8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2015 10:49 AM by A.T. Romano

missing files??

CarbinCopy

I have been editing a wedding video and when I recently opened up my project, it now says two of the files are offline.  When I use the locate button, it now says that the codec is not supported/missing.  I have already been using them, so I don't know why they are no longer there.  I have even tried importing the files back into premiere elements and it now says this type of file is not supported or the required codec is missing.  One file is .m4a and the other is .mov.  Again, I have already opened these up about a week ago and they were working fine.  Please help!

• 1. Re: missing files??
          A.T. Romano Level 7

carbincopy

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

Do you still have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements, and are you running the programs as administrator?

What is the .m4a...music from iTunes? If so, please take the file into iTunes and convert it to the WAV version. Then import that WAV version into Premiere Elements with Premiere Elements' Add or Get Media/Files and Folders.

iTunes: How to convert a song to a different file format - Apple Support

Have you moved or renamed the files and folders involved since you saved closed the project? Are the involved files stored on an external hard drive?

I understand that these were not a problem a week ago. But let us export the now, just in case.

Depending on the results from the above, please consider deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file found in Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10....

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

version number

and in the version number Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. Make sure that you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, or Drives enabled so that you can see the complete path cited.

Let us start here and then we can decide what next.

Any questions or need clarification on the above, please ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: missing files??
            CarbinCopy Level 1

Thank you for the reply!  I am using windows 7- 64 bit with adobe premiere elements version 7.  I realize that it is a bit old, but it had been working up until yesterday. All of the files I have been working with are on the computer hard drive, not the external.  I had unplugged my external hard drive, but I didn't think that this would make any difference.  All of the other files (AVCHD) seem to be working that are stored in the same place.  I will try converting the audio file into WAV.  I am not sure what you mean about deleting the adobe premiere elements prefs file.  How would I do this?  I don't want to mess up the other clips that are working either!  About 90% of my video is working and only about 10% is not.  Thank you!

• 3. Re: missing files??
              A.T. Romano Level 7

carbincopy

Thanks for the reply with important additional details.

Let us see the result of the m4a to WAV version of that music file before moving further. Are you confirming that you have QuickTime (latest version) installed?

The deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file (setting files/preferences) should not affect your project negatively unless you have some user customized presets involved.

If you opened a new project and import only the .m4a file and the .mov file (as is) do you get the same error message?

ATR

• 4. Re: missing files??
                CarbinCopy Level 1

Ok, the conversion to WAV worked for the song!  I am not sure if I have the latest version of quick time.  If I try opening my other MOV file in quick time it says please install apple application support.  (It played in windows media player.)  Should I uninstall my version of quicktime and reinstall the latest?  Or should I follow these instructions?  How to fix "Apple Application Support" error - YouTube

• 5. Re: missing files??
                  CarbinCopy Level 1

I have version 7.77.80.95 for quick time, so it looks like I do have the latest version.

• 6. Re: missing files??
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

carbincopy

If you have the latest QuickTime version and are running the programs as administrator, I would probably try for an uninstall, free ccleaner run through (to get rid of leftovers from incomplete uninstalls/reinstalls from Adobe and non Adobe products), and then reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled. Reinstall from link

Apple - QuickTime - Download

I have not used the troubleshooting described in the link that you found. But there are lots of discussions on this error online. I am not sure at this time if there is a better way or whether your link represents the way to correct this Apple error message. Am checking into that.

ATR

• 7. Re: missing files??
                      CarbinCopy Level 1

Ok, I uninstalled QuickTime and reinstalled it and now everything is working!!!  Thank you so much for your help!

• 8. Re: missing files??
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

CarbinCopy

Really great news. Well done.

Thanks for the follow up. Appreciated.

Best wishes.

ATR