6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2015 9:48 PM by morrisf13448044

Two questions: 1. How do I get Adobe Premiere Elements to import an avi file? 2. I treid to save my video as an mpeg file but ut savec as an MT2 file. What is this and will there be probelms opening this file when I insert it intpo Powerpoint and show it

morrisf13448044

Two questions: 1. How do I get Adobe Premiere Elements to import an avi file? 2. I treid to save my video as an mpeg file but ut savec as an MT2 file. What is this and will there be probelms opening this file when I insert it intpo Powerpoint and show it on a someone else's compauter, eg at a conference?

• 1. Re: Two questions: 1. How do I get Adobe Premiere Elements to import an avi file? 2. I treid to save my video as an mpeg file but ut savec as an MT2 file. What is this and will there be probelms opening this file when I insert it intpo Powerpoint and show
          A.T. Romano Level 7

morrisf

What version of Premiere Elements and what computer operating system is involved?

What type of .avi file do you want to import? AVI is just a file extension which represents a wrapper format that wraps the video and audio components of the file. There can be different video and audio compressions under the .avi wrapper. AVCHD or H.264.avi do not import at all. Xvid.avi is not recommended for Premiere Elements. MotionJPEG.avi can be problematic but there are ways to overcome that.

When you use /MPEG/ for your export choice....certain of the choices will give MPEG2.m2t files.  Other choices will give you MPEG2.mpeg files. I have Microsoft PowerPoint 2010, and both the .m2t and .mpg files that I have from Premiere Elements insert into a PowerPoint slide. Generalizing, the Premiere Elements MPEG presets whose names start with MPEG2 will yield the .m2t files, the others will produce MPEG2.mpeg files.

Just in case message...you can customize the MPEG presets under the Advanced Button/Video Tab, Audio Tab, or Multiplexer Tab of the select MPEG preset.

What version of Microsoft PowerPoint do you have?

Please review and consider. Any questions or need clarification on any of the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Two questions: 1. How do I get Adobe Premiere Elements to import an avi file? 2. I treid to save my video as an mpeg file but ut savec as an MT2 file. What is this and will there be probelms opening this file when I insert it intpo Powerpoint and show
            morrisf13448044 Level 1

Thanks ATR. I am running Premiere Elements 13 and Windows 7 Professional.

I am not sure what type of avi file I have but I worked around it by converting the avi file to an mp4 file using Windows Movie Maker and this allowed the file to be successfully imported in Premiere Elements. Is the worked around OK?

I also converted the M2T file created in Premiere Elements to an mp4 file using Windows Movie Maker. However, how can I change the presets to save my video as an mpeg file?

My main use of the videos is for lectures given at conferences. At these conferences, the organizers want all presentations loaded onto a single Windows computer provided by the conference. These computers are generally set up to run mpg and wmv files but I am concerned about the M2T files. Can any computer that is able to run an mpg file also run an M2T file?

Other questions that have come up as I am learning to use Premiere Elements:

1. What is the difference between saving file as MPEG, AVCHD, or XAVC-S?

2. There are different resolutions for saving files, eg MPEG2 1440 x 1080i 25 vs MPEG2 1440 x 1080i 30. How do I know which to choose?

Thanks,

Morris

• 3. Re: Two questions: 1. How do I get Adobe Premiere Elements to import an avi file? 2. I treid to save my video as an mpeg file but ut savec as an MT2 file. What is this and will there be probelms opening this file when I insert it intpo Powerpoint and show
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Morris

Thanks for the follow up.

1. What is the difference between saving file as MPEG, AVCHD, or XAVC-S?

MPEG2, AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264), and XAVC-S represent different video compression in the file.

MPEG-2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

H.264/MPEG-4 AVC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

XAVC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. There are different resolutions for saving files, eg MPEG2 1440 x 1080i 25 vs MPEG2 1440 x 1080i 30. How do I know which to choose?

If you are referring to import, then you (manually) or the project (automatically) set the project preset (project settings) to match the properties of your source media. If the source is 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9, then you use a project preset described for that. If you are referring to export and have to choose between 1920 x 1080 16:9 or 1440 x 1080 HD Anamorphic 16:9 for the export from a 1920 x 1080 or 1440 x 1080 project, then select 1920 x 1080 16:9 export setting. Both will give the display as 1920 x 1080, but the 1440 x 1080 HD Anamorphic 16:9 depends on a 16:9 flag to stretch the 1440 x 1080 to 1920 x 1080 for display after encoding. In doing this, you bypass problems related to the player having problems recognizing a 16:9 flag. Also, if you have a 16:9 workflow, stay with a 16:9 export.

I also converted the M2T file created in Premiere Elements to an mp4 file using Windows Movie Maker. However, how can I change the presets to save my video as an mpeg file?

I am not seeing the need for you to create MPEG2.M2T files in Premiere Elements, import them in Movie Maker to get a .mp4 version, and then want to take that .mp4 version into Premiere Elements to export it as MPEG2.mpg. What is the source file before the M2T?

I am not sure what type of avi file I have but I worked around it by converting the avi file to an mp4 file using Windows Movie Maker and this allowed the file to be successfully imported in Premiere Elements. Is the worked around OK?

Unless a file will not import, then I would not look to conversion. If you have AVCHD or H.264.avi, you have no choice but to convert it to something else. Besides compression and file extension (wrapper format) compatibility, there is the issue of the variable frame rate that some devices (cell phones, iPad, etc) use to record video audio files. Premiere Elements has problems with them, and you need to take that type of file in a free program named HandBrake to get a H.264.mp4 version with a constant, rather than variable, frame rate. Then you import that H.264.mp4 version in your Premiere Elements project.

Please review the above. If questions or need clarifications, please ask. Let me know where I need to supply supplemental information.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Two questions: 1. How do I get Adobe Premiere Elements to import an avi file? 2. I treid to save my video as an mpeg file but ut savec as an MT2 file. What is this and will there be probelms opening this file when I insert it intpo Powerpoint and show
                morrisf13448044 Level 1

Exporting the video to mpeg format was quick whereas exporting to AVCHD to a very long time. Thus it seems that exporting to mpeg is best. However, when I do this, I get a M2T file. How can I get an mpeg file?

For the resolution of the exported file, please note that my video needs to be able to run on computers other than mine. What is the best resolution to chose if this is my goal?

The origin of the M2T file was Premiere Elements. This was the output format when I exported the file as an mpeg. I converted the M2T file in Windows Movie Maker because I was concerned that other computers won't be able to run the M2T file.

You mentioned using Handbrake to convert avi files. Using Windows Movie Maker seems to work. Is there any problem with using Windows Movie Maker for this purpose?

ATR, are you from Adobe technical support?

Thanks again,

Morris

• 5. Re: Two questions: 1. How do I get Adobe Premiere Elements to import an avi file? 2. I treid to save my video as an mpeg file but ut savec as an MT2 file. What is this and will there be probelms opening this file when I insert it intpo Powerpoint and show
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Morris

Thanks for the follow up.

I am not affiliated with Adobe in any way. Just a user of the programs with an overactive troubleshooting gene.

I think that we need to start with a description of what is being recorded by your camera and then discuss the best import, editing, and export opportunities for that.

If you have a camera that shots 1080p (progressive frame rate), that will probably cut the problems that might come along the line with 1080i (interlaced frame rate). If your source files for your Premiere Elements Timeline are coming from a camera, what are its video specifications for its highest quality recording by that camera? And, are you using them?

Jumping ahead to export and specifically Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG, if you use the presets that start with MPEG2 in the name of the preset, you will get the .m2t file. Whether .mpeg or .m2t export choice, you can accept the default settings or customize the preset selected under its Advanced Button/Video Tab, Audio Tab, Multiplexer Tab. You may be forced into customization if the Adobe default are not appropriate for your project.

Both .m2t and .mpeg choices use MPEG2 video compression.

Note:

Video that uses MPEG2 compression has problems at playback in Windows 8 and 8.1 (Microsoft issue). Fix is typically using VLC player instead of Windows Media Player for playback of the MPEG2.mpeg.

Right now consider focusing on details of what your camera is recording, and then edit and export and all should should fall into place.

By details, I am referring to video audio properties such as

Video compression

Audio compression

Frame size

Frame rate (interlaced or progressive)

File extension

Pixel Aspect Ratio

Please consider. In the morning morning, we will put the details together into a workflow to consider.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Two questions: 1. How do I get Adobe Premiere Elements to import an avi file? 2. I treid to save my video as an mpeg file but ut savec as an MT2 file. What is this and will there be probelms opening this file when I insert it intpo Powerpoint and show
                    morrisf13448044 Level 1

Thanks ATR. I think we are making this too complicated. I edit videos for teaching purposes.These videos come from many sources including cell phones, video cameras and even you tube. Basically there is no consistency in the filming and often I don't even know specs of the the source. All I need is for the final edited video to maintain the quality of the original source and to be in a widely used format that will play on any standard laptop hooked up to an LCD projector. Thus I need to convert the original video to a format that can be read by Premiere Elements, eg mp4 (which I can get using Windows Movie Maker) and that is exported in mpeg format. Sorry if I was not clear on my needs.

I probably could use a more basic program than Premiere Elements for my needs but Premiere Elements ahs a few bells and whistles that I would like to take advantage of. However, before accessing these, I need to learn how accomplish the basics as above in this last post. Can you advise?

Thanks.