12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2015 10:37 AM by Steve Grisetti

Editing film on Premier Elements 13

andrewr50492537

on loading my film from my DJI Phantom 3 Pro - 4k camera. The playback is staccato and on editing sections of film is lost. Any suggestions on how to sort this?

• 1. Re: Editing film on Premier Elements 13
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The current version of Premiere Elements supports 4K video in the XAVC/Mp4 format.

In most cases, the program will automatically set up your project to match your video specs. However, sometimes the program has trouble reading MOV specs and it doesn't properly set up your project.

After you add your video to your timeline, what Project Settings are listed under the Edit menu, on the General page?

• 2. Re: Editing film on Premier Elements 13
            andrewr50492537 Level 1

Thanks

The Settings are as follows

Editing Mode - RED Cinema

Timebase - 25.00 frames/second

Video

Frame size 3840 horiz 2160 vertical

Pixel aspect ratio Square pixels (1.0)

Fields No fields (Progressive Scan)

Display format 25fps Timecode

Title Safe area 20% horiz 20% vert

Action safe area 10% horiz 10% vert

• 3. Re: Editing film on Premier Elements 13

Those are the Project Settings in Premiere Elements, right? That's good.

Now what are the specs of your video (which I assume are MOV files)?

Open one of your video files in G Spot or Media Info and list the resolution, frame rate and audio and video codecs it lists.

GSpot Codec Information Appliance

• 4. Re: Editing film on Premier Elements 13
                andrewr50492537 Level 1

Yes those were the settings in Premier Elements.

The files are .MOV as you say

The film codec that is given is :-

MPEG - 4

2.35GiB

1 video Stream : AVC

Overall Bit rate mode - variable

Overall bit rate - 60 Mbps

Encoded UTC 2015

Comment 0.9.138

English

60Mbps

3840 * 2160 16:9

at 25Fps

AVC (high@L5.1) (CABAC/1 Ref frames)

Thanks for your help and look forward to hearing from you again

Andrew

• 5. Re: Editing film on Premier Elements 13

Everything looks to be exactly as it should be. Which, for better or worse, would indicate that you're getting the best possible performance on your system.

One final question: When you add your video to your timeline in Expert view, do you see a yellow-orange line along the top of the timeline, above the clips?

If not, then your project is perfectly matched to your video and the program is as optimized as possible for this type of video.

If you do see the yellow orange line, press the Return button on your keyboard and let the program render the video. The line will turn green and then should play more smoothly.

Regardless, please let us know what results you're getting so we'll know what's up.

• 6. Re: Editing film on Premier Elements 13
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Andrew

I have been following your thread with interest. Now that the discussion in progress appears to have concluded, I would like to explore some troubleshooting with you if you are interested and your time permits.

From what I have read of your camera, it records AVCHD to give you a .mp4 or .mov file extension. I have noted that you appear to be using the file with the .mov file extension and that you appear to be in a PAL setup. But I see no mention of your computer operating system. Could you post that information?

Have you had the opportunity to have your camera record so that you had an AVCHD.mp4 file to bring into Premiere Elements instead of an AVCHD.mov file. If possible, it would be interesting to compare those results. In either case, is your video being recorded with a variable or constant frame rate? One way to tell for sure is to import the video into a video audio properties read out program and see if the readout shows one or three frames rates. If variable frame rate, you should see a minimum frame rate, frame rate, and maximum frame rate. The MediaInfo program would give you that information. You just need to download and install that free software carefully to avoid getting hit with unwanted baggage.

We will be watching for further developments.

ATR

• 7. Re: Editing film on Premier Elements 13

The discussion is far from over, ATR. I'm still waiting for Andrew to tell me if there's a yellow-orange line along the top of the timeline when he adds clips to it.

• 8. Re: Editing film on Premier Elements 13
                        andrewr50492537 Level 1

Steve

Thanks for your continued assistance

I have just loaded a clip and there is indeed a yellow/orange line across the top of the loaded clip in Video 1 position.

I hit enter and the time line moved through the film the screen at the end became slightly longer with a black strip ant then this disappeared.

I tried to play the clip again, it ran for about 2 seconds and then returned to its usual staccato stills jumping through the clip but not keeping up with the time line as it moved. The yellow/Orange line did not change to green.

• 9. Re: Editing film on Premier Elements 13
                          andrewr50492537 Level 1

Steve

just tried to render a 5 minute film by both hitting the return key and the Render button below the edit screen to the right. Neither worked and the yellow bar is still yellow.

I Noticed that above the timelime there is an option of Opacity:Opacity with a down arrow

no idea what this means but there are other options Under a drop down titled Motion?

Hadn't noticed this before but may be no help......

regards

Andrew

• 10. Re: Editing film on Premier Elements 13

Andrew, I just want to make sure we're talking about the same yellow-orange bar.

I am not talking about the yellow "rubber band" bar that runs horizontally through every clip on the timeline. That is something else.

I am talking about along the top of the timeline -- above (not on) the clips. Is this where you're seeing a yellow-orange line?

If so, this line will turn green after you Render the timeline.

If there is no yellow or green line along the top of the timeline, then you know your project settings are perfectly matched to your project specs.

• 11. Re: Editing film on Premier Elements 13
                              andrewr50492537 Level 1

Steve

Ah I think I was looking at the yellow line running through the middle of the timeline. The bar above is blue, its never turned green though after I Render the clip.

I am afraid that if this is perfectly matched its just not good enough to be able to edit the film as the preview does not run smoothly and you can't see the film to edit it.

If I take a punt and cut bits I do not see what I have made until I hit publish, once it has saved and you view the film, it runs properly.

I think I will be asking for my money back if this is the best I can expect. Its not really fit for purpose......

Any other ideas?

My Computer system is as follows - Windows 8.1, Intel Core i3 -3217U CPU, RAM 8GB, 64 bit operating system, x64- based processor. I have 495 GB Free on the disc. NTFS File System.

Andrew

• 12. Re: Editing film on Premier Elements 13

Yes, it could be that your computer isn't fast enough to edit 4k in Premiere Elements.

As you can see, your processor benchmarks at 2285 on this chart. I usually recommend editing computers benchmark at at least 5000-6000.

PassMark CPU Benchmarks - High Mid Range CPUs

You may want to test drive a program called CyberLink PowerDirector, which handles 4K a little more efficiently than Premiere Elements. It may be a better fit for you.