9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2015 1:47 AM by paolom58794471

Problems Importing Photos into the Catalog

paolom58794471

Computer MAC OS X 10.10.4

Lighroom v 6.1.1

I try to import into the catalog one photo folder: File/Import Phot and Video

I select the folder including about 400 JPG photo. Average size 1,5 Mb, none above 3Mb.

As soon as I select the folder, I should see the icon preview of the files in the library, but I do not see nothing.

If I proceed anyway selecting Import, Lr loops and I must force its closure.

This behaviour is strange because I am able to regularly import other folders, even larger both in terms of number of elements and in terms of size/image.

If I look at the folder, I can see regularly the photo with any other program/application.

This happens with a small number of folders, but more than one.

How could I solve it?

Thanks

Paolo

• 1. Re: Problems Importing Photos into the Catalog
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Which options at the top of the import screen have you selected: copy, dng, add ...

What are your primary and secondary destination options in the right pane?

• 2. Re: Problems Importing Photos into the Catalog
            paolom58794471 Level 1

I am using "Add".

On the right pane I have: "Generate standard preview" and "do not import duplicates".

I checked the user privileges on the source files and they are ok (read/write).

All the photo I am trying to import are all already in a folder on the main disk: I am building up the catalog.

• 3. Re: Problems Importing Photos into the Catalog
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

What folder are they in on the main disk?

OS X has a habit of restricting access to certain folders even though it might show as Read & Write. That might be for System but not for your User Name.

• 4. Re: Problems Importing Photos into the Catalog
                paolom58794471 Level 1

The folder is User/Photo/Nikon Images/2011-05-11-2200-00

The parent folder includes other subfolders like this one that can be imported without problems.

I created a new folder directly on desktop and I copied the JPGs there, but it is not working as well

• 5. Re: Problems Importing Photos into the Catalog
                  paolom58794471 Level 1

I copied just one of the JPG from the original folder (I wished to import) to a folder on the desktop.

Same problem: Lr is not able to import that JPG and probably all the JPGs that have something similar (what?)

I checked the info, but it does not appear something "strange"

Any other program on my Mac is able to read it: Lr is the only one that is refusing to open it

So I took the original RAW file (Nikon D70) and I re-converted it to JPG.

And... now Lr likes it!

So there is something in the JPG that is incompatible with Lr

For sure it is NOT the size since Lr reads and import without problems JPGs that are about 8 times larger than this.

At ths point I am a bit disappointed.

This is a software valued over 130 € that is not able to open a file that I can easily open and manage with Google Picasa (free!!!).

You could say that Lr is doing much much more. Maybe true, but if I am not able to open the file, I can do definitely nothing!

• 6. Re: Problems Importing Photos into the Catalog
                    ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

How did you get the files off the memory card? If you are using old software from Nikon, that can cause problems.

• 7. Re: Problems Importing Photos into the Catalog
                      paolom58794471 Level 1

No, the files have been get from the memory card of a Nikon D70 in 2011 in RAW format (.NEF) and converted to JPG with Nikon Capture NX2.

Lr is able to read and import the RAW fIle, but not the one converted in JPG in 2011.

If I repeat the process today, the JPG is fine for Lr. It does mean that the version of Nikon Capture used at that time generated a JPG not compatible with Lr.

But again, it is unacceptable for a software like Lr:  any other software easily read this file.

• 8. Re: Problems Importing Photos into the Catalog
                        Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

paolom58794471 wrote:

No, the files have been get from the memory card of a Nikon D70 in 2011 in RAW format (.NEF) and converted to JPG with Nikon Capture NX2.

Lr is able to read and import the RAW fIle, but not the one converted in JPG in 2011.

If I repeat the process today, the JPG is fine for Lr. It does mean that the version of Nikon Capture used at that time generated a JPG not compatible with Lr.

But again, it is unacceptable for a software like Lr:  any other software easily read this file.

And there lies the problem. Stop using Nikon Capture NX2 and import the RAW NEF files into LR.

• 9. Re: Problems Importing Photos into the Catalog
                          paolom58794471 Level 1

Yes, the RAW are already in Lr.

Fortunately I have still the source RAW in this case.

But the problem is Lr and not Nikon Capture NX2...! Figure out if I got this JPG from a friend: how could I manage it in Lr?!

Again, Lr is the only program on my Mac that is not opening this JPG.