4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2015 11:13 AM by Bill Gehrke

CPU - i7 or Xeon?

icy100

I'm upgrading my PC system and need some advice on CPU selection. I'm using Premiere Pro and After effects (2015) and will be upgrading all components - ASUS X99 WS, 64gb DDR4 RAM, GTX980Ti, Intel 750 series 1.2TB PCie SSD storage but I'm not sure which CPU to go with this set up. I7 5960 8 core 3ghz or Xeon E5 2640 v3 8 core 2.6ghz and both are similar price but is one of them better than the other for video editing with Premiere Pro and After Effects projects?

• 1. Re: CPU - i7 or Xeon?
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Well the i7-5960X can generally be overclocked to 4.5 GHz.  I have it and am delighted with it.  Even if you do not plan to overclock see below.  The only advantage the Xeons have is that they can be paired but your motherboard does not have the capability for 2 CPU's

Also here are the specs on the Xeon E5 2640 v3

Processor Base Frequency 2.6 GHz
          Max Turbo Frequency

3.4 GHz

Here are the i7-5960X specs

Processor Base Frequency 3 GHz
          Max Turbo Frequency 3.5 GHz
          • 2. Re: CPU - i7 or Xeon?
            icy100 Level 1

Thanks Bill for your input, much appreciated. I know the ASUS x99ws does not have 2 sockets but I thought about using the ASUS Z10 D8 ws board as it has dual sockets.

Although cost is a factor, speed and stability is more important and I'd rather spend more money to get a system that is the best I can get and that's why I've considered going down the dual processor route. I'd rather spend more to get a system that will work with all the other components and get the best out of Premiere Pro and After Effects as I'm working on projects that combine a number of different formats (DSLR, GoPro 4k, AVCHD etc) on multicam sequences with effects and colour grading.

• 4. Re: CPU - i7 or Xeon?
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Also be aware of a problem using anything involving Quicktime and H.264 on Xeon processors, see my post in another thread