7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2015 11:55 AM by A.T. Romano

Problem with importing MOV videos

Haben

Hi I created project with mp4 and MOV videos. Then I closed Adobe Premiere Elemnts 11 and swith off PC. Today I'm trying to open this project again and Abobe PE reports a problem with importing video files.

I can see some videos in project on timeline, but I cannot play the preview. Videos are in next formats:

- H.264 from SJ CAM 4000 (MOV)

- MPEG-4 from LG G3 (mp4)

- MPEG-4 from iphone 5S (mov)

How to solve this problem?

ThanksVýstřižek.JPG

• 1. Re: Problem with importing MOV videos
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Haben

What computer operating system is involved?

1. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer, and are your running the programs as administrator?

2. Are your videos recorded with camera that records with variable rather than constant frame rate (this is typically of iphones, iPad, iPod)?

Premiere Elements has problems with this type of video. The symptoms range from audio out of sync to not being able to import the video at all.

3. From your screenshot, you appear to have 2 problems...

a. "Where is the file_____?" which suggests that you have moved, deleted, or renamed files/folders that were imported into the project after the save close of the project. That creates media-project disconnect issues. This type of matter is resolved by using these messages to reconnect the media to the project.

This could also point to malfunctioning external hard drive problem if you store your source media for the project on an external hard drive.

b. Error importing media which may be related to QuickTime need.

Please explain your screenshot in more detail. Did you open the project, get the "Where is the file____?" message, and tried to do the reconnect and got the media import error?

Any questions or need clarification on the above, please ask. We will be watching for your reply with details as your schedule permits.

What is your language version and or language setting?

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Problem with importing MOV videos
            Haben Level 1

Thanks for answer.

Operating system is Win 8.1.

1. Yes, the latest version of QuickTime is installed, and running programs a admin.
            2. Yes, from iphone, there are videos with 30 frames and with 120 frames/sec. From LG and from SJCAM are videos with constant frame.
            3. All videos are still in the same folder. If I show to AE, where this video is save, AE reports problem with importing. Data are stored on internal harddisk.

Please explain your screenshot in more detail. Did you open the project, get the "Where is the file____?" message, and tried to do the reconnect and got the media import error? YES, THIS IS THE PROBLEM. I CANNOT REDIRECT "Where is the file____?" TO THE FILE.

Language version and settings is CZECH.

Regards

Martin

• 3. Re: Problem with importing MOV videos
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Martin

Thank you for the reply.

The "Where is the file_____?" message looks for the file with the specific name and type in the location where it was when it was imported into the project.

Let us start this way.

1. After you saved closed the project, did you move, delete, rename files and folders that were imported into the project after the project was saved closed?

You say that you are using internal hard drive for the file storage. Is the drive letter for that drive changing for any reason?

then

2. With Premiere Elements and the project closed, can you go to the internal hard drive and find all of the files that are missing in this project.

When you open the saved closed project, you are met with "Where is the file destke-koup.mov?" and you get the import error message when you try to use it to reconnect the file to the project. If you click Skip in the dialog, you probably get another "Where as ....?" message for another file missing from the project. Do you get the same error message for this second one also? Or, does this give a file-project connect? Can you connect any of the missing files to the project with this "Where is the file.....?" message?

ATR

• 4. Re: Problem with importing MOV videos
                Haben Level 1

1. No I didn't move, rename and etc. video files or folders. I didn't change the letter of hard drive. I only closed AE, shut down PC, go to sleep and in the morning I run PC and AE and AE reported the problem with import.Video files are still in the same place (folder, have got the same name and after I click on the video file to "find" it, AE reports the eror.

2. Yes, I can find in the same folder all videos.

I cannot connect any of the missing files. And if I'm opening the project, some times if are videos loaded, it will freez.

• 5. Re: Problem with importing MOV videos
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Haben

Thanks for the update.

If you have not already, please take a look at the following Adobe document on troubleshooting damaged project and determine if there is anything in that we have not considered.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/troubleshoot-damaged-projects-premiere-elemen ts.html

A thought for next time....

If you started a new project and use the same source media in the new project, save, close, reopen it, do you have the same problem again?

To be continued...

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Problem with importing MOV videos
                    Haben Level 1

Great job. Thank you for your patience. The link above contains the correct solution.

I renamed folder with videos, then I opened the project, Adobe asked me "Where is the file_____?", I click to first video in renamed folder and after 1 minutes of "hour-glass" all videos were loaded and I can see the videos and hear sounds. So I hope, it will be solved in whole project and this error will not appear again.

Thank you once again, You saved 5 hours of my work.

Martin

• 7. Re: Problem with importing MOV videos
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Haben

Thanks you for staying with the troubleshooting suggestions. And, you were the one who did the great job taking the time to sort through those suggestions to gain your success.

We are very pleased with the outcome.

The follow up was much appreciated.

Best wishes

ATR