37 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2015 10:37 AM by A.T. Romano

DVD results

yvonneo63845245

I have made a slide show with Elements 13.  I put captions on many slides.  I have burned the slide show to a DVD to play on a TV.  The results are good except the captions are only showing the top half of the letters.

YO

• 1. Re: DVD results
          A.T. Romano Level 7

yvonneo

Where did you create and burn your slideshow to DVD?

a. Elements Organizer 13/13.1 Slideshow Builder which would mean that you exported the AVCHD.mp4 720p or 1080p slideshow to file and then imported that file into Premiere Elements for the burn to disc? Where were the captions created?

or

b. All in Premiere Elements Editor? Where were the captions created? Did you have the Safety Margins on?

What were the Premiere Elements project settings. If you do not know, please tell us the project's readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General (even if the fields look grayed out).

What did you use for burn to settings

a. DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on DVD disc

or

b. AVCHD on DVD disc?

Let us start here and then let us decide what next. The settings are very important.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you need clarification on any of the above.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: DVD results
            yvonneo63845245 Level 1

I used Elements 13.0 Organizer.

Captions in Premier Elements Slide Show Builder.  There, from what I can

tell is no place I can alter margins?

Export to file (720;HD)

Wide screen DVD.  When that didn't work I tried the standard DVD.

On Sun, Aug 9, 2015 at 2:10 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 3. Re: DVD results
              A.T. Romano Level 7

yvonneo

Thanks for the additional information.

When you enable and add a caption to a photo in the Elements Organizer 13/13.1 Slideshow Builder, the location of the caption will vary depending on which theme you select...that is even with a actually typing in the caption underneath the photo in the Slideshow Builder.

I suspect that you have selected the Album theme which has the captions showing in its 720p file above the image. Nonetheless, I would not expect the captions to be getting cut off with a 720p file, a 720p Premiere Elements 720p project preset, and the burn to disc NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby preset.

So, let us go back....

After you import the 720p slideshow into the project, right click the Edit area monitor and select Safe Margins. On screen, you should see two rectangles. You keep your text within the inner rectangle and your movie's action within the outer rectangle. This all has to do with a TV only concept of over scan.

a. How much of the caption is cut off in the Edit area monitor view?

b. Depending on "a", go to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and change from 20% to

Title Safe Area = 10% horizontal and 10% vertical

If your captions are within those limits, then move on to Publish+Share/Disc/DVD with preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD (if you are in a NTSC rather than PAL setup).

Let us see if the over scan idea targets your issue.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: DVD results
                yvonneo63845245 Level 1

In Slideshow Builder I selected Classic Dark.  I must remind you I am

working in version 3.0.  Is there an update which I didn't get?

When I view the show on my computer monitor all the verbiage is visible.

However when I burn it to a DVD it cuts the verbiage in half horizontally.

How do I send the slide show into the project?

YO

On Sun, Aug 9, 2015 at 7:16 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 5. Re: DVD results
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

YO

I think that you meant that you have just version 13.0, not 3.0.

There is a 13.1 Update for 13. You download and install that update using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates.

The following will describe the most obvious features of the 13.1 Update...

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 13: Adobe Releases Premiere Elements 13.1 Update

I do not believe that is at the core of your issue. Using the Classic Dark slideshow theme, I will do a run through to DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc to see what that looks like. Previously I had look at your issue with the Album slideshow theme and 720p export from the Elements Organizer 13/13.1.

The only way to get the slideshow into the project is to export the slideshow as 720p or 1080p file saved to the computer hard drive and then import that file into a Premiere Elements project with a 720p or 1080p project preset.

To be continued...

ATR

Add On...how did the Safe Margins changes work out...do that solve anything?

• 6. Re: DVD results
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

YO

The information about the theme in use Classic Dark was a major help in targeting the issue and what needs to be done.

1. If you create the 720p or 1080p version of your slideshow with a Classic Dark theme and add captions to the photos, those captions will appear at the bottom of the photos in the Slideshow Builder as well as in Premiere Elements Editor. The captions will arrive in Premiere Elements Editor with the captions outside the Safe Margins limits for titles. Consequently your captions are being chopped off at the top of the letters.

Possibilities for working through this matter....

a. Since this particular theme has a prominent dark shadow at it bottom edge of the image in the Premiere Elements Editor monitor, click on drag the image on screen upward until the caption just sits on the Safety Margins Title line. See screenshot 1 (before) and 2 (after) This was a 1080p slideshow, but same issue with 720p slideshow.

classicdark in pe.JPG.

classicdarkup.JPG

b. You could turn the Captions Off in the Slideshow Build and add titles (captions) in the Premiere Elements Editor...See Text Menu/New Text/Default Text.

Then to each title for each photo, you could add a Fade InOut. (The titles would go on Video 2 above the related photo on Video 1).

These "homemade" titles were done for a 720p slideshow with no captions added in the Elements Organizer Slideshow Builder.

homemadetitles.JPG

c. If you went with a different theme, specifically Album, the captions would appear at the top of the image and I do not see them getting chopped when in Premiere Elements....seem to stay within Safe Margins titles.

Album Example.JPG

Please consider. Then we will discuss the results as your schedule permits.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: DVD results
                      yvonneo63845245 Level 1

OK, I got frustrated and I have started over making my slide presentation.

I have made a title for the video.  When I play it to see how it looks the

text put into each slide carries over to the next slide?  How do I prevent

that from happening?

YO

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 5:58 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 8. Re: DVD results
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

YO

Do not get frustrated. That is easier to write than actually do some times.

When you are in Premiere Elements putting in your own titles (captions), you move the Timeline Indicator (red stem with blue head) to the spot on the Timeline where you want the title to start, then Text Menu/New Text/Default Text to open the Titler and create the title. Close the Titler. Then move the Timeline Indicator to the next spot where you want a title and so on. You are going to be creating separate title files for each image.

Once the titles are on the Timeline, you can change their duration and/or add Fade In and Out....see my screenshot 3 in post 6.

If you need for me to go into more how to details, please let me know.

But the quick answer to your question

When I play it to see how it looks the

text put into each slide carries over to the next slide?  How do I prevent

that from happening?

would be, with the Titler closed, use the mouse cursor to alter the position and duration of the title in relation to the photo below or Time Stretch to alter the duration of a title.

ATR

• 9. Re: DVD results
                          yvonneo63845245 Level 1

I used version 11 for a long time without all these problems.  So much has

changed.

How do I select all images and tell it to size them so they all come out as

seen on the monitor when then viewing on TV.  For instance the vertical

images are cut off in half so only the bottom of the photo is seen?

YO

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 2:00 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 10. Re: DVD results
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

YO

The Elements Organizer 13/13.1 Slideshow feature is markedly different and has less control over it than does the Elements Organizer Slideshow feature of versions earlier than 13/13.1.

If I take 1280 x 780 or 780 x 1280 photos into the Elements Organizer Slideshow Builder and use the Classic Dark theme, I am not getting any portrait oriented photos being cut in half.

If I take the Elements Organizer 13/13.1 Slideshow Builder 720p slideshow from that into Premiere Elements 720p project, I am not getting any portrait oriented photos being cut in half. But, there is panning and zooming going on over which I have no control. Example, if one of the 720p photos uses a zoom in, parts of the photo will be lost. But, I am not seeing any extreme chopping in half.

So you present an interesting issue.

a. What are the pixel dimensions of the photos that you are taking into the Elements Organizer 13/13.1 Slideshow Builder to create the 720p version of the slideshow which will subsequently be imported into Premiere Elements? Do you see any problem with the portrait oriented photos before the 720p is produced (while previewing what your have created)?

b. When do you first see this problem (1/2 of photo lost)...after import into Premiere Elements?

Let us determine what needs to be done based on the details of the above.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: DVD results
                              yvonneo63845245 Level 1

I have downloaded and installed 13.1 version.  Thank you for informing me

of the update.

Pixel width is 4608, height is 3456.

When I bring the slide into the Slide builder in Album the slide appears OK

but when I play the slides even on the computer monitor when still

in creating, it is cut off.

YO

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 3:21 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 12. Re: DVD results
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Vita

I took 4608 x 3456 and 3456 x 4608 photos into the Slideshow Builder (Class Dark theme), saw no irregularities.

Then I exported the slideshow to 720p AVCHD.mp4.

When I brought that 720p slideshow into Premiere Elements 720p project

3456 x 4608

VitaWed1.JPG

4608 x 3456

VitaWed2.JPG

4608 x 3456 is 4:3 frame aspect ratio and you are taking your slideshow into a 720p 1280 x 720 16:9 movie.

You could consider cropping resizing your photo to 4608 x 3456 (landscape) or 3456 x 4608 (portrait) to 1280 x 720 (landscape) or 720 x 1280 (portrait).

Depending on how many photos you have at the current size, the crop resizing may influence the workflow positively. Let us see.

Do you see these problems if you start a new project on the Elements Organizer side of things?

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: DVD results
                                  yvonneo63845245 Level 1

OK, this is what I have decided to do.  I am going to resize all the

slides.  Is there an easy way to do all of them at one time or do I have to

do each individually?

I have done a few and this works so nothing is cut off.

YO

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 10:55 AM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 14. Re: DVD results
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

YO

Are you doing a crop resize using the Photoshop Elements Editor crop tool or something else.

What did you use to get

I have done a few and this works so nothing is cut off.

and what sizing did you set for - 1280 x 720 or something else?

Your originals appear to be 4:3 whereas the slideshow is destined for 1280 x 720 16:9. So, we want to make sure that there is no distortion if we just resize from

4608 x 3456 (landscape) 4:3 to 1280 x 720 (landscape) 16:9. We can do that with Photoshop Elements Editor File Menu/Process Multiple Files. But, if distortion, then we need to crop resize to 1280 x 720 16:9 - can use the Photoshop Elements Editor Crop Tool, but that is a one by one operation.

Please let me know what you did to gain success with your mini test run, and then we can optimize that route.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: DVD results
                                      yvonneo63845245 Level 1

I went to adobe photoshop elements 13.1 photo editor, opened several

pictures, then to Image, resize, image size and changed the pixel

dimensions width and height.

But I had to do each individually.

YO

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 2:39 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 16. Re: DVD results
                                        yvonneo63845245 Level 1

Sorry, Yes set to 720/960

• 17. Re: DVD results
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

YO

I am not understanding why that is working for you but...

If this is the working results of individual resizing from 3454 x 4608 to 720 x 960, then in Photoshop Elements Editor File Menu/Process Multiple Files

Multiple Files.JPG

Details...create 2 new folders on your desktop Originals and Resized.

In the Process Multiple Files dialog,

Source: browse to and select Originals Folder.

Destination: browse to and select Resized Folder.

When you get to Image Size/Resize Images/ remove the check mark next to Constrain Proportions and type in the wanted new Width and Height.

Resolution in dpi is meaningless. Just leave the Resolution as is. Otherwise use the settings as a model.

The above is for the portrait oriented photos. Do a separate Process Multiple Files for the widescreen photos. But, in that case, Width = 960 and Height = 720...involve new folders.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 18. Re: DVD results
                                            yvonneo63845245 Level 1

I have changed all the photos in one of my files.  But now my program will

not open the slide show program?  What is the deal with that?

YO

• 19. Re: DVD results
                                              yvonneo63845245 Level 1

I have changed all the photos in one of my files.  But now my program will

not open the slide show program?  What is the deal with that?

YO

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 3:20 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 20. Re: DVD results
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

YO

What will not open

a. Elements Organizer 13/13.1/Create/and Slideshow when you click on that?

or

b. The Slideshow Project that you created in the Slideshow Builder and saved to the Elements Organizer 13/13.1 as a Slideshow Project thumbnail?

Just in case note...you can save your export of the slideshow (720p or 1080p AVCHD.mp4) to the Elements Organizer workspace as well as the slideshow as a Slideshow Project thumbnail. Be sure that you are clicking the Slideshow Project one. That is the only one of the two the is editable and will open to the Slideshow builder for additional edits.

Do you have the same problems if you start a new slideshow and import your resized photos into it?

ATR

• 21. Re: DVD results
                                                  yvonneo63845245 Level 1

I open Elements organizer, click on several slides, Create, slideshow.  the

slideshow- choose a theme opens, I click on Album, next and it takes me

back to Organizer but never opens the slideshow program.

YO

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 1:59 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 22. Re: DVD results
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

YO

Let us try the short way first to delete the Elements Organizer settings file. If that does not work, we will go directly to it, the psa.prf file, and delete it.

Open Premiere Elements to the Expert workspace.

As you hold down on the Ctrl+Shift+Alt, with the mouse cursor, click and hold that click on the Organizer Tab at the bottom left of the Expert workspace for about 35 seconds - until you see a pop up asking your permission to delete that settings file. Click Yes to that request. Do not release the Ctrl+Shift+Alt until after you have clicked Yes to the message.

Then try the Elements Organizer/Create/Slideshow again.

Thanks.

ATR

• 23. Re: DVD results
                                                      yvonneo63845245 Level 1

OK, I did that and a pop-up screen comes up (catalog manger) Am I to do

anything with that?

YO

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 2:30 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 24. Re: DVD results
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

YO

You should have gotten

eosettings.JPG

So, let us try the longer route

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Organizer

and in the Organizer Folder should be the psa.prf file that you delete or disable by renaming it to psa.prfOLD.

In order to see the whole path that I gave above, make sure that you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled.

Thanks.

ATR

• 25. Re: DVD results
                                                          yvonneo63845245 Level 1

I did that and it still will not work

YO

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 2:52 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 26. Re: DVD results
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

YO

Open to the Elements Organizer 13/13.1.

Go to File Menu/Manage Catalogs/Catalog Manager

Select/Highlight the current catalog.

Click on Repair.

Click on Optimize.

Close out of there and try Create/Slideshow again.

If that does not work, then we will create a new catalog.

Details to come on that.

Thanks.

ATR

• 27. Re: DVD results
                                                              yvonneo63845245 Level 1

Is that Adobe Premiere or photoshop elements?

YO

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 3:10 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 28. Re: DVD results
                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

YO

Premiere Elements 13 and Photoshop Elements 13 are standalone programs, each coming with an Elements Organizer 13.

When both programs are on the same computer, they share the same Elements Organizer 13. So, it really should not matter if you open the Elements Organizer 13 from either side.

Also, I was just about to write...did you get in any computer Restarts, just in case?

ATR

• 29. Re: DVD results
                                                                  yvonneo63845245 Level 1

I thought that but wanted to make sure.

OK, that is all done and is not working.

YO

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 3:23 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 30. Re: DVD results
                                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

YO

What happens if you go the path

Elements Organizer

Create

Slideshow

and this time click on a theme other than Albums....what about the Classic Black one?

Also

Elements Organizer workspace with MEDIA header selected at top

Edit Menu

Preferences

Files

and go to the section "Media Cache" and click on Clear Cache.

Thanks.

ATR

• 31. Re: DVD results
                                                                      yvonneo63845245 Level 1

I checked all of the themes and non worked.

I did the next "clear cache.... nothing!

yo

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 3:52 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 32. Re: DVD results
                                                                        yvonneo63845245 Level 1

I rebooted my computer to see if that would make the program work and that

didn't do it either.

Should I uninstall the program and reinstall it?

YO

• 33. Re: DVD results
                                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

YO

I am not sure what happened to the Slideshow feature, but the uninstall/reinstall probably is the best time saver at this point.

I do not recall what computer operating system you are working with...for now I will assume Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 64 bit

1. Uninstall the usual Control Panel way

2. Do a free ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaner parts)   CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

3. Reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled.

Do not download and reinstall the 13.1 Update until you are sure that 13 is working correctly.

You should not lose any projects with the above. If you have any user customized presets they are in danger, so, if possible, save them before the uninstall, and reinstall them later. Under no circumstances - move, delete, or rename any files and folders that went into one of your projects after those projects were saved closed.

Best wishes for success on this.

ATR

• 34. Re: DVD results
                                                                            yvonneo63845245 Level 1

I want you to know I have just finished reinstalling the programs.  They

are working fine at the moment.  The slide show came up without any

problems at all.

Thank you so much for all your help!!!!

YO

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 4:45 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 35. Re: DVD results
                                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

YO

Great news. Thanks for staying with the troubleshooting. Appreciated.

Looking forward to your results and project finished successfully message when your schedule permits.

Best wishes

ATR

• 36. Re: DVD results
                                                                                yvonneo63845245 Level 1

Hello, it is me again.  Two questions.

!. is it best render my slide show before burning it to a DVD?  If so how

do I do that?

2. I would like to use my own music, which I could do in version 11.  Can I

still use music I have?  If so how do I do that?

YO

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 3:48 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 37. Re: DVD results
                                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

YO

Hello. Hope all is going well.

1. There are two types of rendering in Premiere Elements

a. Timeline Rendering. When you do this, you are not fixing anything. All you are doing is getting the best possible preview of what you have before you go to burn to disc. You do not have to do that type of rendering, but it is your window of opportunity to catch a problem sooner than later. It is particularly useful in determining how titles, effects, and transitions are going to turn out. You can do this Timeline rendering - by hitting the Enter key, by hitting the Render button above the Timeline, or going to Timeline Menu/Render Work Area.

b. Export. Sometimes referred to as rendering in the export sense of the word.

2. You can add your own music to the project via the project's Add Media/Files and Folders. If the music is from iTunes, typically you need to take that into iTunes or Audacity to convert the music to WAV version before you import it into the Premiere Elements project.

iTunes: How to convert a song to a different file format - Apple Support

or

Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

If you need any help using either of those programs, please let me know. I have used both before.

The audio pcm.WAV seems supported; whereas, ADpcm.WAV often is not.

ATR