11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2016 7:01 AM by capegirl1

How did Adobe go from version 5 which work fantastic to the new LrCC 20151.1 and make it so slow as to be unuseable?

yaog Level 1

When is the fix coming, some of us have work to get out and this once (for short time anyway) professional class product is back to version Lr 1.0 in terms of performance (and yes I was there). When is the fix coming, some of us have work to get out and the current version has been reduced to crashing and freezing or so slow as to be nearly useless.  How can I go back to 5.7 until you get done beta testing on the other people?

• 1. Re: How did Adobe go from version 5 which work fantastic to the new LrCC 20151.1 and make it so slow as to be unuseable?
          descender Level 1

I'm honestly not experiencing what you're reporting, and I made extensive use of Lightroom 4, up through 5, and the past year in the CC versions.

Your question may yet be able to get some good responses, but it would go farther if you illustrate it with details about your system and more specifics about what changed in your user experience.  Is everything equally slow?  Are just some parts of LR responding slowly?  Is it computation-heavy stuff like adjustments and brushes, or is it just everything about the user interface working slowly?  Is it background stuff like building previews that goes slowly?  Is it everything?

Also, can you give some reasons why other readers should not just assume that you are low on drive space or having memory problems on your computer, or ended up with your scratch/cache set up poorly?

At the very minimum people would expect to see the details of your system, especially operating system version, processor, memory, and storage system.

• 2. Re: How did Adobe go from version 5 which work fantastic to the new LrCC 20151.1 and make it so slow as to be unuseable?
            Keith_Reeder Level 4

yaog wrote:

When is the fix coming?

Fix for what? Lr 6 is fantastic on my machine - much faster than 5.

Maybe you need to figure out what it is about your machine (which - naturally - you've provided precisely no information about) that's not allowing Lr to operate maximally...

• 3. Re: How did Adobe go from version 5 which work fantastic to the new LrCC 20151.1 and make it so slow as to be unuseable?
              yaog Level 1

I have been using LR since version 1 and it was terribly slow back then and has steadily improved in capability speed until now.  I make a living using Lightroom and Photoshop products and the LrCC 2015 version has been a problem since installing it.  I am running LrCC 20151.1 on the same box as the previous version Lr6.x with PSCC.

If you must know:

MSI Z-97 Gaming 7 mobo, Intel core i5 4690K stock clock but allowed to run up to 4.4GHz., Corsair H80i liquid cooling, 16GB (2x8) Mushkin Enhanced DDR3 1600, Asus STRIX Radeon R9 285 2GB GDDR5 RAM PCI Express 3.0 video card, Corsair RM750i PSU, boot/app drive - Crucial M550 512GM SATA3 SSD, scratch drive - OCZ Vertex 256GM SATA3 SSD, working data - Crucial M550 512GM SATA3 SSD, near by storage 2 X Seagate Constellation 7,200RPM drives - 4TB w/128MB cache run RAID1, LG Dual layer Blu-Ray burner, long term storage - Thecus N5550 NAS w/5 X Seagate Enterprise 4TB 7,200 RPM NAS drives configured as RAID6 array.  Multiple external Seagate 4TB USB3.0 drives used to backup Thecus N5550 NAS. 

Windows 7 64 bit, Acronis 2015 backup, AMD 14.3 driver package, Adobe LrCC2015.1.1 (6.1.1), Adobe PSCC2015.0,1 

All applications and scratch space on SSD, Lr catalogs and working images on SSD.  Boot SSD is 50% full, scratch SSD is only used for scratch space.

The problem is LR is freezing up in develop module and is very slow when healing or other brush work.  This used to be fast as in instantaneous operation but now it is 1 to 5 seconds per correction.  Preview building is still pretty fast as are import and export operations, to wit, I ran a test a few days ago, exported 492 RAW files to ProPhoto TIFFS sourcing the RAW files from the internal RAID array and exporting the TIFFs out to the data SSD.  The total data written was 45.2GB taking 11m:35s to read, process the RAWs then write new TIFFs out to the SSD.  I think my system is fast enough to do the job for me. 

Like I said I have work to be done and this new release of Lightroom is killing my work due to the reduced speed and freezing and Lightroom not responding and having to kill LR with the task manager.  I'm getting worried about my data. 

• 4. Re: How did Adobe go from version 5 which work fantastic to the new LrCC 20151.1 and make it so slow as to be unuseable?
                yaog Level 1

I doubt it is the box, it is the same box I was using with the previous LR non-CC no problems.  Once LrCC 2015 installed I had to roll back the AMD display drivers to 14.3 to get LR to run even with GPU turned off.  I have read others who are experiencing the same problems that they are running the newest AMD 15.2 drivers with the vertical sync option turned off.  I may give that a try to see if it improves LR stability now that I have shipped the images I needed to get out by LAST Friday.

• 5. Re: How did Adobe go from version 5 which work fantastic to the new LrCC 20151.1 and make it so slow as to be unuseable?
                  descender Level 1

OK, good machine specs.

I can't imagine what's causing the problem for you, but I do know to some degree what you mean now that we're specifically talking about healing / spot removal.  That has indeed gotten a bit slower for me, but I am never seeing anything like 5 seconds per operation.  I can confirm sometimes a half second to one second per operation, which I agree is unacceptably slow on a well specified workstation.  At the timing that I'm seeing, my workaround is that I do not need to wait for the results of each spot before I continue to the next one.  The UI doesn't freeze, it's only that I don't see the visual results of each spot for up to a second.  But that works for me because I usually only use the spot healing tool, and I'm not doing other adjustments via the brush tool.  I can see how lack of immediate feedback on that would obviously be a hindrance.  I have never wished to use the brush for adjustments -- nearly everything I would ever do that way is something I would far prefer to do with luminance masks or other similar means of masking in Photoshop, and I tend to use Lightroom only for global adjustments while saving local / area-specific adjustments for PS.  But that's just me and everyone's workflow is different.

I have a sneaking feeling that the answer may turn out to be something relatively trivial, such as a preference setting or other setup issue that one would not expect to affect the things you're finding, but does anyway.  If this were a Photoshop problem I would suspect something like your setting for number of cache levels, but that's not in LR.  My expertise is not enough to guess any farther, but one can hope that now that you've provided specs and a more exact description, someone's future replies will help.

I know this is a bit extreme, but if you have any chance to put a completely different GPU in the system temporarily to test -- perhaps even to borrow or rent one for a weekend... I have never been a permanent booster of either nVidia or AMD, but in this case I must suggest you see what happens if you put in an nVidia card just to see.  If it were the other way around I would also suggest the opposite brand just as a test.

• 6. Re: How did Adobe go from version 5 which work fantastic to the new LrCC 20151.1 and make it so slow as to be unuseable?
                    yaog Level 1

Decender,

The problem is the mouse actually freezes as it moves across the screen.  Move a half inch pause with spinner, move half an inch pause with spinner.  When the mouse does finally arrive where I need to make a correction after freezing, and moving half an inch at a time or if I try to move too many times before the correction appears LR freezes and I have to use the task manager to kill LR or it will sit there with a spinner until you kill the process or the power.  This is a major issue for a person who has to meet deadlines for work.  I am in the middle of an ongoing product shoot for a company and each product requires 10-30 images per piece, this new LrCC 2015 hiccup is killing me.  It took a week to ship 100 images and I now have a 200 image backlog!  This should have been done in half the time, LrCC 2015 is holding me up and hurting my work and pocketbook.  This is a serious problem IMO.  Not your fault but Adobe should have tried this stuff out before pressing send.  Sorry to vent and thanks for trying to help.

YAOG 

• 7. Re: How did Adobe go from version 5 which work fantastic to the new LrCC 20151.1 and make it so slow as to be unuseable?
                      descender Level 1

Wow, that's crazy that it's holding up your system so much that you even get a spinner replacing the mouse pointer.

Something is definitely wrong and you're not going to get far by treating it as a general Lightroom issue because it's not widely known or affecting most other users.  Something in your system needs to be changed or reinstalled cleanly.  I would try changing or reinstalling everything that is part of your workflow, from the easiest parts to the harder ones, hoping that in the first few steps while they are still easy and low-effort the problem will already be solved.

One other step I can suggest first, though, before you go that far.  Because it sounds very likely that parts of the Adobe Camera Raw code are causing this problem somewhere between the app and your graphics driver.  And unexplained freezes and slowdowns are known issues when the GPU acceleration feature is enabled but not fully compatible.  There are known to be some gaps between what GPUs and video drivers pass LR's compatibility detection and which ones actually work perfectly without these side effects.

For this reason, please read the following page fully and don't skip any sections... they might apply more than they may seem.
                      Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Help | Lightroom Graphics Processor Acceleration (GPU) Troubleshooting & FAQ

In particular, try turning off GPU acceleration in the Performance tab of LR Preferences.  I know that sounds like something you would not want to do, but GPU Acceleration has only been an included feature of ACR since ACR 9.  In other words it won't make anything worse than the perfectly good performance you had before.  The time frame for ACR 9 fits very closely with the time frame of the problems you have experienced.  It is possible that you have been blaming LR CC 2015 when the real core of the problem was between ACR 9.x and your GPU and its current drivers.

In case it's not obvious after that, trying various different drivers for your video card would be a good idea too, as well as reporting the problem to your card manufacturer and/or GPU manufacturer.

The reason I came upon this potential solution is that in my own separate post I reported that my histogram display disappeared in the Camera Raw filter within PS CC.  I was advised to update the plugin and my graphics drivers but I already had.  I tried again but no change.  At that point it was suggested that I try disabling GPU acceleration, something I strangely had never considered.  Along with fixing my histogram display issue, it has also returned a much lower latency to the UI experience in ACR.  I will soon test to see if the same also happens with that acceleration preference disabled in LR.

• 8. Re: How did Adobe go from version 5 which work fantastic to the new LrCC 20151.1 and make it so slow as to be unuseable?
                        yaog Level 1

Descender,

I disabled the GPU a week ago and it continued doing the same thing but at least it did not lock up right away under LrCC 2015!  I just updated yet again to AMD Catalyst 15.7.1 using a fresh copy I downloaded from AMD which has driver package 15.2 which is the same thing I downloaded a couple weeks ago back in late July.  I and tried the vertical refresh and triple buffering settings, rebooted and it worked exactly the same way, locking up shortly after entering the develop module.  You could be right but I have done clean installations several times with several AMD driver releases and ASUS specific video drivers all to no avail.  Since going to the AMD 15.2 drivers it has not locked up but is pretty slow though not as bad as it was.  Part of the problem may be the Windows 10 background updates which have been installing themselves for the last few weeks.  I did not figure that out until recently after I had so many issues with LrCC 2015.  I shipped some work and have to try to get it working right so maybe upgrading to Win10 will be my next move though many people are still having issues under Win10 with LrCC 2015.  WHO KNOWS, Adobe and AMD sure don't know. 

Chip out

• 9. Re: How did Adobe go from version 5 which work fantastic to the new LrCC 20151.1 and make it so slow as to be unuseable?
                          descender Level 1

You're doing all the right things, it seems.  Or at least the first many of the possible steps.  It's certain that you could reach a state where it is working as well as it is for nearly everyone, but the question is what is the least troublesome way to get there.

I don't have much else that comes to mind, except that this is reminding me very strongly of when I built my current photography workstation and I researched for hours and hours on the subject of AMD vs. nVidia for Photoshop and Lightroom use.  The consensus seems to be that they both should work fine with no support troubles, but there is a strong thread of suggestion that nVidia is currently a much better guarantee of working smoothly with Adobe CC.  I cannot back this up, I am only reporting the total and the digest of all the opinion research that I did.  I was never a big nVidia fan the past 10 years and had stuck by AMD for most systems, but I'll admit that since switching over I have had a flawless graphics experience in every way.*  It does seem likely that if you have tried a lot of different driver versions (maybe some betas too) and nothing gets sufficiently better, it really comes down to the model or even maker of graphics card.  Maybe.  There are probably other things that could be causing the trouble but they seem less likely.

Best wishes toward achieving a smooth reliable system!

*... with the exception that I did have my own minor issue with the ACR histogram display going black, which I've worked around by disabling GPU acceleration... with no real loss of speed.  Strange.  ACR's GPU acceleration testing and development may have a ways to go on more than one graphics platform.

• 10. Re: How did Adobe go from version 5 which work fantastic to the new LrCC 20151.1 and make it so slow as to be unuseable?
                            Freiheitenwelt Level 1

Hey - do you have a smooth running system now?

I am using a Mac but I have exactly the same performance issues as you described. It's just annoying.

Greetings

Martin

• 11. Re: How did Adobe go from version 5 which work fantastic to the new LrCC 20151.1 and make it so slow as to be unuseable?
                              capegirl1 Level 1

No.  I have found no resolution.   I am not sure if this is just a mac thing or not.  Very disappointing.