs and the almost as good ,but, cheaper Crucial MX200 series SSDs.

One suggestion :

A single Crucial 256GB MX 200 SSD for "C: drive, ( boot drive)  with OS, programs and Windows page file ONLY on it.     "D" drive can be ANOTHER, larger MX 200......500GB or 1TB to hold all ACTIVE FILES, CURRENTLY IN USE, ( media files, project files, previews, cache, media cache )  All original media files can be stored on 7200rpm HDDs along with backups and archives. Files can be TRANSFERRED from these HDDs to the "D" drive to make the editing performance much faster. Afterwords, anything can be archived back to the HDDs for storage while the "D" drive can be cleaned out.

In general, SSD RAID 0 setups can be very reliable and very fast vs. HDD RAID 0 setups....it is well worth considering because the FASTER the volume runs that provides the video files while editing......the better the editing performance will be. See the test results on the PPBM8.com website which show the huge performance increase when using the new PCI SSDs.