11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2015 10:21 PM by Geoff the kiwi

CATALOGUE

Francesco Mazzetta

Hi . I have creative cloud and I have a Question about Lightroom Catalogue. I Have 2 catalogue one named "Lightroom 5 catalogue.lrcat" and one named "Lightroom catalogue.lrcat". As far as I know I have always used the first one ...I have no idea what is the second one is, I have never created it. if I try to open it the message is "cannot open because lightroom version is older than catalogue". someone can help me?

• 1. Re: CATALOGUE
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It could be a catalog from an earlier version. Maybe when you started LR5 you created a new catalog and never upgraded the previous catalog. As long as LR5 is working OK and you can see all of your photos, you can ignore the earlier catalog.

• 2. Re: CATALOGUE
            Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi Francesco,

the New catalogue "Lightroom Catalogue" is the default catalogue made by Lightroom CC.

You can simply Double click "Lightroom 5 Catalogue".in File>>Open Catalogue in Lightroom CC

It Will ask you to upgrade the catalogue.

Select yes

(Note :-Upgrading will Create a new catalogue "Lightroom Catalogue 2")

Hope this helps

Akash

• 3. Re: CATALOGUE
              Francesco Mazzetta Level 1

Dear Akash

I understood my mistake.....basically I have already dowloaded Lightroom CC but I was still using Lightroom 5....

Now I have opened CC and I have followed your instruction. But now I have 3 catalogues...can I cancel all the old catalogues and related files. Can you help me to understand which one I can cancel?

Thanks

Francesco

• 4. Re: CATALOGUE
                Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Please list the catalogs and names with a screen shot from the folder....

It is quite simple but does require a methodical approach so as not to lose data...

• 5. Re: CATALOGUE

Dear Geoff

Here you can find the screen shot. From my understanding at the beginning I just Had "lightroom 5 catalogue" then once I installed CC ..the "lightroom catalogue" has been automatically created and then today I have upgrade the "Lightroom 5 catalogue" into the "lightroom catalogue-2"

Schermata 2015-08-10 alle 23.43.31.png

• 6. Re: CATALOGUE
                    Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi,

You don't have to worry about your data. All your catalogs are there.

If you do not use Lightroom 5 any more simply delete the catalog other than lightroom5.lrcat.

• 7. Re: CATALOGUE

Akash Sharma wrote:

Hi,

You don't have to worry about your data. All your catalogs are there.

If you do not use Lightroom 5 any more simply delete the catalog other than lightroom5.lrcat.

Akash, I beg to differ with your assumption which could lead to immediate and permanent loss of data.

Francesco, here is what I would do....

1. open the Lightroom catalog-2 by double clicking it, then back it up (look in catalog settings to do this when closing next.
                      2. Open catalog-2 again and under the File Menu choose import from another catalog and import from Lightroom Catalog.... when this is done delete the Lightroom Catalog, Lightroom Catalog Previews and Lightroom Catalog Smart Previews (these you should have for the Catalog-2 from the import from catalog action)
                      3. Then do the import again from the Lighroom 5 Catalog then delete the 5 catalog
                      4. You should end up with Lightroom Catalog-2, Lightroom Catalog-2 Previews.lrdata and Lightroom Catalog-2 Smart Previews.lrdata
                      5. You can the rename the above files if you wish as long as the names match such as: Francescos catalog, Francescos catalog Previews.lrdata, Francescos catalog Smart Previews.lrdata.....

Just do it slowly and steadily and you will be fine.....

I am suggesting the above as you have had all the catalogs open recently...

• 8. Re: CATALOGUE

Dear Geoff

I have done the suggested procedure . I have 2 small problem

1) During the Importation i got several duplicate. in my lightroom library Now  hundreds of picture have 2 or 3 copies. How Can I get rid of them? I think the original picture is still 1 but i have more preview in the catalogue. right?

2) I do not have Catalogue-2 Smart preview". I think this could be normal ....I never use it during the importing process.

Thanks a lot for our support

• 9. Re: CATALOGUE

I tried to delete one...lightroom call them "virtual Copy". Is there a way to cancel all of them in 1 action ...or I should cancel one by one. Why my action created some virtual copy? I do not understand why some picture got the virtual copi and other not

• 10. Re: CATALOGUE

Dear Geoff

Could you please give me your kind feedback?

Thanks

Francesco

• 11. Re: CATALOGUE

Hello and sorry for not responding, currently I am in Uganda, Africa and internet is not always there.

The virtual copies will have been made when you imported, there is an option to create virtual copies if there are metadata differences between catalogs. I could have pointed this out, sorry. However you need to read all the dialogs when operating Lightroom and make sure you understand them before taking action...

Now to remove them, this may not be so hard.

You can filter by Virtual Copy (attribute) and then select the ones you do not want and delete them. https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/finding-photos-catalog.html

I hope that helps