12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2015 8:16 PM by A.T. Romano

Optical drives are not recognized

Okaru99

Elements 13 will not burn a DVD because it apparently does not recognize the drive.  Window 9 does see them.

• 1. Re: Optical drives are not recognized
          A.T. Romano Level 7

okaru99

What computer operating system is involved?

Are you saying that Premiere Elements 13's Burner Location field is the empty? Is the Burner Location field in the burn dialog found empty even if you expand the Burner Location field options?

When is it empty - for burn to disc DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc or burn to disc AVCHD on DVD or both?

What is Windows 9? Do you mean Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 running on some version of Windows or something else?

Can you do a burn to folder (4.7 or 8.5 GB) even if you cannot do a burn to disc?

After your reply with details, I will probably be suggesting uninstall, free ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaner parts), reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled.

Please consider and then we can define what next based on the details in your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Optical drives are not recognized
            Okaru99 Level 1

I'm running Elements 13 on windows 8 - 64 bit.  If I wrote 9 it was a typo.

Element says burner not found.  File manager in windows shows both burners.

I did burn to a folder, but that was last week when elements saw the burners.

Last week on two occasions, I could burn to DVDs.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."

Hector Berlioz

• 3. Re: Optical drives are not recognized
              A.T. Romano Level 7

okaru99

Thanks for the reply.

Can you burn to folder now when the Burner Location in the burn dialog is empty?

Have you installed any updates for iTunes or any other computer programs that offer burn to opportunities.

ATR

• 4. Re: Optical drives are not recognized
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Things and Software to AVOID when authoring/burning a disc... says Encore, but also applies to Premiere Elements and disc burning

Start --> http://forums.adobe.com/thread/608660

#2 has WHY Explained http://forums.adobe.com/thread/607390

Plus http://forums.adobe.com/thread/562941

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cd-dvd-drive-recognized-application.html

• 5. Re: Optical drives are not recognized
                  Okaru99 Level 1

I cannot burn to folder. 

I may have updated iTunes.  It updates all the time,

Hector Berlioz

• 6. Re: Optical drives are not recognized
                    Okaru99 Level 1

Thanks, but I don't think that is the problem.  I don't have Roxio or Nero installed.

Hector Berlioz

• 7. Re: Optical drives are not recognized
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

okaru99

Thanks for the update.

The good news about all this is that this is a "it worked before but not now issue" rather than "it never worked before".

If you have not done so already, it might be a good idea to look at your issue with and without the antivirus and firewalls disabled..just to get that out of the way.

Are you still running the programs as administrator? You could right click the Premiere Elements desktop icon and select and apply Run As Administrator in addition to running the programs from a user account with administrative privileges.

Also, look to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disk to assure that each is directed to a location with lots of free space...especially the category for Disc Encoding.

We could delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file, but I think that we should go directly to.

1. Uninstall the usual Control Panel route.

2. Do the free ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaning parts). This is a critical step. Please see

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

3. Reinstall the program with the antivirus and firewall disabled.

Are you OK with installation files or disc and purchased serial number or are you stuck with a pre-installed version?

If you want to try deleting Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file before an uninstall...

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and, in the 13.0 Folder, is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 13.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, or Drives enabled do that you can see the path given.

Please consider, and then we can decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Optical drives are not recognized
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

okaru99

Add On....Depending on success or not with prior suggestions, we may want to look at the uninstall of iTunes. But, let us hold on that until we are getting low on the troubleshooting opportunities.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Optical drives are not recognized
                          Okaru99 Level 1

Thanks again,

I did everything up to uninstall/reinstall.

I'll do that tomorrow.

Hector Berlioz

• 10. Re: Optical drives are not recognized
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Okuaru99

Thanks for the update. Thanks for exploring the troubleshooting suggestions.

We will be watching for your results as your schedule permits.

Best wishes

ATR

• 11. Re: Optical drives are not recognized
                              Okaru99 Level 1

Well, I uninstalled - reinstalled with no change.  Interestingly, the organizer module sees both drives.  The publish/share module still sees no burners.

• 12. Re: Optical drives are not recognized
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Okaru99

Thanks for the follow up. Sorry the burner recognition issue remains.

When you mention ..."the organizer module sees both drives", are you referring to Elements Organizer File Menu/"Copy/Move to Removable Drive". I believe that uses the Disc Creation by Sonic Solutions burn software which should be similar to the burn software used in Premiere Elements Editor.

1. Is your burner a Blu-ray DVD/CD burner or DVD/CD burner? If DVD/CD only, you might want to explore the following to determine if you can get burner to be recognized by Premiere Elements burn to

CD, DVD drive not recognized after Adobe application install | Windows

2. Also, do you have access to a USB external DVD burner? But, if you cannot burn to folder yet, that alternative burner idea gets put on hold.

3. Have you explored the idea of searching the computing for new programs or utilities that might be creating a conflict in this regard?

4. It bothers me that you cannot burn to folder or burn to disc, but you could at one time. Double check

a. Have you looked at the issue with and without the preference "Use Hardware Acceleration (works with Intel HD Graphics 2000 or higher)" disabled?

See Edit Menu/Preferences/General.

b. Have you looked at this issue with new project and different source media?

I will keep thinking about this to make sure I am not overlooking anything.

We will be watching for further developments as your schedule permits

Thank you.

ATR