6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2015 1:19 PM by A.T. Romano

premiere elements 12 tells me to update my display driver. What?

Reptile Brain

I just opened my Premiere Elements 12 by clicking on the icon on the desktop, as I've been doing since I got the program a couple years ago. As soon as I click the icon, I get a window which has an image (guy in a gray shirt and purple pants) and two links, one for video editing, one for something else. (I don't even remember what the other option is, I always ignore it.) Then it changes to a choice between new or existing project. I click whichever one is appropriate and wait for the program to load.

It usually takes rather a long time to show me the editing interface; today it seemed like it took longer than usual, but I haven't actually timed it so I could just be imagining Bad Things due to that error message. Anybody know what the display driver is supposed to do, where I get it, etc.?

• 1. Re: premiere elements 12 tells me to update my display driver. What?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Reptile Brain

What computer operating system is involved? Have you updated 12 to 12.1 yet using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates. If not, please do that.

Nonetheless - assuming Windows...

1. Make sure that your video card/graphics card driver version is up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card or the manufacturer of the computer.

2. If it is, then delete the BadDrivers.txt file according to the following instructions for your Premiere Elements version and the computer operating system involved.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2015/02/pe-bad-driverstxt-file-locations.html

Please update us on your progress as your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: premiere elements 12 tells me to update my display driver. What?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Repile Brain

Add Ons....

Please go to Device Manager/Display Adapter/and look for name of video card/graphic card (more than 1?).

Then click on the Driver Tab of the card...what date and driver version?

If you can get a screenshot of this guy with gray/purple outfit, that would be great. If not, we will figure this out without it. It sounds like a typical display card error message except for the presence of this guy.

As soon as I click the icon, I get a window which has an image (guy in a gray shirt and purple pants) and two links, one for video editing, one for something else.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: premiere elements 12 tells me to update my display driver. What?
              Reptile Brain Level 1

It seems my nVidia graphics display driver was out of date, but I didn't know it. This is surprising considering I usually get a notice from nVidia to update as soon as a new driver is released. But whatever. I just downloaded and installed the latest nVidia driver and when I clicked the Icon for Premiere Elements, there was no error message and it opened just fine. Thanks for the help. I did go to my program files for Windows 8.1 to look for a file named "BadDrivers.txt" based on a note I found from Steve Grisetti on October 23, 2013, responding to a similar question concerning v9. I will follow your suggestions above re: updating to 12.1 and try to get a screenshot of the guy in the purple pants. Except now it's a picture of a little girl in a bathing suit and a mom behind her.

• 4. Re: premiere elements 12 tells me to update my display driver. What?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Reptile Brain

Thanks for the wonderful news of Premiere Elements issue resolved by updating your video card/graphics card driver. Well done.

Deletion of the BadDrivers.txt file had its origins with me and my display problems in 2010 with Premiere Elements 9.0. And, the rationale behind its deletion is explained by Adobe in post 10 of the following thread that I created to bring this matter to the surface

Re: Premiere Elements 9 Tryout Serious Display Problem

I have since provided a blog post which details how to find and delete this file if and when necessary. (See link for this posted previously in this thread.)

I am still trying to figure out where your interesting pictures for your messages are coming from. I have not run into the ones that you have described. The Adobe update for a given version has obvious and well as not so obvious updates. A major one for 12.1 is that it gets rid of the Text-Style issue that exists only in the Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace, not Quick workspace.

Best wishes

ATR

• 5. Re: premiere elements 12 tells me to update my display driver. What?
                  Reptile Brain Level 1

Here's the splash screen I see when I open my version of Elements. All is working well now, thanks for your help. premieresplashscreen.png

• 6. Re: premiere elements 12 tells me to update my display driver. What?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Reptile Brain

I am focused in now. Double clicking the Premiere Elements 12 desktop icon is bringing up the Welcome Screen (display with the fellow with the purple pants/shirt). That is normal. You can also reset what launches after you double click the Premiere Elements 12 desktop icon - opens to Welcome Screen, Editor, or Elements Organizer (see Settings button to the right of the X close button of the Welcome Screen).

All working well now is great news.

Best wishes

ATR