8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2015 11:27 AM by Just Shoot Me

Sony 7RII raw support?

apockl

I hope I am wrong about this.  Mainly because I just moved from Aperture to LR5 (stand alone).  I just bought a sony 7rII.  However, my LR5 does not seem to support the raw files.  I know Adobe makes every attempt to get you on their cloud, but I usually can skip one or two upgrades before something truly innovative comes along.  So  I don't want to be tied to the continual cloud payment.  The most I can make of Adobe's convoluted web page is that I might have to upgrade to LR6 to get raw support for the Sony 7RII.  If this is the case then I would have to say that is utter BS.  Upgrade because of Raw support?  What a joke.  I have already downloaded and started using PhaseOne.  Any help would be appreciated.  If I am right about needing LR6 I guess my stint with LR will be short lived.

• 1. Re: Sony 7RII raw support?
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

That camera is supported in the newest release of LR CC/6. Not in LR 5.

You can use the most resent release of the Free Adobe DNG converter program to convert the native RAW files into DNGs that LR 5 can read.

• 2. Re: Sony 7RII raw support?

As to your comment about utter BS. Well you bought an Older version of LR instead of the most current version.

• 3. Re: Sony 7RII raw support?
              apockl Level 1

I bought LR5 before there was a LR6.  I bought the most current LR version at the time.

• 4. Re: Sony 7RII raw support?

In your original post you said.

Mainly because I just moved from Aperture to LR5 (stand alone)

Well I guess you bought LR 5 months ago because LR CC/6 has been out since April IIRC.

Adobe has never updated LR to support newer cameras after a newer version of LR has come out.

Nothing new in that. Been like that for ever.

If you had purchased LR 5 within a month of when LR CC/6 was released you could of gotten a free upgrade to the newer version. you still might be able to do that. I'm not sure if there is a time limit on requesting the free upgrade. But IIRC it is again one month from date of the release of the newer version.

• 5. Re: Sony 7RII raw support?
                  apockl Level 1

I bought it at least 3 to 4 months prior to even a rumor of a LR6.  Actually up to that point there were more rumors that LR5 was going to be the last stand alone LR and that adobe was going to its CC.  I was a student at the time of purchase and got it at a discounted price, but as far as I know student licenses are not upgradeable.

• 6. Re: Sony 7RII raw support?
                    dj_paige Level 9

I bought LR5 before there was a LR6.  I bought the most current LR version at the time.

And its not current any more. This happens with every software. A new version comes out, it becomes the current version, and the previous version is no longer current.

• 7. Re: Sony 7RII raw support?
                      apockl Level 1

Well you are correct that LR5 is not the current version.  However, I am satisfied with the editing abilities of LR5.  I am just surprised that they do not update the raw support of new cameras.  I am not in need of any new innovations that LR6 may offer just the raw profile of a new camera.  What is next, LR will not offer support for older versions of cameras?  New versions of LR will no longer be supporting the Sony 7R because there is a new version of the camera?  I know sounds silly.  It does not matter at this point.  I just have to get accustomed to using DNG files or move to PhaseOne. I can just use LR for my 1Dx and the free PhaseOne for the 7rII.  I just needed to know that I was understanding Adobe's raw support correctly not the obvious LR6 is more current than LR5. That does not mean that older versions will not be supported or even have ongoing updates.  MS's XP was supported long after there were newer OS versions.

• 8. Re: Sony 7RII raw support?

Same thing will happen with PhaseOne software. Once they come out with a newer version they won't be including NEW camera support in the older version.

It's not just Adobe that does this. Try opening a NEW Word document, One made with Office 2010 or above, in Office 2000, XP, or any of the older Office versions.

You are talking about 2 completely different things. Windows XP was one of the biggest money makers for Microsoft and held 98% of the desktop operating systems install base. XP is still being used by many LARGE scale companies included Banks.