26 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2015 4:00 AM by Geoff the kiwi

2015 and NO Network Drive Functionality - WOW!!!

WHB

I am Programmer

I am a Photographer

I am an IT Professional

I purchased LR 6 yesterday

What a stinking pile of crap - honestly. Adobe, you have to be one of the laziest and out of touch companies in modern computing.

Your crap software spews background services and programs all over the PC.

Your support is garbage and your sales staff have no clue what they are talking about.

You continue to push people toward the "cloud" even if they have no desire to be there.

Your LR 6 software lacks any reasonable ability to work with photos stored on a network drive. LAUGHABLE!

I am sure that there are countless professional photographers and hobbyists running around with their 2TB of photographs piles on their desktop PC's or laptops. Just because they are happy to do it does not mean that it is a good idea, or right. Nonetheless, it is astounding that in 2015 your premier photo management software DOES NOT support storing a catalog on a network drive, auto-import from network drives, loading catalogs from network drives, etc.  What is even more amazing, instead of making the functionality available or optional, your code monkeys have gone to GREAT LENGTHS to prevent workaround for those of us who know how to use mklink, iSCSCI, etc,

You see Adobe, here in the real world, some of us work from networked storage. We have spent a great deal of money building a highly redundant RAID array and/or use VMs to ensure our hard work is robust, redundant and available. You nitwits, in a fell swoop, force us all to use the least common denominator, LOCAL STORAGE.

Get your heads out of your backsides and start paying attention to the real world. Honestly...

• 1. Re: 2015 and NO Network Drive Functionality - WOW!!!
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Well, you are partly correct....

Your images can be located on a network drive, if you desire.

The LR catalog must be on a "local" drive, either internal or external. This is on purpose to help prevent multi-user sharing.

• 2. Re: 2015 and NO Network Drive Functionality - WOW!!!
            Keith_Reeder Level 4

WHB wrote:

I am Programmer

I am a Photographer

I am an IT Professional

I purchased LR 6 yesterday

...And yet you didn't check first before making your utterly baseless, lazy assumption that Lr works the way you think it should, depsite nothing out there to suggest it would?

Seriously: I'd keep that sort of embarrassing, unnecessary - and completely self-inflicted - screw-up to myself, rather than use it as a basis for this self-righteous hissy-fit.

You screwed up here. Nobody else.

Oh - and this is a user to user forum. You're not talking to Adobe here.

• 3. Re: 2015 and NO Network Drive Functionality - WOW!!!
              WHB Level 1

Keith:

You pointed out that this is a user-to-user forum:
              Let's keep that in context as we ponder the fat that I attached Adobe, you personally attacked me.

If you do, in-fact, represent Adobe: Then you have ironically negated your point entirely.

If you DO NOT represent Adobe: It is naive to think that they do not monitor these forums. In any event, I am aware that this is primarily a user to user forum. I (very purposefully) posted here to publically voice my opinion. If you can't extrapolate why somebody would do that, then I am not sure you understand the power of an officially sponsored PUBLIC facing user forum.

In context to what I researched and what the software offers:

In your haste to make this personal, you (conveniently?) made some silly assumptions and ignored the basic context of my post and complaint.

Notice the passage "...your sales staff has no clue..."  You see Keith, I dabbled around with LR4 and was able to use mklink with symbolic/junction points to fully leverage a network share (supported or not). Before LR6 came out, I trialed LR5 and was still able to use the mklink junction points (do you even know what those are Keith?). Sales AND support both indicated that storage of the catalog and auto-import on a network share was not "supported" but if there were existing workarounds, they would not be affected.

You see Keith: The fact is that the Adobe software engineers have ACTIVELY taken further steps in LR6 to block workarounds that have, since LR4, allowed advanced users to work seamlessly with network shares. This has NOTHING to do with multiple users, as multiple user functionality is easily blocked via a lock on the catalog database while it is in use. So by design they are blocking functionality, and I do not agree with their reasoning, even if said design and lack of network features were in bold print on the side of the box.

So you see Keith, on top of my other issues with Adobe (I have many), the real point being made here is that a software product sold in 2015 should be capable of leveraging modern storage and data management best practices. That point stands regardless of my purchase or research status and my PUBLIC RANT was made for a reason and nothing to be embarrassed about.

On the topic of public embarrassment:
              Keith - I have not scanned through these forums, but based on the style of your post and the context in which you felt obligated to attack me, I would bet you do it often. I assume you get some satisfaction when you abuse another forum member and receive accolades from other likeminded folks. You see every forum has at least one of you. You know, the guy who thinks he is the smartest person in the room and therefore has the right to be arrogant, smug or a downright ***-hat and launch personal attacks when his opinion differs. I would further bet that if I look around it will become evident that you are the local product apologist that finds reason to smugly attack anybody that has a problem with the products or venders you like. That my friend, YOU should be embarrassed about.

• 4. Re: 2015 and NO Network Drive Functionality - WOW!!!
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You are correct, this is a database locking issue. The catalog is a SQLlite database. What little bit I know about SQLlite is that there is one price to pay for single-user database usage and a much higher price to pay for multiuser database usage. Apparently, Adobe has chosen to use the single-user option. Perhaps one of the reasons for making this choice is to keep the price for Lightroom competitive. Take note that I'm just guessing/assuming here.

• 5. Re: 2015 and NO Network Drive Functionality - WOW!!!
                  floramc Adobe Community Professional

That's correct. Somebody here is always reading. If not the staff the moderators.

One basic rule of the social interaction is to express your opinions holding a touch of control, the fact that anonymity makes one feel everything can be said is quite a lame companion to bring in our forum.

You dislike Lightroom and find it is not functional to your needs. We got that. Deeply sorry about your disappointment, if you can point out another program that fulfils your need, nobody forces you to stay on Lightroom with a gun pointed on your head. We can only let you go to a product that holds your expectations. If that is your point: if Lightroom is not your thing, just drop it.

Otherwise your feedback is as helpful as anybody else and is welcome, but the way you express it disqualifies you and your content so mind the words you use here.

If you are suggesting a solution that you feel is necessary in Lightroom there are thousands of way to ask it without this load of arrogance. And if you start with this tone expect other members to answer you with the same level of dialog. Nevertheless nobody wishes to see this turning into a recrimination page where members insult other members. Stay on the tool, and talk about it with a touch more of respect.

Everybody here: first answer excluded as that was actually giving a good point, everybody else calm down and change the tone of the conversation straight away. This is much inappropriate.

We are always happy to read feedback, we like to know what users would like to see in the applications. Make it worth.

By the way, the staff has access to the forum and you can see the mark "staff" under their name as you can see the ACP under my own. The A under mine stands for Adobe so if you want your voice to be heard, I am listening, but I am here because this post got the attention of the moderators for being inappropriate. Let's make this a thread where we come and listen because we get valuable feedback, not where we come to check how to moderate the pointless insults. Insults help nobody and get nothing done.

Now, let's give this a chance to survive the day.

If the tone changes and we talk appropriately of the pros and cons and what you would have wanted to find in Lightroom, what other users have to suggest you and so forth, there are no reason to censor a discussion. If this is only to insult Adobe, the staff, attack other users and all that jazz, then this thread will be closed.

You have an option let's see what happens.

• 6. Re: 2015 and NO Network Drive Functionality - WOW!!!
                    Keith_Reeder Level 4

Among others, Capture One is essentially the same in this regard: and - a crucial point from that page:

Please note, that if sharing a Catalog on a network, network speed may affect the performance of browsing and editing the Catalog.

which it does, significantly.

If you want proper multi-use support (which still isn't full network support) in Capture One, you pay a premium for it.

• 7. Re: 2015 and NO Network Drive Functionality - WOW!!!
                      Keith_Reeder Level 4

floramc wrote:

Everybody here: first answer excluded as that was actually giving a good point, everybody else calm down and change the tone of the conversation straight away. This is much inappropriate.

Sorry Flora - maybe if you'd been quicker off the mark, I wouldn't have had the chance to react (quite reasonably, in my opinion) to yet another whiny "it's everybody else's fault but mine..." post, of a sort which I for one am sick to the back teeth of seeing on here...

• 8. Re: 2015 and NO Network Drive Functionality - WOW!!!
                        WHB Level 1

Thanks for the kind response Jim.

Let me break this down into basic understandable parts.

• There is user data (photos in this case). Adobe, has absolutely no jurisdiction or right to limit concurrent use of, or any aspect of how or where you access your property.
                        • There is an Adobe application that uses a database to catalog the property you own. They have every right to limit how or where their software is used.

FWIW: SQLite (if that is in-fact the DB engine) is public domain and has no license cost or concurrent use constraint.

In any case, the point is that SINGLE use can be forced by a DB lock, regardless of where the user data or catalog resides. If one can reach the database, remote or not, to open it, then that database can be internally locked to prevent concurrent use, for whatever reason. PERIOD.

Adobe has (in my opinion, and that of many others) a history of significantly overreaching and inconveniencing users in the name of protecting their license use. It would also be fairly safe to assume that they have no desire to offer tech support in context to the complications of networked file stores. That is FULLY understandable. At the same time, to actively prevent advanced users from leveraging modern (best practice) technology, is frustrating and shortsighted, at least from my perspective.

• 9. Re: 2015 and NO Network Drive Functionality - WOW!!!
                          WHB Level 1

Keith_Reeder wrote:

Among others, Capture One is essentially the same in this regard: and - a crucial point from that page:

Please note, that if sharing a Catalog on a network, network speed may affect the performance of browsing and editing the Catalog.

which it does, significantly.

If you want proper multi-use support (which still isn't full network support) in Capture One, you pay a premium for it.

Keith: Please try to keep here.

• I am not asking for, nor do I want MULTI-USER support in any shape or form.
                          • All of my file storage and workspace is derived from network storage.
                          • My network speed and user experience only need to meet my expectations.
                          • What any other product does or does not do, has no bearing (at all) here.

Adobe has gone to significant lengths to fully block the use of network stores, and as an IT and networking professional, it makes no sense in context to modern computing practices and technology.

• 10. Re: 2015 and NO Network Drive Functionality - WOW!!!
                            john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There's little point making Lr network-based if it's not made multi-user too, which would allow Adobe to meet the needs of small studios - who might also pay for it. Individuals who want Lr on their own networks are a much smaller market segment, and other modern computing practices and technology are more relevant to their needs - ie using cloud services to make your work available on mobile devices and via browsers.

• 11. Re: 2015 and NO Network Drive Functionality - WOW!!!
                              WHB Level 1

Keith_Reeder wrote:

floramc wrote:

Sorry Flora - maybe if you'd been quicker off the mark, I wouldn't have had the chance to react (quite reasonably, in my opinion) to yet another whiny "it's everybody else's fault but mine..." post, of a sort which I for one am sick to the back teeth of seeing on here...

I am dumbfounded that in one sentence, you have:

• Continued to be somewhat personally insulting while responding to a post from a moderator, asking ALL OF US to refrain from personal attacks.
                              • Continued to conveniently mischaracterize my actual point.
                              • Complained about me placing fault, when in fact you missed the point, while, with jaw-dropping irony, place fault on the moderator for not acting fast enough to prevent you from launching a personal attack.
                              • Attempted to give the appearance that you and the moderator represent a united front against people "like me" that you are sick of.

Like I said, I have not browsed these forums or sought out other threads you have participated in, but i would suggest you to take a step back and assess your behavior. If you disagree with my opinion, then kindly articulate your disagreement in context to the points being made, and do so without personal attacks or insults.

• 12. Re: 2015 and NO Network Drive Functionality - WOW!!!
                                WHB Level 1

john beardsworth wrote:

There's little point making Lr network-based if it's not made multi-user too, which would allow Adobe to meet the needs of small studios - who might also pay for it. Individuals who want Lr on their own networks are a much smaller market segment, and other modern computing practices and technology are more relevant to their needs - ie using cloud services to make your work available on mobile devices and via browsers.

For the sake of clarity in this threasd, let’s not conflate the need for network file store compatibility with the benefit of a multi-user option. While both leverage the ability to utilize files on a remote server or share, they are two wholly different topics. The former (files stored other than on the local hard-drive) would be a component of multi-user access, but is far more simple to implement (allow) than the complexities of the later (multi-user access).

The cloud:

I own and run an IT consulting business. The "cloud" is a double edged sword at many levels and is a tangent subject. I general, I have no problem with a vendor embracing the technology, but at the same time I (nor my customers) are comfortable being forced to use it in many cases or contexts.

Boiled down, the biggest gripe here is that Adobe has taken further steps in this release to prevent using files stored on ANYTHING but a local drive. AGAIN, this has NOTHING to do with multiuser access and everything to do with usability in a modern (even home) network.

• 13. Re: 2015 and NO Network Drive Functionality - WOW!!!
                                  WHB Level 1

ManiacJoe wrote:

Well, you are partly correct....

Your images can be located on a network drive, if you desire.

The LR catalog must be on a "local" drive, either internal or external. This is on purpose to help prevent multi-user sharing.

I neglected to mention in my previous response (pointing out that this has nothing to do with multi-user sharing), that not ONLY does the catalog need to be local, but if files are stored on the network share, they share can not be setup for auto-import.

In previous versions, one could use a local junction point to make network shares appear (and function) as local drives. Any user informed enough to understand how to setup such functionality is surely aware of the rammifications both in context performance AND the lack of technical support.

• 14. Re: 2015 and NO Network Drive Functionality - WOW!!!

WHB wrote:

john beardsworth wrote:

For the sake of clarity in this threasd, let’s not conflate the need for network file store compatibility with the benefit of a multi-user option.

We cannot avoid doing so. From Adobe's viewpoint there's little value in making Lr network file store compatible unless they go for the multi-user market. If there was ever a market for a single user networked Lr, that boat has sailed. Multiple client access to one's Lr work now means mobile devices and cloud services.

• 15. Re: 2015 and NO Network Drive Functionality - WOW!!!
                                      WHB Level 1

John your perception and point would be valid if there were a significant cost or complexity in providing the base functionality to begin with.

The reality is that there is no significant or special functionality needed to allow the software to work with files accessible by UNC path, mapped Drive or other SMB mapped stores, iSCSCI targets, etc. In fact, the reality is that Adobe has put a significant effort into blocking the ability to utilize such technology, to the point of enhancing such blocking features to further disable workarounds that were available in previous versions.

Granted, from a cost and customer satisfaction perspective they may feel that blocking these use cases is easier than dealing with nitwits who attempt to setup a networked file store and have no idea what they are doing.

To that end, a company can not sell an "advanced" piece of software and cripple it so that the least common denominator has no chance of getting in over the head. If I wanted that, I would still be an AOL subscriber and be using Photoshop essentials. This product is positioned as a tool for high end professionals and first time photographers alike. That does not mean that Adobe can't offer advanced options or preferences for those of us who have real computing environments, not a single desktop PC or MAC.

• 16. Re: 2015 and NO Network Drive Functionality - WOW!!!

Keith Reeder wrote:

floramc wrote:

Don't even try - I don't care about taking provocation, I am just here to check how the users behave. Now we are watching this. That I moved in means that this needs moderation. It could be me it could be somebody else. Unluckily you had me - so now stay on the answers that seem proper to your question and don't take provocations. We all win on that.

• 17. Re: 2015 and NO Network Drive Functionality - WOW!!!

WILLIAM BURNETT wrote:

I am dumbfounded that in one sentence, you have:

• Continued to be somewhat personally insulting while responding to a post from a moderator, asking ALL OF US to refrain from personal attacks.
                                          • Continued to conveniently mischaracterize my actual point.
                                          • Complained about me placing fault, when in fact you missed the point, while, with jaw-dropping irony, place fault on the moderator for not acting fast enough to prevent you from launching a personal attack.
                                          • Attempted to give the appearance that you and the moderator represent a united front against people "like me" that you are sick of.

1) I can take care of myself don't worry about that

2) Don't worry about your point, just stop engaging with him if he annoys you

3) again, don't worry about the moderator, just let him be, don't make of this something personal, it is not

4) that is my problem to take care of. And I don't care about provocation so don't worry

Let's stop this discussion now and talk Lightroom. If there is questions about the tool, let's talk about the tool Leave the moderator, the staff, and all that jazz out of this. Talk about catalogs, talk about solutions.

I got the point for both of you. Noted, move on.

• 18. Re: 2015 and NO Network Drive Functionality - WOW!!!

We always think there's "not much complexity" in adding our own pet feature, don't we? And there's a long list of simple or advanced options that never gets any shorter.

My guess is that any additional network address blocking hasn't been deliberate, more that the old loopholes were a happy accident that Adobe haven't gone out of their way to preserve.

• 19. Re: 2015 and NO Network Drive Functionality - WOW!!!
                                              WHB Level 1

john beardsworth wrote:

We always think there's "not much complexity" in adding our own pet feature, don't we? And there's a long list of simple or advanced options that never gets any shorter.

My guess is that any additional network address blocking hasn't been deliberate, more that it the loopholes were a happy accident that Adobe haven't gone out of their way to preserve.

Your guess would be wrong John. I am going to assume, based on your perspective and assumption that you are not a software developer, nor a IT professional, I am both.

In this case (again) Adobe has taken the measure of actively writing code to identify and block the use of network storage resources. This is not debatable, accidental or buy happenstance as a result of some other feature. With each progressive version the "loop holes" as you call them, have been identified and closed. This takes goal definition,  active code development, functionality testing, breaking changes tests, regression testing, etc. This does not happen in a vacuum, it is a deliberate and defined process.

Lets be more specific. Adobe LR uses the file system components provided by the operating system, including some dialogs, APIs and system hooks. By their very nature, these components can (and do) allow guest software to interact with files store locally and on via the LAN, etc. Adobe has added code to their software to identify when  file resides anywhere other than locally, and blocks the use of location for several features

Granted, there are numerous missing features, wish list features, nitiwit feature requests etc.  In this case, the "feature" worked by default until Adobe took steps to block the functionality several version ago. They have continued to fine tune their blocking mechanism with each release.

• 20. Re: 2015 and NO Network Drive Functionality - WOW!!!
                                                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adobe does try to stop the catalog being on a network drive, yes.

Adobe may or may not have tightened the rules.  It could just be that this version of LR uses newer system-level file-system calls and the “IsANetworkDrive” check now returns True for more situations that used to get through, not due to Adobe changing something but due to M$/Apple changing something.

• 21. Re: 2015 and NO Network Drive Functionality - WOW!!!

You've been getting on your hind legs quite a lot in this thread, and it's getting boring. But let me express how wonderful it is, and such a privilege, to have a programmer here, and an IT professional, gosh, and a business owner too, with high level career in multi-billion dollar multinationals, and who might know a little more than most folk about how Adobe operate. I don't mean you though, do I? A few of us can play those cards. And you know, I might be using "guess" very loosely. As I say, I doubt Adobe have done anything deliberate to tighten their blocking mechanism. It'll just be the unintended consequences of other changes. We don't get all the things we want. Get over it.

• 22. Re: 2015 and NO Network Drive Functionality - WOW!!!
                                                    WHB Level 1

John,

It was not two posts ago that a moderator asked that there be no more insults or personal attacks, yet your post is dripping with insulting sarcasm aimed at me personally and not the topic at hand. Usually, when one party in a debate has to resort to insults instead of well articulated points, it is an indication that they may be in over their head, or have brought opinion to a debate that they can not support with facts. There is no disgrace is loosing a debate (many of us would call it learning) but there is no call for replacing civil discussion with sarcasm and insults. That brings me to my next point. Regarding one's experience or credentials: As I stated, my response was in context to what I know and what you said. If in-fact, you do have extensive experience in software development, file systems and storage, then you would appear to be playing the Devil's advocate or being intellectually dishonest for the sake of not ceding a point. That would be unfortunate, especially if you had insight to offer, instead of simply being contrary and sarcastic.

With regard to the "tightening" of the code to further prevent the use of network file resources for things like the catalog, auto-import, etc But alas, you (we?) are constructing a straw man. The issue is not if the code was enhanced (that was a postulate based on observation and experience), but the fact that it exists in the first place. Also, to reiterate, I have numerous other issues and gripes that have contributed to my disposition, though most are tangent or not in context to the issue being discussed here.

So we come full circle to my basic point. I am NOT asking for a feature. I am frustrated that I am being actively prevented from using the LR software on what is common and standard infrastructure in almost any modern computing environment.

• 23. Re: 2015 and NO Network Drive Functionality - WOW!!!
                                                      WHB Level 1

ssprengel wrote:

Adobe does try to stop the catalog being on a network drive, yes.

Adobe may or may not have tightened the rules.  It could just be that this version of LR uses newer system-level file-system calls and the “IsANetworkDrive” check now returns True for more situations that used to get through, not due to Adobe changing something but due to M$/Apple changing something.

In some contexts, that would be a very reasonable assumption and it could be the case here. As I mentioned above, my core complaint is not that the code has been upgraded, but that it exists in the first place, let alone in the new release.

It is my (I believe well founded) opinion that Adobe (among others) has neglected to adapt to numerous advancements in desktop computing paradigms, and instead is earnestly focused on simplification of support and development wherever possible, even if it means crippling of products, features, usability or productivity. Couple this with (they really go hand in hand) the the rush to force users into subscription based, cloud managed products, and we, the end-users find ourselves in a frustrating position. Again, this a lengthy tangential discussion that would wrap in numerous other products, problems, and topics. I simply mention it to give some frame of reference for my thoughts.  

• 24. Re: 2015 and NO Network Drive Functionality - WOW!!!

WILLIAM BURNETT wrote:

John,

It was not two posts ago that a moderator asked that there be no more insults or personal attacks, yet your post is dripping with insulting sarcasm aimed at me personally and not the topic at hand. Usually, when one party in a debate has to resort to insults instead of well articulated points, it is an indication that they may be in over their head, or have brought opinion to a debate that they can not support with facts. There is no disgrace is loosing a debate (many of us would call it learning) but there is no call for replacing civil discussion with sarcasm and insults. That brings me to my next point. Regarding one's experience or credentials: As I stated, my response was in context to what I know and what you said. If in-fact, you do have extensive experience in software development, file systems and storage, then you would appear to be playing the Devil's advocate or being intellectually dishonest for the sake of not ceding a point. That would be unfortunate, especially if you had insight to offer, instead of simply being contrary and sarcastic.

With regard to the "tightening" of the code to further prevent the use of network file resources for things like the catalog, auto-import, etc But alas, you (we?) are constructing a straw man. The issue is not if the code was enhanced (that was a postulate based on observation and experience), but the fact that it exists in the first place. Also, to reiterate, I have numerous other issues and gripes that have contributed to my disposition, though most are tangent or not in context to the issue being discussed here.

So we come full circle to my basic point. I am NOT asking for a feature. I am frustrated that I am being actively prevented from using the LR software on what is common and standard infrastructure in almost any modern computing environment.

You gave an opinion on Lightroom, and you are complaining about something missing. If other users find your answers poor they can answer to that, I see no personal offence, just a bit of frustration from somebody who does not see his opinion taken seriously. As to being sarcastic believe me you know the art better than anyone else here.

My guess is that different users have different needs. It might be that programmers behind Lightroom are serving a group that they see as the majority and not another, so you see a lack of service that is fundamental to you, while it is secondary for others. This happens with all the tools. If Adobe is taking a wrong direction, they will understand that soon enough I believe, the hard point in developing is following a vision vs making everybody happy. The second one is unfortunately impossible and the consequence is that some users feel betrayed or left behind or think the programmers are not doing things right.

The subscription choice is praised by some and hated by others, it is part of a vision of the company that many former CS user do not like. Some see the benefits, some don't, some do and don't care about those anyhow because the way they planned to use the softwares was best suited to licence selling instead of pay-as-you-go.

It is very ok to be disappointed that the new Lightroom does not meet your expectation and it's unfortunate, don't cut the legs of all other users because you want to win the match. This is a forum, MVPs are experienced as few others here, they are gurus and should be listened - you can disagree, but their experience and their comments are to be welcome with enthusiasm. That a MVPs (besides with all those stars) is showing here to talk to you it means they are offering their expertise and try to offer other points of view.

You are frustrated, they are frustrated.

I believe there is no solution to this, Lightroom is probably developing into something that does not give you all you need, then you can ask yourself how relevant it is for you, and if you are not seeing a solution that is fundamental for you, then the only solution is to find a competitor that gives you this option. The hard law of the market not even Adobe can bow to: can't make everybody happy.

• 25. Re: 2015 and NO Network Drive Functionality - WOW!!!

Dripping with sarcasm, you bet, but insulting only when you elevate yourself as uniquely qualified to determine how Lightroom should work. Owning an IT business, being a programmer, an IT professional too, and now having "extensive experience in software development, file systems and storage". Forgive me for not bowing! Sorry, but you're not the only one with relevant knowledge. Far from making "well-articulated points", you are "loosing" [sic] the debate by rejecting contrary information as intellectually dishonest argument.

Why did the limitation initially exist? Because it was too costly, and too far down the priority list, to make the application robust when the database was on networks (QE revealed this was a problem here). Why was network operation never addressed once Apple's "Photoshop-killer" was dead in its tracks and Lr was established? Because it had never been part of the spec and therefore wasn't a bug fix, single user demand was insufficient to add it as a feature, and Adobe chose not to make Lr multi-user. Then as time passes it's become even less of a priority for Adobe as customers' needs to access work from multiple clients has morphed from networked computers to computers plus mobile devices, allowing Adobe to sell a service. Factor in Dropbox too. But I've already told you that in fewer words.

Actively prevented from using a loophole? Not from what I know. Frustrated? You certainly are.

• 26. Re: 2015 and NO Network Drive Functionality - WOW!!!
                                                            Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This thread has reached it's conclusion and after consultation with Flora we have agreed to close it.

If you wish to discuss the merits of features and seek change where your voice can be heard please post here.

BTW there has been a recent review of moderation standards, etc. Don't be surprised of stricter enforcement of the Guidelines as the forums seek to refocus on assisting those with problems find solutions.

Thanks....