6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2015 8:24 AM by Jao vdL

does lightroom store photos in the cloud?

lorenlockwood Level 1

Hi and thanks to who ever can help me. I am new to this.

I am trying to see if light room will serve as a place to store all my photos. I see it syncs between devices, but does it store photos in the cloud? And when it syncs photos to other devices does it sync full size versions? If so will my devices with less storage get full very quickly with all my photos?

• 1. Re: does lightroom store photos in the cloud?
          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lightroom sends a scaled down lossy dng copy of your raw, tiff, and psd images to the cloud when you sync those. For jpegs, it sends the jpegs itself. It dies not send full versions. The lossy dng versions of your raw images are quite small. It shouldn't fill up your devices with files as I think it supposedly intelligently caches only those that were most recently looked at.

• 2. Re: does lightroom store photos in the cloud?
            Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi,

Lightroom only stores Smart Previews of your Pictures on your Mobile Devices,Smart Previews are smaller versions of your original files, roughly 1.5 or 2 MB in size,.So your Mobile Storage is not consumed as much(Still will need Internal Storage)..

It saves all your pics from Desktop and Mobile in Collections(if synced from mobile) that are stored Locally on your Desktop Catalog and can be synced to your Mobile Devices.

Lightroom FAQ's Adobe Lightroom for mobile FAQ

Thanks

Akash

• 3. Re: does lightroom store photos in the cloud?
              lorenlockwood Level 1

Thanks Jao and Akash, That is great info. So, still being new to this, I am correct in assuming that I can't use CC as a complete storage option for all my photos? And that the CC storage allowance is just for syncing purposes only? Or can you buy more storage and store all my photos in the cloud?

I am trying to work out a good way to work while overseas without relying on hard drives etc. It seems other cloud storage options have issues of there own (some good and some bad) but none link into Adobe so well.

Any ideas?

• 4. Re: does lightroom store photos in the cloud?
                lorenlockwood Level 1

Thanks Jao and Akash, That is great info. Definitely helps me understand.

So, still being new to this, I am correct in assuming that I can't use CC as a complete storage option for all my photos? And that the CC storage allowance is just for syncing purposes only? Or can you buy more storage and store all my photos in the cloud?

I am trying to work out a good way to work while overseas without relying on hard drives etc. It seems other cloud storage options have issues of there own (some good and some bad) but none link into Adobe so well.

Any ideas?

• 5. Re: does lightroom store photos in the cloud?
                  Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi,

Creative Cloud is for storing your Sync data,Product Settings(like preferences,Addons,Libraries in Photoshop and many other Products)

With a 2 GB or 20 GB Space(Photography Plan)Refer File Storage and Quota | CCM .You can keep Pictures in Cloud but not Completely Rely on them as a Main Storage space(Internet might not be available every time).Like you can keep Frequently used Pictures,Files on Creative Cloud Folder temporarily when you are overseas.

Please Note that Lightroom Catalog cannot be stored on cloud.It needs to be Locally stored on computer.

There are many other advantages of Creative Cloud.The links below will make you understand CC better

File sharing in Adobe Creative Cloud | Adobe Inspire Magazine

Top 5 Creative Cloud Tips (and Benefits) from Dave Cross | Creative Cloud blog by Adobe

Hope that Helps

Akash

• 6. Re: does lightroom store photos in the cloud?
                    Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No you really shouldn't use this as backup storage. Adobe doesn't offer a

good way to get rid of hard drives with this. You can use the CC disk

storage directly (i.e. not through Lightroom but through the CC app) but

you'll run out of space pretty quickly. Same thing with dropbox, amazon,

etc. They all work somewhat the same way and there really is not a good

solution yet.

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 9:04 AM, lorenlockwood <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

1 person found this helpful