29 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2017 11:59 PM by Test Screen Name

Will PageMaker 7.0 work in Windows 10 Pro?

gregm36586600

Will PageMaker 7.0 first installed in Windows XP (32-bit encryption) but later working successfully in Windows 7 SP1 64-bit work in Windows 10 Pro? I know you don't support PageMaker anymore but Adobe still sells it for about 700 bucks. Please advise if this should work successfully in Windows 10 Pro.

• 1. Re: Will PageMaker 7.0 work in Windows 10 Pro?
          BigJohnD Level 3

PM7 is about 15 years old and even then was only a tweak of PM6.5 from 1995.  A 20 year old application on the latest platform? I don't think so.

If it installs, it'll be unstable at best.

The advice is keep your WinXP PC for use with PM.

• 2. Re: Will PageMaker 7.0 work in Windows 10 Pro?
            Jay Chevako Level 3

Pagemaker may install, but the printer driver will not install, making the program useless.
            Jay

• 3. Re: Will PageMaker 7.0 work in Windows 10 Pro?
              Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

They still sell it, but they also make the system requirements clear: Windows XP is the latest. If you are lucky enough to have it working in Windows 7, don't mess with that!

• 4. Re: Will PageMaker 7.0 work in Windows 10 Pro?
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Sell it? Well, they offer it for sale.

• 5. Re: Will PageMaker 7.0 work in Windows 10 Pro?
                  Sahalu

Yes, it does work with Windows 10. I am running PageMaker 7.0.1 right now on my computer. I haven't put it into all its phases, so there may be some issues that I am yet to encounter. Check this link, Microsoft says it is compatible with Windows 7, 8 and 10 and no further action is required to make it work. Windows 8.1 compatibility for Adobe PageMaker version 7. Again, I am running it now on Windows 10 Professional with no issues so far. PageMaker is still a very capable program and it works.

• 6. Re: Will PageMaker 7.0 work in Windows 10 Pro?
                    Jay Chevako Level 3

Try making a pdf. 
                    Jay

• 7. Re: Will PageMaker 7.0 work in Windows 10 Pro?
                      gregm36586600 Level 1

Thanks to all who replied. I am especially grateful to sahalu, who installed the program and is using it on Windows 10. Please keep us posted as you continue to put PageMaker 7.0.1 through the paces.I believe Jay's reply above is directed at sahulu. If you haven't done so yet, would you please try making a PDF and printing directly from PageMaker? I know there are other programs that can be used to make a PDF PageMaker won't do it in Windows 10.

Another question for sahalu: Was your PageMaker originally installed in Windows XP Pro or Windows 7 Pro? 32-bit or 64-bit encryption? Ours was originally installed in Windows XP Pro, 32 bit. We were able to upgrade to Windows 7 Pro with ability to migrate programs from 32-bit system to to 64-bit Windows 7 Pro.

We had to install a version of Creative Suites because we were no longer able to get Adobe Acrobat to work in system 7. I believe Adobe provided at no charge a CS2 (early version of CS) serial number so that we could download that and still have drivers that worked. We had the option of buying/subscribing to a later version; I think that would have worked, too, but I can't say for certain. @At least this is my recollection from nearly two years ago. That was after Windows 8 was out, but we preferred to have Windows 7 because of all the complaints we heard and read about.

• 8. Re: Will PageMaker 7.0 work in Windows 10 Pro?
                        Sahalu Level 1

Good catch Jay. But - glad to say, with very little or not effort, there ways around it though. While "Export" doesn't work, you can still create flawless PDF files by printing to almost any PDF printer driver. So far I have successfully generated from within PageMaker 4 very large files with graphs and images with excellent results. I have generated PDF files by printing to the following drivers, all of which are already installed or easy to get. 1. Microsoft Print to PDF, 2. Adobe PDF printer, 3. PDFCreator printer, and 4. PDF-XChange 3.0 printer. As stated earlier, I am using Windows 10 Professional.

• 9. Re: Will PageMaker 7.0 work in Windows 10 Pro?
                          Sahalu Level 1

Greg, I have successfully installed and used PageMaker on every system since XP.  I have installed on both 32 & 64 bit versions. Except for Windows 10, I don't remember do any upgrade, I almost always do fresh install and then migrate my data, so I don't remember if I had come across upgrade issues with PageMaker. By the way, I am using 7.0.1.

• 10. Re: Will PageMaker 7.0 work in Windows 10 Pro?
                            Sahalu Level 1

BigJohnD,

It works fine. The only issues is "export to pdf" doesn't work, but that's an easy problem to get around. Just print to almost any PDF printer driver. I am actually amazed at how fast the program is in Windows 10. I run it on a Win10 Pro desktop, with 6 meg ram on an 8 old year Intel Q6600 processor.

• 11. Re: Will PageMaker 7.0 work in Windows 10 Pro?
                              Jay Chevako Level 3

I think my definition of flawless is slightly different from yours. Use 3rd party pdf creators at your own risk. I wouldn't  trust the to  output a cmyk job, let alone anything with spot colors. Pagemaker has always been cranky about it's output mix that with a flaky pdf creator and you are asking for trouble.
                              Jay

• 12. Re: Will PageMaker 7.0 work in Windows 10 Pro?
                                Sahalu Level 1

I am not a professional designer/publisher by any definition of the word, so my needs are not as exacting as in a professional environment. Therefore you may be right, there are probably issues that would surface I wouldn't know about. Having said that, I assume the pdf printer driver used by PageMaker is the Adobe PDF printer driver, which if not already installed on every PC, is free and easily available.

• 13. Re: Will PageMaker 7.0 work in Windows 10 Pro?

I called Pagemaker a lot things. Flawless is not one of them and to call it capable is a stretch.

• 14. Re: Will PageMaker 7.0 work in Windows 10 Pro?

Not free at all.

• 15. Re: Will PageMaker 7.0 work in Windows 10 Pro?

"Adobe PDF printer driver, which if not already installed on every PC, is free and easily available."

Absolutely WRONG! It is not free. It comes with Adobe Acrobat Pro and Adobe Acrobat Standard.

• 16. Re: Will PageMaker 7.0 work in Windows 10 Pro?
                                        Jay Chevako Level 3

Sahalu, for all it's problems and it's age Pagemaker was a professional page layout program, as was stated Adobe is still charging $700 for it. Why on earth would you pay that kind of money if you didn't need a professional tool? And If you could afford Adobe Acobat, why wouldn't you invest in Indesign?  How you got windows 10 to run on "6 meg ram" is another matter, if you are going to give advice, details matter.
                                        Jay

• 17. Re: Will PageMaker 7.0 work in Windows 10 Pro?
                                          BigJohnD Level 3

Sahalu wrote:

It works fine. The only issues is "export to pdf" doesn't work, but that's an easy problem to get around. Just print to almost any PDF printer driver. I am actually amazed at how fast the program is in Windows 10. I run it on a Win10 Pro desktop, with 6 meg ram on an 8 old year Intel Q6600 processor.

Are you sure you're not just making this up?

"If you want to upgrade to Windows 10 on your PC or tablet, here’s what it takes..... RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) .... "

• 18. Re: Will PageMaker 7.0 work in Windows 10 Pro?
                                            Sahalu Level 1

Sorry, I meant 6gig ram, not 6 meg.

• 19. Re: Will PageMaker 7.0 work in Windows 10 Pro?
                                              Sahalu Level 1

Read the question again, it is at the very top of the thread "Will PageMaker 7.0 work in Windows 10 Pro?"

All my responses were simply in response to that question. There is not a single word, talk less of a sentence that even remotely advocated purchasing new copy of PageMaker. So I am not advocating purchase of PageMaker, neither was I addressing the question of whether someone should purchase PageMaker or not, but if it would work in Win 10. I do have it installed on Win 10 and except for the export to pdf issue, which I consider irrelevant for my purposes, it works as well as it has ever done on any install so.

Sorry 6 megs was a typo, I meant 5 gig.

• 20. Re: Will PageMaker 7.0 work in Windows 10 Pro?
                                                Sahalu Level 1

BigJohnD, this is from the machine with PageMaker 7.

Pagemaker1.png

Pagemaker2.png

• 21. Re: Will PageMaker 7.0 work in Windows 10 Pro?
                                                  gregm36586600 Level 1

The reality is some of us have to make do with the software we have for as long as we can, for financial reasons. Surely everyone can understand that. And we have no desire to "rent" software or go to "the cloud" for it for a charge from Adobe or any other company. My wife is very comfortable with the PageMaker 7.0.1 software and doesn't want to be forced to go to something else. Surely there are others in the same boat or similar situations. We once had a small-town newspaper and produced it on PageMaker 7.0.1 and earlier versions, but not anymore. These days, we aren't making a living off what PageMaker produces for us. We are just trying to get by with what we have, whenever we can.

• 22. Re: Will PageMaker 7.0 work in Windows 10 Pro?
                                                    BigJohnD Level 3

I repeat what I said right at the beginning of this thread:

"PM7 is about 15 years old and even then was only a tweak of PM6.5 from 1995.  A 20 year old application on the latest platform? I don't think so.

If it installs, it'll be unstable at best.

The advice is keep your WinXP PC for use with PM."

• 23. Re: Will PageMaker 7.0 work in Windows 10 Pro?

If you don't want to be forced to go to new things, how does Windows 10 get in the door? The fact is that PageMaker was a great tool and still is - if you run it with the systems and software it was designed for. If you want to mix old and new, you are asking for trouble, and there just seems no point in it.

• 24. Re: Will PageMaker 7.0 work in Windows 10 Pro?
                                                        Jay Chevako Level 3

Time for the same old post again. If you can find a reproducible  way to get Pagemaker to Work on windows 10, 8, 7 let us know. We will sing your praises and gladly show people how to get pagemaker working right. But I and many of the others here have been posting to this forum for over 15 years and have yet to see a way to get pagemaker to work reliably on anything newer than XP or OS9. (macs are much simpler as pagemaker won't install on OSX). The last decade this forum is littered with problems from people trying to run pagemaker on newer operating systems.

Jay

• 25. Re: Will PageMaker 7.0 work in Windows 10 Pro?
                                                          Sahalu Level 1

I don't know what some of the people here are talking about. PageMaker 7.0.1 works in Windows 10, period. Go ahead and do a clean install if you are having issues doing upgrade. Just completely uninstall PageMaker, reboot and reinstall. I have PageMaker running on Windows 10 Pro; and other than "export to", everything works for me. I have generated over 10 very large PDF documents and am yet to encounter any issues. Windows 10 Pro has built-in PDF printer driver, use that one until you have reason not to. Just try it for yourself.  Check out this blog, several people have successfully install PageMaker 6.5, talk less of 7.

http://www.blog.danamccall.com/?p=399

• 26. Re: Will PageMaker 7.0 work in Windows 10 Pro?
                                                            Jay Chevako Level 3

Even if this is the case, which I have doubts on, not having the printer driver is still a large issue. Not having the export pdf issue means that you cannot have bookmarks in your pdf, this further limits pagemaker's pdf abilities. Not being able to print to file and distill means you can't use Pagemaker reliably for offset printing. If you are just using pagemaker for home based printing, what are you using as your compose to printer? 

Jay

p.s. You have a typo on your correction to your typo (Sorry 6 megs was a typo, I meant 5 gig.)

• 27. Re: Will PageMaker 7.0 work in Windows 10 Pro?
                                                              jbacher

I have been able to Export and print with Pagemaker 7.0.2 on a Windows 10 64 bit install. I have not encountered any significant issues with using it, other than not being able to export when I tried using it. Here is what I did to be able to print.

I went to: C:\Program Files (x86)\adobe\PageMaker 7.0  and right clicked on Pm70.exe and selected properties at the bottom of the list. I clicked on Change settings for all users. I then set Compatibility for all users to Windows XP (Service Pack 2). I also set it to run as administrator.  Then exited.

I tried all the other compatible settings and they did not work. One of the issues is Windows has been telling programmers to quit saving data in the program directories (Linux and Unix do not permit that). Adobe was still trying to write files in the program directories and Windows now blocks it. For older none compliant programs the compatibility settings do a slight of hand to prevent writing in the program directories. The program never knows it was written somewhere else.

I have Indesign CS3. It would not import the Pagemaker file as in crashed when it tried. Indesign would not deal with the formatting I needed so I went back to Pagemaker.

By the way the Windows pdf printer mostly worked (before the tweak) other than not dealing with page settings correctly, but it did generate a pdf.

My system started as a XP 32 bit then went to Vista, then Windows 7 and now Windows 10. None of the upgrades were clean installs, all were updates. I suspect if you need to reinstall Pagemaker run the installer in the compatibility mode (pure guess on my part - so I am not responsible for any issues it creates for you if you try it).

• 28. Re: Will PageMaker 7.0 work in Windows 10 Pro?
                                                                bhimt15915911

running window 10 in pc. which will be better for this?

• 29. Re: Will PageMaker 7.0 work in Windows 10 Pro?

Bhimt, to run PageMaker recommendation is go back to XP.