32 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2015 6:22 AM by trshaner

Aerial Drone Lens Profiles

jerryp97433002 Level 1

I use LR5 & in need of a lens profile for my aerial drone, Adobe has it for LR6 but not LR5. Lens Profile Description in LR6 is a "Yunteec CGO2".  How can I get a downloadable profile for LR5? I know about Lens Profile Creator but read its pretty involved (Julian Kost Tutorial),  I'm computer savoy but this might be to complicated for me & I don't want to screw up my LR5. Looking forward to hearing from you, hope I can get some answers........Jerry

• 1. Re: Aerial Drone Lens Profiles
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You install the latest DNG Converter, copy the lens profile file from where DNGC installs to the Users lens profile area.

Here is the information for Windows:

The DNG Converter is here:  http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

The DNG Converter installs lens profiles for drone, here:  C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0\Yuneec

The Users profile area is here:  C:\Users\-yourusername-\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0\Downloaded

The AppData folder is hidden so if you haven't enabled visibility for System and Hidden folders, you can type %APPDATA% in a Windows Explorer address area and hit enter and be down into Roaming, already.

• 2. Re: Aerial Drone Lens Profiles
            jerryp97433002 Level 1

Thanks for the help, boy I hope I don't screw this up. Like I said I'm not that computer savoy. I will be giving this a shot later on in the week when I have some time. If I have a question or issue I'll be in touch. Thx again for your help....Jerry

• 3. Re: Aerial Drone Lens Profiles
              jerryp97433002 Level 1

I went into LR5 this morning & under Edit \ Preferences \  File Handling & it shows Camera Raw 7.1 and later, so I'm confused. Do I have it already & in need of and update? The new one is for DNG Converter 9.1.1. If I download the newer version will I have 2 DNG Converters or does it just update the other version? Like I mentioned when I check for LR5 updates it says I'm current no updates available, if I was current wouldn't the drone update already be in there? Jerry

Preferences_.jpg

• 4. Re: Aerial Drone Lens Profiles
                jerryp97433002 Level 1

One other thing the DNG Converter 9.1.1 states "The Adobe DNG Converter is a free utility that enables you to easily convert camera-specific raw files from more than 350 cameras to more universal DNG raw format". The photos are 16mp jpg's. So I'm confused here as well. Not sure if the converter (read its a stand alone) or plug in for LR5. Between reading articles & watching youtube videos its getting a bit more confusing. I am trying to understand the language, program, & terms as I go. I don't have a full grasp how everything comes together but getting there slowly, so your patience is greatly appreciated.....Jerry

• 5. Re: Aerial Drone Lens Profiles

Just to be clear, what you're asking about, now, the DNG settings in LR and the operation of the DNG Converter has nothing to do with lens profiles for your drone's camera.  You were asked to install the DNG Converter to get the new lens profiles, that's all.

LR can create DNGs from raw files it understands during Import as a convenience for people who want DNGs instead of native raw files from their camera.  That is what those settings are for.  The camera your drone is using can apparently create both raw and JPG files, although it is producing JPGs at the moment, you've said.

If you had LR 6 and were working with raw files from your drone instead of JPGs then those settings would be applicable.  LR 5 doesn't understand the raw files from your drone so wouldn't be able to convert them to DNGs, anyway.

If at some point you switch your drone camera to creating raw files, you could use the standalone DNG Converter to create DNGs from the raw files and LR 5 would be able to understand those DNGs.

• 6. Re: Aerial Drone Lens Profiles
                    jerryp97433002 Level 1

Thanks for clearing that up(DNG Settings in LR), I read a couple articles on the forums & then I saw it in LR's Preferences & it made me question.

Originally I was asking for a lens profile for my drone because I have been doing it manually in LR. Saved an adjustment I did on a photo as a preset & its been working ok with some minor adjustments depending on the angle of the photo when it was taken. Want to be able to go into the development module, LR \ Develop \ Lens Correction \ Profiles & see my drone & lens in the drop down menus, that was my goal.  I did download Adobe DNG Converter 9.1.1 like you instructed, found the drone, C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0\Yuneec, there are 2 files CG02gb - RAW.lcp & CG02gb.lcp, then to the next step C:\Users\-yourusername-\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0\Downloaded & now I'm lost. (See Photo) I have no idea what to do next. Not even sure if I'm in the right place. Your Thoughts....I need a clear step by step from here. Jerry

Untitled.jpg

• 7. Re: Aerial Drone Lens Profiles

You don't need to search for %APPDATA%

First of all go to the Yuneec folder you have, above, highlight both files, and do a right-click Copy.

Then, starting from where the screenshot above is, or just by opening Windows Explorer, at the left click on OS (C:), then just type %APPDATA% in the Windows Explorer address bar, similar where it says Search Results, now, but not in the Search window, just regular Windows Explorer window.

Once you do that you'll have Windows Explorer open on the Roaming folder, and you can click down into Adobe, Camera Raw, Lens Profiles, 1.0, then right-click and make a Downloaded folder, click into it and right-click Paste the two files you've copied from the other folder.

• 8. Re: Aerial Drone Lens Profiles
                        jerryp97433002 Level 1

I think that did it, however just a couple of things. Once I got to Lens Profiles I opened it & it was empty, no 1.0 as you mentioned? So I created a folder, named it Yunteec, then pasted the 2 files. Should this be ok & work now? or should there be a 1.0 file? Jerry

• 9. Re: Aerial Drone Lens Profiles

Mine are under 1.0\Downloaded but you can try it without the 1.0 and see if it works, maybe it will.

• 10. Re: Aerial Drone Lens Profiles
                            jerryp97433002 Level 1

Well that worked, unfortunately I wish the results were better. In the photo (see attached) one is my preset & the other is the lens correction for Yunteec. I think my preset helped the horizon edges better, some slight roll off using lens correction in the LR.  Besides I also had to make a few other adjustments to get it to look as good as it does. Think I'll stick to my preset, just 1 click & its there. I was hoping for no horizon roll offs at the edges. It shows up better in a larger size then it does here. It is what it is.

Thank you for helping me through this, very much appreciated. I do have another issue in LR, maybe you can help. 

I started shooting real estate photos for my wife & actually they turned out really nice, started with a Nikon d7000(18MP) then wanted to get a full frame & purchased a Sony A7II(24MP), I always shoot RAW & Jpeg, like having both options available to me. I import the RAW images(20MB), make my adjustments, then when its time to save a file to a folder it re-sizes to Jpeg & file is around 2.0 to 7.0 MB, (happens with both cameras) no matter what I do I cannot save a photo any larger. I've never actually printed any because its all on the web, photos have to be re-sized then uploaded to the MLS(Multiple Listing Service) for other realtors to view. I have taken many photos that I'd like to enlarge but if everything re-sizes 2.0 - 7.0 MB isn't that going to produce a poor quality large print say 16 x 24 or 24 x 36 print size? I purchased this camera for the larger mega-pixels in case I had to crop, plus I love the in camera stabilization it offers.  I thought a larger file size produces larger prints & best quality, what don't I understand?  When I shot photos its always at the largest size camera setting 24MP. And no matter what I do in LR export it always produces low file sizes (2.0 - 7.0), will that be enough for large print sizes or is there a setting I am missing, and/or what am I not getting?

Jerry

P.S. You're probably wondering why I haven't printed any photos, I live in the Florida Keys & have to make a trip to Miami, seems like when I have to go to the mainland the photo place isn't near by, it would be a special trip, will make it one day.

Aerials Side by Side.jpg

• 11. Re: Aerial Drone Lens Profiles

The pixel dimensions, mainly, and the quality of the JPG compression affect the maximum size of the print you can make.  The file size is dependent on those two factors plus how well the pixel data compresses, which will make smaller images with there are large expanses of similar pixel values, like sky, vs larger filesizes when there is micro detail everywhere, either because you have a small, fine details in the scene, like leaves and grass or stucco walls, or there is high-ISO noise-grain and/or excessive sharpening.

In other words for the highest quality prints, don't resize smaller and use the highest quality (lowest compression) setting in Export, and don't reduce the luminance noise too much that will cause undue smoothing that will, of course, compress better, but look plastic and unnatural.

• 12. Re: Aerial Drone Lens Profiles

It looks like you might have some residual "moustache" lens distortion, which I don't think Adobe handles, either manually, or with a lens profile.  DxO products, do, I think, but I doubt they'd have a profile for a drone camera.

• 13. Re: Aerial Drone Lens Profiles
                                  jerryp97433002 Level 1

Thanks for your insight, what I have works just fine.

• 14. Re: Aerial Drone Lens Profiles
                                    jerryp97433002 Level 1

One of my concerns was over sharpening for prints. My usual settings in LR are around 40 for sharpening & the same for noise reduction in develop module, but when in export module the quality setting is set at 80, then I reduce the photo size for the web site (1400 Long Edge) they say 3000 x 2000 is ok & not to exceed 15MB. I find that's way to large & pics viewed on a standard pc that most agents have experience a lag time flipping through multiple house photos, new pic about every 4 - 5 secs. If I reduce to 1400 long edge the pics are a nice view-able size & you can flip through them quickly without lag. My Resolution set at 350 (same as camera), Output Sharpening for screen is "Standard". If you see something I should be aware of in my settings please let me know. Also What does "Limit File Size To" mean? Mine is unchecked but when should this be used & what number in the box? I need to go on the forums &/or Adobe site & find a tutorial on all the Export settings & what they mean in the export module....Jerry

• 15. Re: Aerial Drone Lens Profiles

You would want to export photos differently if you want to print them in large canvas vs for viewing online.

If you enable Limit File Size and put in an amount, then LR will reduce the quality of the export until the MB of the file being exported is below the specified bytes.  I never use this because I want to control how my images look, but I could see people using it if they wanted low-quality, small JPGs for some sort of quick preview, or needed to fit 1000s of photos on a DVD or some other reason where filesize was more concerning than quality.

As far as what sharpening, noise-reduction, and Export sharpening you should be using, it really depends on what things look like compared to how picky or relaxed you are about it, and if things will be viewed online vs printed, where printing needs more sharpening.  Normally you should view your images at 1:1 or 100% zoom when judging how well the sharpening and noise-reduction are working, otherwise the accuracy of the resampling for screen-size algorithm will skew how things look, sometimes significantly. 

• 16. Re: Aerial Drone Lens Profiles
                                        jerryp97433002 Level 1

I have noticed a few of my photos that I resized & had noise issues, not all but a few. Now I'm sure I over sharpened them between the develop module & export module. Thx.....Jerry

• 17. Re: Aerial Drone Lens Profiles
                                          jerryp97433002 Level 1

I do look at photos using the sharpening tool in the develop module & move the cursor around. To be honest here I am still learning how to read the results. I see the image results change but have a hard to analyzing the results, how high is to much & how low is to low. Its just going to take practice. Lately I have scaled down the sharpening & noise settings a bit & it seems better. Yesterday I took photos & videos for a property my wife has listed & when I process them today will be mindful of this....Jerry Thx

• 18. Re: Aerial Drone Lens Profiles
                                            jerryp97433002 Level 1

I took some photos of a townhouse the other day & noticed some issues in the picture quality around the edges of furniture, trim around doors, just about everything. Because they are re-sized smaller it didn't show up to much but at regular size it was noticeable. (Attached is a photo) Went back into LR a few times & no matter what the settings it was still there. I enlarged so you can see it. What do you think causes this?

Jerry

Sample Photo.jpg

• 19. Re: Aerial Drone Lens Profiles

Those are JPG compression artifacts.  Is this an original from the camera?  Are you not shooting raw?

• 20. Re: Aerial Drone Lens Profiles
                                                jerryp97433002 Level 1

I did not shoot raw, this is a Jpg. The photo settings:  24 MB setting on the camera, 6000x4000 that was resized to 1200 long, 80% resolution,  and 350dpi, Standard sharpening.

• 21. Re: Aerial Drone Lens Profiles
                                                  jerryp97433002 Level 1

Sony A7II, Sony FE Lens 16-35mm F4

• 22. Re: Aerial Drone Lens Profiles

When you lower the quality setting or raise the compression setting when producing JPGs, this adds more of the artifacts along edges, like ripples, and any sharpening you apply will accentuate them.

You should be shooting with the highest quality setting in the camera if you’re shooting JPGs.  Large/Fine is what my Canon uses for the value of the best setting, I think.  If you’re using something like Large/Medium then the artifacts will be more.  Also sharpen less in camera because you can’t undo its mistakes. 

Are these artifacts visible in LR when viewing the original JPG from the camera?  If so then your camera may be set to produce less than the best quality, or may not be able to produce good quality and it may be time to shoot RAW or at least RAW+JPG so you have a choice.  If you’re shooting JPGs to fit more photos on a memory card, ten get a larger memory card and shoot RAW.  I mean this isn’t high-speed racing or sports shooting where maximizing burst frame rate is the highest priority.

In LR when exporting the photos, make the quality higher (100 instead of 80) and see if the artifacts are less.  If so then you know what you’re choosing between. 

In other words figure out if these artifacts are in the image from the camera or if you’re introducing them in LR, perhaps during the Export.  Once you figure this out then you’ll be able choose what to do different with which part of the process.

• 23. Re: Aerial Drone Lens Profiles
                                                      jerryp97433002 Level 1

My camera settings are RAW & JPG, Fine, & Extra Fine. I was using extra fine & noticed them so I went to fine, they are still there. I have been shooting large files in JPG, my camera is 24MP, I can choose between

6M,10M,or 24M, I go with 24M. I reduced the sharpening in LR to 25 & noise to around 10. As for output sharpening for screen in the export module I have set to STD. What about in camera settings for Shading, Chro.Aber., & Distortion Compensation, I have a choice between Auto & Off, I have Auto selected for all 3, think this might have anything to do with it? If I have Chro.Aber choosen & then I do it again in LR maybe its to much? Your thoughts...

As for seeing them in LR no its not there at a 1:1 ratio only after I reduce & export does it show up. As for My memory card I use a Sony Class 64GB, Class 10, 94MB/s.

I heard that 100 makes a difference in cropping but not much difference between 80 & 100, but I will try.

If you view the photos before it goes into LR it is not there, only seem to get this problem upon exporting from LR.

• 24. Re: Aerial Drone Lens Profiles
                                                        jerryp97433002 Level 1

BTW, I also noticed that no Sony lens profiles are in the Lens Compensation tab, since I've has LR5 there have been updates (I am up to date) for so many lenses but nothing shows up. I have just one lens profile for Sony (see attached) & I don't even have that lens. I choose Basic & it seems to work ok....I guess, I have nothing to compare it to. I wonder why no Sony lenses have been added to my LR. The drop down menu under Profile shows plenty for Apple, Canon, Nikon, Sigma, GoPro, etc...but non for Sony? Any thoughts on that issue?

Sony Lens Profile.jpg

• 25. Re: Aerial Drone Lens Profiles

You should be using Extra Fine or whatever the best quality JPG setting is.  I would think that Extra Fine is better than plain Fine.  Using the highest dimension 6000x4000 is good.

My guess is that either LR is adding the artifacts because you're not using Quality 100% during Export or LR is sharpening existing artifacts from the camera that you can't see in Develop but are accentuated using Screen - Standard sharpening during Export.

Try Quality 100, first, and see if that helps, then try reducing the sharpening in the Export panel to see if that helps.

It might be worth posting your original out-of-camera JPG as well as your Exported JPG here to have others look and experiment with them.  It would also be useful to have a screenshot of your Basic and Detail settings in LR.

To post a large JPG file, don't include it in a message, here, upload it to www.dropbox.com and post a public share link, here.   Screenshots are ok to post directly in a message, here.

• 26. Re: Aerial Drone Lens Profiles
                                                            jerryp97433002 Level 1

I'll do what I can this weekend, have to work some, the photos I have are set to fine, lets start out with fresh ones. I was considering getting some prints made at Walgreen's to see how they turn out, very curious to see if it gets passed onto prints or just screen images....Jerry....Thx for all your help.

• 27. Re: Aerial Drone Lens Profiles
                                                              jerryp97433002 Level 1

This afternoon I took a test photo of my dining room & kitchen area then processed in LR.

Camera Settings:  24MP \  X.Fine \  100 ISO \  Dimensions 6000x4000

Develop Module : 40 Sharpeness \ 40 Noise reduction

Export : 6000x4000 \ Quality 100% \ 350 Res \ No Screen Sharpening

Photo came out real good, couldn't see anything around the edges. Then I exported another photo with Long Edge set to 1200, still good.  I opened in Paint & enlarged & did not see any issues that I was having before. I may have sharpened correctly in the develop module but when exported I added Standard Sharpening, reduced to 1200, Quality set between 70-80, causing the squiggly lines around edges of tables, door frame, windows, etc...actually anywhere that one shade of color meets another.

Taking photos of a new property listing tomorrow, we'll see how it goes. I still had a question you never got back with me about, the camera profile & lens corrections that are missing from my LR for Sony A7II. Any thoughts as to why my updates didn't include them? Now that I included my drone profile I could do the same thing again for my Sony, correct?.....Jerry

• 28. Re: Aerial Drone Lens Profiles

So you've discovered that LR Export Qual 70-80 adds edge artifacts when the original Extra Fine camera JPGs didn't have them.

Lens profiles are for raw files, usually; however, if the A7 II is a mirrorless camera then the camera is already applying lens profile corrections to its JPGs, and if you shot RAW then LR would be automatically apply them so you'd never see the image without them being applied, either from the camera or in LR.  There is an info balloon in the lens corrections are of LR that will say what sorts of corrections were done to a raw photo if the lens profile is built-in like it is for most mirrorless cameras.

If the A7 II is not a mirrorless camera and there are A7 II lens profiles under the c:\ProgramData folder then you could copy them under the Users folder and they'd be seen.

• 29. Re: Aerial Drone Lens Profiles
                                                                  jerryp97433002 Level 1

Your advice & questions you answered taught me a lot. This has been a good learning curve. Once again many Thx....Jerry

• 30. Re: Aerial Drone Lens Profiles
                                                                    trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

jerryp97433002 wrote:

Camera Settings:  24MP \  X.Fine \  100 ISO \  Dimensions 6000x4000

Develop Module : 40 Sharpeness \ 40 Noise reduction

Export : 6000x4000 \ Quality 100% \ 350 Res \ No Screen Sharpening

When shooting camera JPEGs the camera automatically applies sharpening and noise reduction using the camera''s settings. A LR Develop Sharpening Amount of 40 is very high for a camera JPEG and may cause the artifacts you are seeing. In addition a Luminance NR setting of 40 is also very high, which may soften the image detail.

jerryp97433002 wrote:

I may have sharpened correctly in the develop module but when exported I added Standard Sharpening, reduced to 1200, Quality set between 70-80, causing the squiggly lines around edges of tables, door frame, windows, etc...actually anywhere that one shade of color meets another.

Export Standard Sharpening and Quality 70-80 should not normally add visible artifacts in a 1200 long edge resized image. The additional Sharpening Amount 40 applied to the camera JPEG file is most likely causing this issue. Try the Export again using Sharpening Amount 0 and Luminance NR 0 with the same 1200 Resize, Standard Sharpening and 70-80 Quality setting. Also, make sure 'Limit File Size to:' is NOT checked!

BTW- There are only 13 LR Export module Sharpening settings and not 101 (0-100). For most images a Quality setting of 70 or the next step up of 80 should be fine. settings of 93-100 will greatly inflate the file size without adding any visible improvement.

Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » An Analysis of Lightroom JPEG Export Quality Settings

LR Quality Settings

Use      LR Range

0          0-7%

10        8-15%

20        16-23%

30        24-30%

35        31-38%

40        39-46%

50        47-53%

55        54-61%

65        62-69%

70        70-76%

80        77-84%

90        85-92%

100      93-100%

In the future you will get the best results by setting your camera to output raw image files (ARW). You can also shoot raw + JPEG to help understand what LR settings are needed with the raw files to match the JPEGs. You will also be able to use the LR Lens Profiles with the ARW files.

• 31. Re: Aerial Drone Lens Profiles
                                                                      jerryp97433002 Level 1

Thanks for the advise, I appreciate the LR Quality Settings you gave me, it will go in my note file for future reference. I will try it tomorrow, been taking real estate photos for 2 days now & will process them tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing the results. I feel I'm on the right track. As for the develop module sharpening I will definitely tone it down. I always thought I was good around 30-40, at least that's what most bloggers & video tutorials say, like I couldn't go wrong in that range. Thanks again.....Jerry

• 32. Re: Aerial Drone Lens Profiles
                                                                        trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

jerryp97433002 wrote:

As for the develop module sharpening I will definitely tone it down. I always thought I was good around 30-40, at least that's what most bloggers & video tutorials say, like I couldn't go wrong in that range.

That's a reasonable Sharpening Amount setting for raw image files, but probably not for JPEGS. In addition camera JPEGs shot at low settings ISO (100-400) should have no visible noise and require zero (0) LR Luminace and zero (0) Color Noise Reduction. By applying Luminance NR of 40 you are unnecessarily reducing the image sharpness regardless of the Sharpening settings used. Raw images have no in-camera sharpening or noise reduction applied, so you need to apply them inside LR based on shooting ISO and general experience with the camera's raw images. When the camera is set to shoot JPEG files it applies Sharpening and Noise Reduction to the image based on the camera's 'Creative Styles' setting. The camera JPEG has these Sharpening and Noise Reduction settings "baked-in," which is why shooting raw files provides more processing flexibility. You can certainly apply "additional" Sharpening to camera JPEG files inside LR, but if the camera has applied a high amount of sharpening the results aren't going to be pretty! When adjusting Sharpening use 1:1 Zoom view setting and hold down the ALT key. This helps to see sharpening halos, which you want to avoid.

When Exporting files for screen viewing and prints make sure to Resize the image file to an appropriate resolution and apply Output Sharpening using those named settings: Screen for screen viewing and Glossy/Matte for prints. When images are resized the 'Output Sharpening' setting (Low, Standard High) is what determines the "amount" of sharpening in the image. Increasing LR's Develop module Sharpening has much less effect on the resized image's sharpness.

Sharpening Workflow

Capture Sharpening: Develop module Detail panel

Local Sharpening (optional): Graduated Filter, Radial Filter, Adjustment Brush

Output Sharpening: Only when using 'Resize to Fit' in the Export module.

Set your Sony A7II to shoot raw files. I think you'll be very pleased with the results once you can gain some experience processing them in LR.