6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2015 7:27 AM by Akash Sharma

3 questions on lightroom mobile

alf92400

Hello everyone,

I am new on lightroom mobile and I Have 3 questions.

- When I work on a ipad, and import into lightroom mobile pictures from the camera roll. After the import, where are stored the original files of the pictures (still on the camera roll, or in the CC cloud, or ?)

- when I go back to my mac, and lightroom for desktop synchronises the files. It downloads  them in a lightroom catalogue. Is there a way to change this default catalogue, and put it somewhere else ? Is there a way to rename the file (it is an awful name with numbers, and letters...)

- can we store (even temporarily) pictures into the CC cloud ?

Thanks everyone for your help.

ALF

• 1. Re: 3 questions on lightroom mobile
          john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

"where are stored the original files of the pictures (still on the camera roll, or in the CC cloud,"

The original files remain in the camera roll, and they are copied up to the CC cloud. So at this point you have 2 copies. Then the CC copies come down to your computer and are stored on your system drive - you see this in the Folders panel. At this point I delete the originals in the iOS Camera Roll - I don't want lots of alternative copies of my originals and treat the one in Lr as being the real original.

"when I go back to my mac, and lightroom for desktop synchronises the files. It downloads  them in a lightroom catalogue. Is there a way to change this default catalogue, and put it somewhere else ? Is there a way to rename the file (it is an awful name with numbers, and letters...)"

Mobile only works with one catalogue. You can choose a different one, but still only one catalogue is synced. They are always sent to a default folder which you can't change, but you can freely change the name of these photos in Lr or move them to other folders.

"Can we store (even temporarily) pictures into the CC cloud?"

CC comes with 2Gb (Photography Plan) or 20 Gb (full CC) of disc space which you can use like any other folder. From the CC app, you should be able to see this disc space in Finder or on the web.

John

• 2. Re: 3 questions on lightroom mobile
            Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi,

Answer to your Quesstion as I Understand

1>While working with Lightroom Mobile on Ipad your Pictures,You work with Collections(Creates Smart Previews) so Pictures are stored virtually and can be accessed on Your Computer under the Collections Panel.Your Pictures from Camera Roll remain Intact.

Adobe Lightroom for mobile FAQ

2>>Rename Catalog??try new catalog and import old

You can also create a new catalog and Import all your Pictures from Default Catalog.

Create a new catalog with any name you wish from File>>New catalog

Go to File>>"Import from Another Catalog" and locate the Default catalog from Pictures>>Lightroom>>Lightroom Catalog.Lrcat"

You can still  rename the Default Catalog.To do so Open Lightroom>>Catalog Settings>>General>>Show

Close Lightroom

Now Rename the file" LighroomCatalog.Lrcat" to "YourDesiredName.Lrcat" and  Folder Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata to "YourDesiredName.Previews.lrdata"

Remember Sync only works with 1 catalog but that can be changed

3>>Save files/images

Just Drag and Drop the Pictures you want to Creative Cloud Files Folder in your Favorites.Can also be accessed from Creative Cloud App.(Gear icon from top right >>"Creative Cloud Files").There is a space that is Provided 2 or 20 GB for Creative Cloud.

Hope this answers all your Questions

Thanks

Akash

• 3. Re: 3 questions on lightroom mobile
              alf92400 Level 1

Thanks a lot John. seems a little clearer.

Though I have complementary questions.

- when you say " you see this in the folders panel" -> do you mean in LR ?

- "They are always sent to a default folder which you can't change, but you can freely change the name of these photos in Lr or move them to other folder" : how can you change the default folder for synchronisation with LR mobile I changed it for "normal import", it works, but it does not seem to apply to the sync with LR mobile.

-> moreover how can I move the picture files, and the LRcat attached, without loosing the modifications I made...

Sorry probably dumm questions... but seems that I don't understand well the consequences of each of my move !

best regards,

Anne-Laure

• 4. Re: 3 questions on lightroom mobile
                alf92400 Level 1

Hello Akash,

Thanks for taking the time to asnwer.

in the step 2 of your explanations, if I import into another catalogue, can I delete them from the "mobile" catalogue, when my work is finished on it ?

In this same step 2, if I import in another catalogue, I will probably loose the work I did on the initial mobile catalog, can I "merge" the 2 catalogues ?

Sorry... probably not easy to understand...

I do my best, between my comprehension of the software, and my non-native english !

Best regards,

• 5. Re: 3 questions on lightroom mobile
                  john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

alf92400 wrote:

- when you say " you see this in the folders panel" -> do you mean in LR ? YES

- "They are always sent to a default folder which you can't change, but you can freely change the name of these photos in Lr or move them to other folder" : how can you change the default folder for synchronisation with LR mobile I changed it for "normal import", it works, but it does not seem to apply to the sync with LR mobile.

-> moreover how can I move the picture files, and the LRcat attached, without loosing the modifications I made...

Not sure what is puzzling you here, Anne-Laure, but when the pictures/video first appear in LrDesktop, they will be synced to a default folder. Unlike when you normally import photos into LrDesktop, Sync will always put them in that special folder, with funny names, and you cannot change that. However, once they have appeared there, you can drag and drop the pictures/video into other folders in LrDesktop, or rename them, and this is just like you can drag other photos. Providing you do this moving or renaming in LrDesktop, any adjustments will stay with the images.

John

• 6. Re: 3 questions on lightroom mobile
                    Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi,

Thanks for your Observations.

In my Answer I said that you can Import from the default catalog to a new catalog.The work you have done on your Mobile is always in sync with the current Syncing catalog(In your case it is the Lightroom Catalog.Lrcat).So if you create a new catalog and Import your data from Default LightroomCatalog.Lrcat, nothing on your mobile will be changed.It will keap syncing with Default Lightroom catalaog.Lrcat.

Now if you want to start your sync with New catalog you can simply click Start from Lightroom Desktop

Lr Start lr moboile.jpg

It will then ask you to start the Sync with your new catalog select  "Switch to Syncing this catalog" and Collections made on your Mobile will still show under your Collections on desktop.You just need to resync them in Mobile again.

Capturesd.PNG

Hope this Clears the Fog a bit.

You may refer to links below to know How Lr Mobile Works exactly.

http://tv.adobe.com/videos/lightroom-mobile/

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/how-to/lightroom-mobile.html

Thanks Again

Akash