0 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2015 8:21 AM by CapeCodFrank

Incorrect lens selection

CapeCodFrank Level 1

I was trying out a new lens this week on my Sony A65. It was the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8. When I got home and loaded the raw files into Lightroom 6, the lens description was wrong. It was listed as a "20mm F2.8". In looking at the EXIF data, the lens ID is "25791". Now I was able to select the correct lens correction profile in LR. But it got me wondering how this works. I think I've learned that many third-party lens manufacturers just use incorrect lens ID numbers, and his leads to the problem. But somewhere, there must be a table of lens IDs and descriptions, so I wonder if anyone could explain the process to me. I suspect the lens tells the camera the lens ID. Then, does the camera firmware look up the lens description and place that and the ID into the EXIF data? Or does LR have a table? I'm wondering if there is a way to tell LR that for me, LensID 25791 means "Tokina 11-16mm f2.8", to correctly set the lens description into the EXIF as well as select the correct lens profile. Thanks.