• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I install PS Fonts on Windows 7 without ATM?

New Here ,
Aug 10, 2015 Aug 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awhile back I upgraded to Windows 7 and lost some programs along the way, one of them being Adobe Type Manager.

So I have several ATM PS Fonts, some I need to use, but can figure out to install or use them... any suggestions?

I do have access to Adobe Illustrator CC - could I use the needed fonts via that program?

Thanks

<Removed by moderator>

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

By “PS Fonts” we assume you mean “Type 1 fonts.” For the record, TrueType fonts are every bit as much PostScript fonts as Type 1 fonts are.

But to your specific question ...

Don't even think about trying to install the old Adobe Type Manager software on anything beyond Windows XP 32-bit. Not only is it incompatible with newer versions of Windows, even attempting to install it may corrupt your Windows installation!

Every Type 1 font should have both a .pfb and a .pfm file. The file names only differ

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving the discussion to Adobe Type

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

By “PS Fonts” we assume you mean “Type 1 fonts.” For the record, TrueType fonts are every bit as much PostScript fonts as Type 1 fonts are.

But to your specific question ...

Don't even think about trying to install the old Adobe Type Manager software on anything beyond Windows XP 32-bit. Not only is it incompatible with newer versions of Windows, even attempting to install it may corrupt your Windows installation!

Every Type 1 font should have both a .pfb and a .pfm file. The file names only differ in terms of the .pfb and .pfm suffix. Put those fonts in a directory other than C:\Windows\fonts. Then open the directory and right click on the .pfm files. Select Install. That should make those fonts available in the Fonts Control Panel.

Note that many newer application versions including all the Microsoft Office 2013 / Office 365 components, Internet Explorer (beginning with IE9),  and FileMaker Pro no longer support Type 1 fonts at all, even if they are properly installed on your system.

At this point you should seriously consider migrating from Type 1 fonts to the equivalent OpenType CFF fonts which are supported by this software.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines