36 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2015 4:21 PM by ssprengel

why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers

acayer Level 1

I purchased the upgrade of Lightroom 5 to Lightroom 6 (I do not want to use the Lightroom CC).

I installed the standalone version 6 of Lightroom as an upgrade to Lightroom 5

I have never installed Lightroom CC

But I did purchase the subscription to the Cloud so I could get the Photoshop CC and when I installed the cloud service I made sure that I did not install the Lightroom CC on this laptop. but now what I find is that when I start Lightroom I no longer get Lightroom 6 but I get lightroom CC.

I have checked my Program installation application on my windows PC and it indicates that I have the Adobe Lightroom, Adobe Photoshop CC2015 installed, there is NO Adobe Lightroom CC2015 installed.

But when I startup Lightroom it opens the Creative Cloud screen, and when I click on the About Button under help it shows that I am using Lightroom CC2015

So what is this con game you folks are running by getting me to purchase 2 copies of Lightroom and then laughing when I cant use the version I want to use.

It appears that you folks have intentionally misrepresented your Lightroom product by offering the stand-alone version, but making it impossible for anyone to find the download, and then you shaft us after purchasing the stand-alone version by somehow allowing the creative cloud to over write the standalone version.

This is a joke.

• 1. Re: why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers
          Keith_Reeder Level 4

No fraud - you just don't understand what you're doing. If you buy Lightroom CC in order to get Photoshop, you also get Lightroom CC as part of the package.

It's your decision as to whether or not you use it,

• 2. Re: why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers
            acayer Level 1

As I said in the post I purchased Ligthroom 6 as a single purchase, and installed it.  I even upgraded it to lightroom 6.1

Then I purchased Creative Cloud for Photoshop (since they will not sell it as a standalone)

I then installed Photoshop from the creative cloud.  I did not and will not install lightroom from the cloud as I do not want that version.

But now when I tried to install the last update from Lightroom (not the cloud) it installed not a new update to Lightroom 6 but it installed the Creatvie cloud version.

So in effect Adobe is ripping cutomers off by selling a stand alone version of lightroom and then later updating it to the cloud so they have taken my money twice and provided me with something I do not want.

I my book that is a rip off

• 3. Re: why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

If you understood how the newest version of LR worked, LR CC and 6 (they are exactly the same) you would know it is how you Register with an Adobe ID that determines whether it is the CC version or the 6 version.

Since you now have a CC subscription and you Logged in with that CC subscription Adobe ID all Adobe programs become the CC version.

But this is really a MOOT Point. They are both exactly the same except that the CC version actually has more features than the stand alone 6 version.

• 4. Re: why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers
                acayer Level 1

Its not my problem here.  Adobe is intentionally misleading customers.  They sell a stand-alone version  Lightroom 6 and then intentionally (their plan) they force the software into a cloud version.  I purchased the stand-alone version because I want a version that is NOT tied to the cloud.  The only thing that the cloud gives me extra is mobile devices and web services, which I do not want.

So why is Adobe hiding the fact that they have manipulated the software that they sell branded as a stand-alone version and then under handedly convert the software over to the product I did not purchase?  Yes you might imply that by purchasing the could for photoshop I opened up the situation for them to push their unwanted version of lightroom onto my computer, but the only reason I got the CC version of Photoshop was that is the only version available.  But that does not give them the right to shove their CC version of lightroom onto my computer.

If you feel this is acceptable then the next thing you know Microsoft, and others will feel entitled to pushing their software onto my computer without my permission.

What Adobe is doing here is underhanded and planned and is not leagal, they are hiding the fact that they are turning a standalone version into a cloud version, and they are charging me extra money for the privilege to be shafted.  I have paid them twice for lightroom because I wanted the standalone version and then they take my money and give me what I don't want.

Yes the CC version has mobile and web things that the standalone does not have but I don't want it.  This truly a corporate ripoff no matter what you say they took my money for one product and then switched it underhandedly to a different product, if we let them get away with this then what will they try to do next.

• 5. Re: why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers

And you have a version that is not tied to the clouds. If you decide to dump, get rid of, the cloud version, you stop paying the monthly subscription fee, you can always use the 6 version of LR in the future.

But right now since you do have the Photographers plan subscription, and you have signed in with the Adobe ID that is associated with that subscription, all Adobe apps will be listed as the CC version.

• 6. Re: why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers
                    JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Why would you want a standalone version of Lightroom 6 if you are subscribed to the creative cloud. The programs are virtually the same, except for the fact that Lightroom CC will enable you to utilize Lightroom Mobile "IF" you want to use it? If you don't want Lightroom Mobile, you turn it off and Lightroom CC was (in the beginning) the same program as Lightroom 6. But Lightroom CC has had some feature updates such as the haze filter, and blacks and whites adjustments in the adjustment brushes. And Lightroom CC may receive other enhancements that Lightroom 6 will not receive. With Lightroom CC all of your work is stored on your computer, just as it always has been. So what do you think the advantage is of having a standalone version of Lightroom when you are subscribed to the creative cloud?

• 7. Re: why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers
                      DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

Quote "So in effect Adobe is ripping cutomers off by selling a stand alone version of lightroom and then later updating it to the cloud so they have taken my money twice and provided me with something I do not want.

I my book that is a rip off"

The way I view this is as follows. Adobe is selling the Photoshop CC as a creative cloud product, and includes a free/ gratis copy of Lightroom CC.

This is a no brainer for Adobe since Photoshop already has Bridge and ACR as part of the software package. Lightroom is just an alternative to Bridge and ACR.

The fact that you purchased Lightroom 6 as a stand alone product was your choice.

• 8. Re: why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers
                        Keith_Reeder Level 4

DdeGannes wrote:

The fact that you purchased Lightroom 6 as a stand alone product was your choice.

There ya go...

• 9. Re: why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers
                          Keith_Reeder Level 4

JimHess wrote:

except for the fact that Lightroom CC will enable you to utilize Lightroom Mobile "IF" you want to use it?

Quicker and more regular updates too, Jim.

(You hint at it, but it's worth pointing out explicitly).

• 10. Re: why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers
                            john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lightroom 6 and Lightroom CC are identical programs with identical code. However, when you open the program Lightroom behaves differently depending on how it is license, looking and behaving as 6 if it has been authorised by serial number, and looking and behaving as CC if it can authorise itself by your Adobe account.

If you don't want the Mobile stuff, switch it off - in the Identity panel. You will still get Dehaze and any other extra features Adobe may add.

If you want 6, without Mobile and without Dehaze or other new features, you'll need to buy 6 using a different Adobe ID. Then uninstall Lr, sign out of Adobe on your computer, and install 6 using the serial number. You can then sign into Adobe again so Photoshop will work. See https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/serialize-lightroom-cc-trial-to-activate-as-lightroom -6.html#Mixed%20licensing%20co…

Frankly, if you don't want Mobile, just switch it off and stop worrying about having CC.

• 11. Re: why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers
                              acayer Level 1

It appears that the Adobe fans out there are okay with the way Adobe has decided to force people to use  a could service for a standalone product that they sell as a standalone product and are not concerned with the underhanded method that they are using to convert one product into another product without advertising the fact that they are doing so.

I guess that you better buckle your seat belts because if they can do this then it wont be long before you all get messages from other software manufacturers who feel that they can convert their software into subscription software.  If Adobe were doing this correctly they would be putting up a notice that when a person buys a cloud version of the software the standalone version would become illegal thus would no longer be usable on any  pc in any way.

According to what I have seen the standalone license is totally unusable in any way shape or form.

I have tried to use this on a third PC which I do not have the cloud installed on but it will not allow it to be used indicating that I have already used my tow licenses.  Yes I have two licenses for the could version, but in this case I have this standalone version which Adobe does not allow me to use since I cannot use it without logging into the cloud and it is unusable because it will not allow me to use a cloud version.  As I indicated this is Adobes way of selling something that they have no intention of letting people use.  Nothing more that a rip-off.

And of course Adobe fans are acceptable of this corporate rip-off

• 12. Re: why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers
                                acayer Level 1

As for those who feel that Aobe is giving people lightroom free if they buy photoshop, you are totally wrong.  They advertise the photography cloud as a sale of photoshop and lightroom, there is NO sales literature out there stating that lightroom is free, so you are kidding yourself if you feel you are getting something free.  As everyone knows nothing in this world is free you pay one way or another.

Adobe is also ensuring that people cannot use lightroom on more than 2 PCs since they tie everything to the cloud they now are forcing people to purchase photoshop for additional PCs because that extra lighroom license it unusable without a second cloud login so if I want just lightroom on a standalone PC without photoshop then that is not available.

I assume the person who thinks that he got something free must work for Adobe.  If adobe is giving something out free why not advertise that they are giving it free?

• 13. Re: why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers
                                  john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

"I have tried to use this on a third PC which I do not have the cloud installed on but it will not allow it to be used indicating that I have already used my tow licenses. "

Yeah, that's why I said you need to buy the standalone copy using a different Adobe ID.

Cockup is always much more likely than conspiracy.

• 14. Re: why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers

The license has always stipulated that Lightroom can be used on two computers, but by the same user. Now, are you upset because Adobe has found a way to enforce the rule?

• 15. Re: why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers
                                      acayer Level 1

So people are not supposed to purchase a standalone version of lighrroom and assume that they have what they purchased?  You forget that I now have 2 useable licenses for the cloud version and a third unusable license for a standalone software and if I decide to use that standalone version on a third PC it would not work because even though I have a legal license it will not work since it is tied into my ID and that will only allow me to use it on the two PCs.

So in your opinion I should get down on my hands and knees and thank Adobe for selling me this unusable standalone license.  Oh and you also feel that I am at blame for purchasing this license because I should have realized that it would not work?  I don't see any info on the standalone license stating that it will not work for people who have a CC account.

I see this as Adobe's way of limiting people to using only two PCs for lightroom since those standalone licenses will not work.

But I am supposed to know something that Adobe does not advertise?  Thus it is my fault that they took my money?  I have a bridge for sale that I would like to sell you since you don't find this type of action questionable.

• 16. Re: why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers
                                        acayer Level 1

No I am not violating their license,  If I purchase an additional license to lightroom then I have a legal right to that extra version.

I have two licenses for to PCs on the could and I have a third legal license for Lightroom for a third PC but according to you I should be happy that Adobe took my money for this license and will not allow me to use it?

So you feel it is okay for Adobe to sell me a third license for Lightroom and then tell me that I cant use that license?

I have a bridge for sale, I bet you would be a good sucker to sell it to since you feel there is no problem with people selling something that they know will not work.

• 17. Re: why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers

It's unclear to me which was purchased first, Lightroom 6 or the creative cloud subscription. But it seems that you don't fully understand what you have done. That's unfortunate. And as long as Adobe tries to keep everyone satisfied by selling a standalone version, there will be people like you who become totally confused. There is no way I know of to help you understand the situation you are in, so I will withdraw from this discussion. I'm sorry you are so disgruntled.

• 18. Re: why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers
                                            ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

The Adobe licensing model does not work well for having both a stand-alone product and a CC product licensed to the same user ID (email address). If you really want your copy of LR to pretend to be the stand-alone version instead of being the CC version, you need to license it under an email address not associated with your CC subscription, based on what I have read in this forum.

• 19. Re: why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers
                                              acayer Level 1

I called Adobe and told them what I was doing. I purchased this upgrade directly from them using their phone service.  The sales person asked why I was purchasing the standalone since I had a CC license and I told them that I wanted a standalone version for a laptop and did not want all the extras for that, and they sold me the standalone version knowing what I was doing.

So Adobe sales people don't even seem to know the licensing problems.

If Adobe were above board on this whole issue then why don't they setup their account information to not allow sales of standalone versions to people who have a CC version.  They don't do this because that would limit them to making sales.

People seem to ignore that I have a legal third license to lightroom and Adobe has chosen not to accept that license but intend to keep the money?

Why don't they put up big red warning signs on the standalone version that states, this version will not work for people who have a CC license - If you purchase this license and have a CC license this license will be invalid and unusable.

They don't do this because they don't want people who purchase the standalone version to realize that the standalone version is not a standalone version.

• 20. Re: why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers

acayer wrote:

Why don't they put up big red warning signs on the standalone version that states, this version will not work for people who have a CC license - If you purchase this license and have a CC license this license will be invalid and unusable.

They don't do this because they don't want people who purchase the standalone version to realize that the standalone version is not a standalone version.

They don't do it because it isn't true. If you want to run a standalone version of Lightroom in addition to your CC license then you have to create a second Adobe account with separate sign in and use that second account to install and activate Lightroom 6.

• 21. Re: why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers
                                                  acayer Level 1

That does me a lot of good after they sold me the standalone license under an account that I already had a CC license for.

So now they want people to buy more licenses under another account so they can get more money.

As I said they need to put information out that tells people what to do, not even their sales people know about this because they sold me the standalone version knowing that I had a CC version.

How hard would it be for them to allow both version under one account?  Oh, then they wouldn't be able to sell more copies time after time, not good for the corporate bottom line.

I hope all those who feel this type of action is acceptable wake up some day and find that all their software on their PCs have been hijacked and turned into subscription services that they will have to pay for thru the nose.  You get what you ask for, and if you find what Adobe is doing here is acceptable then you will wake up some day and find all your software has been hijacked.

• 22. Re: why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers

You could try creating a second Adobe account, and then initiate a live chat with Adobe and asked them about transferring Lightroom 6 to the new account.

Contact Customer Care

• 23. Re: why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers
                                                      acayer Level 1

I tried that several times and the chat people are not aware of what is going on here because what I got from them  was that the license should work, and they were not sure what was going on.  It is only thru several weeks of fooling with this that has led me to know what is happening was that they are tying the standalone version into the Cloud, and no matter what they are doing it is wrong to sell a standalone version and not provide a standalone version.

I love their products, they are great and they provide a lot of value.  But there seems to be a problem with the sales side of Adobe that they want to suck in a much money as they can without providing the products that they are selling, thus they sell a standalone version that they make into a non-standalone version.

Most companies value their customers and want to hear feed back from them, but Acrobat has decided not to listen to their customers and thus they provide sites like this to allow other customers push their biased opinons on each other.

Other companies that I purchase products from at least provide a 24 hour email for customers and these companies make it a point to respond and answer customers questions and concerns within 24 to 48 hours.  These other companies are concerned that they are providing a service to their customers and if they sell me a license that the license is valid as sold.  Or if there is a problem they let me know that they realize that there is a problem and will work to fix it.

But I see that Adobe is more concerned with selling software under false pretenses (standalone is standalone) and do what they intend to do nothing about it and don't want to hear from their customers.

Its just sad to see the sales group at Adobe is going to eventually alienate more and more customers until people get fed up and find companies that are concerned about the customer not just their own pockets.

• 24. Re: why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers

But you seem to be missing one simple point, which hasn't really been touched on directly but has indirectly.

That point is both the CC version and the 6 version CAN NOT exist, IE be installed, on the same system at the same time. Once you login with an Adobe ID that has a subscription all current versions of Adobe applications that are installed on that system become CC versions. If you log out of CC and use an Adobe ID that is NOT Tied to a subscription then LR would become the 6 version and of course PS CC would stop working. You can't have both on the same system at the same time.

• 25. Re: why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers
                                                          Keith_Reeder Level 4

Shootistbond007 wrote:

Once you login with an Adobe ID that has a subscription all current versions of Adobe applications that are installed on that system become CC versions.

Sure about that?

I ran Lr 5 standalone for a long time while also running Photoshop CC from the Photography package.

I simply chose not to install Lr CC, and the standalone version of 5 remained just that - standalone.

• 26. Re: why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers

Yes positive with the CURRENT VERSIONS. LR 5 is no longer the Current version.

LR 5 did not require you to Sign In with an Adobe ID and IIRC when it first came out there wasn't a Creative Cloud subscription system. In fact I don't think LR was even offered in the CC subscription model at first, IE you couldn't buy a subscription to just LR. It was only after Adobe realized that they were going to lose a big part of their base customers that they came up with the Photographers subscription plan that included PS and LR at a somewhat reasonable price point.

• 27. Re: why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers
                                                              acayer Level 1

The way you explain the situation is correct.

The problem is that Adobe had created this problem for them selves.  There is no other company in the world selling a standalone version of software that they intend to force into a cloud version of the software.

There is no other company in the world stupid enough to sell a product that they call a standalone product and then force that software to be a non-standalone product.

The problem I have with Adobe in this whole process is that they are selling software under a false pretense as standalone software.

All Adobe needs to do is to  advertise that they are selling a standalone product that because a cloud product if you ever purchase a cloud license with the email address used to register the standalone product. 

This is just an underhanded attempt by Adobe to force people to purchase multiple cloud licenses with both software products even when the person does not intend to purchase the other software product.

I will assume that most people at Adobe don’t realize that what they have done is to sell licenses under false conditions, but it just is hard to believe that everyone there can be so stupid not to know that they are stealing money from people by selling a product as standalone that they know is not standalone.

When I purchase a book from a store I don’t intend to wake up the next day and find a note next to my bed telling me the publisher has decided to replace my book with  an online version that I need to use from a computer.

I am in the habit of purchasing multiple copies of software one for  home and one for the office on different computers, I don’t expect all the software companies now to tell me that they have decided to replace all my individual copies of software that I purchased with a single online version, or to tell me that I need to create multiple email addresses for each of my purchases because they have decided to limit people to purchasing only one license of their software which is what Adobe had done here.

Not matter how you look at it, this is theft.

Art

• 28. Re: why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers
                                                                acayer Level 1

Then don’t purchase Lightroom 6 because the moment you install lightroom 6 it because lightroom CC if you have the Photoshop CC installed.

I had lighroom 5 installed before this and as you indicated there was no problem but once I installed lightroom 6 it all changed, buecase lightroom 6 requires your email address to install the software and once you put that in the Adobe Cloud converts it over to lightroom CC and your license for lightroom 6 because null and void.

I see this as me purchasing a book from a bookstore and the next morning waking up to find a note on my night table congratulating me on converting my hardcover book into an E-Book that I can use on line when ever I want to .  Ad they feel that I should be proud to have their E-Book instead of my hard copy book?

Not only have they caused this problem with stealing standalone lightroom copies but this ensures that NO ONE can use more than 2 copies of Lightroom no matter how many license you purchase.  They are telling me that if I have two desktop computers and two laptops (windows and mac) I can only use my license on 2 of the computers unless I setup a junk email address and use that email for the other two licenses. 

I hope that this is not the model that all computer companies will be heading towards, its nothing but highway robbery.

• 29. Re: why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers
                                                                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A cloud license is a periodic payment for an annual agreement.  A stand-alone license is a one-time payment.

How Adobe choses so enforce the licensing agreement doesn’t change how you pay for it or how long you can use it after paying.

• 30. Re: why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers
                                                                    Keith_Reeder Level 4

acayer wrote:

Then don’t purchase Lightroom 6 because the moment you install lightroom 6 it because lightroom CC if you have the Photoshop CC installed.

Nope - I ran Lightroom stand-alone along Photoshop CC for an age before finally choosing to run Lr CC.

I'll say it again. You don't know what you're talking about.

• 31. Re: why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers
                                                                      acayer Level 1

Correct you prove my point.

The cloud license is an annual agreement, but when they sell a on-time stand-alone license that does not give them the right to convert that license to a cloud license.

I did not purchase the one-tine payment for al cloud license I purchased it under their agreement to sell me a one-time license they stole that license and converted it to a cloud license without my permission.

This is a classic bait and switch.

Your logic basically states that if you purchase a car from Ford you have no problem with them coming to your house in 3 years and take the car back stating that they decided to convert your purchase to a lease.

I did not purchase  cloud license when I bought the stand-alone software I purchased a lifetime standalone license they stole that and converted it to a cloud lease.

I hope your car isn’t taken back by a dealer when he decides to convert your purchase to a lease since you have no problem with that.

• 32. Re: why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers
                                                                        Keith_Reeder Level 4

acayer wrote:

The cloud license is an annual agreement, but when they sell a on-time stand-alone license that does not give them the right to convert that license to a cloud license.

And again; that doesn't happen. The Cloud licensing does not automatically convert a stand-alone version of Lr into a CC version. The two licensing models can and do (been there, done that) run concurrently on the same machine.

• 33. Re: why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers

Keith_Reeder wrote:

acayer wrote:

And again; that doesn't happen. The Cloud licensing does not automatically convert a stand-alone version of Lr into a CC version. The two licensing models can and do (been there, done that) run concurrently on the same machine.

That may of been true with LR 5 I don't think it is correct with LR CC-6. Once you sign in on the Creative Cloud desktop app it will register any and all (NOTE this term) "Current" versions of any Adobe program that is installed to the CC model.

I've never heard of anyone being able to have 2 separate installs of LR CC/6 with one signed in with a CC subscription and the other signed in with an Adobe ID that wasn't associated with a CC subscription. Same goes for PS CC 2015 and LR CC/6. Once signed in with an Adobe ID associated with a CC subscription all apps turn into the CC versions

• 34. Re: why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers
                                                                            acayer Level 1

You don’t know what you are talking about.

I have used lightroom 5 on a laptop for over a year.  I then purchased the CC license so I could install photoshop on the laptop and I used it this way for over a year with no problem.  Then I installed the new photoshop 2015 and lightroom 2015 on my Mac Desktop.  Still no problem.  Then I removed the CC from my laptop (still using lightroom 5 standalone) with no problem.  I then installed the new upgrade for my lightroom 5 standalone to the new lightroom 6 on the laptop.  And to my surprise when I started the new standalone lightroom 6 up I found that it was not lightroom 6 but lightroom CC 2015.  And now the second copy of my cloud that I planed to put on my windows desktop will not work.

So you don’t know what you are talking about.  So don’t insult me with you knowledge that you know more than me you evidentally don’t have more than one license.

What I am complaining about is that they sold me a standalone license took my money and then spit in my face and tell me thanks for the extra money but you cant use your legal license.

This is the same as if a car dealer sold you a car, and three years latter came and took your car and said they changed the contract and decided to change your purchase to a 3 year lease so they are taking back their car.   There is no difference here than pure theft on a corporate level.  I was sold a standalone license and now they have converted it to a 1 year lease.  The CC purchase has nothing to do with the standalone license purchase.

I have license purchased legally for 3 PCs for lightroom but can only use it on 2 PCs because they don’t want me to use the third license.

Art

• 35. Re: why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers
                                                                              acayer Level 1

Thank you that is my point

They have converted a Lightroom 6 to a CC and they also make sure that the standalone licence that they sold cannot be used on a third machine.

That is nothing short of theft.  They take your money for the third license but will not allow that license to work.  

And in my case their phone support sold me that third license knowing that is what I planed to do with it, so they have my  money and I have nothing for that standalone license.

• 36. Re: why is adobe perpetrating a fraud on thier customers
                                                                                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

All you have to do is make a new AdobeID that is not associated with a CC license and transfer your LR 6 purchase to that ID, probably with support’s help, and use that new ID on your third (and fourth) computer(s), right?