6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2015 1:50 AM by Ann Bens

VOB Media file problem

DonandSable Level 1

I can play a DVD VOB file using Windows Media Player or using a DVD player, but Premiere Elements 12 does not always import the entire video file ... it gets truncated.

Any help?

• 1. Re: VOB Media file problem
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Moved from Captivate forum to Premiere Elements forum.

• 2. Re: VOB Media file problem
            A.T. Romano Level 7

DonandSable

What version of Premiere Elements and what computer operating system is involved?

How are you getting this VOB into the project....from the hard drive save location for an already "ripped" DVD VOB to Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets and dragged to the Timeline Video 1/Audio 1

or DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc in burner tray and then Add Media/DVD camera or ComputerDrive/Video Importer?

What is the full file name of the this DVD VOB - VTS_01_1.VOB or something else? What is its total duration and how much is missing - even amount of video and audio or other?

What is the frame size of the DVD VOB and frame frame and as many properties that you have for the file?

Any history of its origins?

Let us start here and then decide what next based on the details in your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

And, I would not suggest you go converting these assumed MPEG2.VOB into MPEG2.mpg or something else until we can define the situation further.

• 3. Re: VOB Media file problem
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Directly editing a VOB... or Ripping a VOB to edit using a note from Jim Simon

-http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1322647

• 4. Re: VOB Media file problem
                DonandSable Level 1

Thanks for your reply and questions.

Video is from 8mm movie film my father shot in the 1950's and 1960"s which I had converted to DVD format and burned on DVD disks. The disk contains 18 files that correspond to 18 short film reels.  Reason for using Premiere was to make Windows .wmv files so I could use the video clips in PowerPoint. Bummer is that some of the truncated video is actually footage of my parent's wedding in 1951.

The DVD video clips play perfectly on a standard Samsung Blue-Ray player.  It plays perfectly using MS Media Player using both Windows XP and Windows 7 players. 

The trouble I'm having seems to be with Premiere Elements Version 12 as well as Windows Movie maker.  They seem to truncate the same video files the same amount.  It seems not all files have the truncation problem, either, but several do. 

I have been using the "Get Media" capability of Premiere with the DVD located in either the computer standard DVD drive or and external, brand-new Samsung Blue-Ray player model SE-506CB.  Issue seems to be independent of disk player. I have not tried to copy the files to the computer hard drive but easily can.

As an example, I have a file VTS_07_1.VOB which I know contains 3:19 of video.  However, Elements only picks up the first 26 sec.  Curiously, Window Properties Details for this file info also says the file contains only 26 sec of video.  Other info include frame width 720, frame hieght 480, data rate 6124kbps, total bit rate 6380kbps, frame rate 29 frames per sec, ther is no audio recorded.  File size is 115MB.

Thought about upgrading to Premier Version 13 is that would be helpful.

I tried increasing the media buffer size (from 5 to 10 GB) in Premiere, but that didn't help.

Hope this gives you more information and some ideas about what the problem might be.

Thanks very much for your attention.

• 5. Re: VOB Media file problem
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

DonaldSable

Thanks for the important troubleshooting information.

You wrote:

The DVD video clips play perfectly on a standard Samsung Blue-Ray player.  It plays perfectly using MS Media Player using both Windows XP and Windows 7 players.

Can I assume that in these instances you have put the DVD disc in the device and let the device play the content of the disc? Or, are you actually taking an individual VTS_0X_X.VOB file and putting it on USB Flash Drive and are playing it in these devices? I am almost sure you are just inserting the disc in the player, but I thought I would ask nonetheless.

In what you are doing now, where in the line of these VTS.....VOB files does the problem of file truncation begin

VTS_01_1.VOB

or

VTS_02_2.VOB

or

so on through to your VTS_07_1.VOB?

If you have not done this before, open the DVD disc with the VTS....VOBs, copy the VTS_07_1.VOB to the computer hard drive. Is the file duration 3 minutes and 19 seconds before and after? If so, then import that file from the hard drive into Premiere Elements with Premiere Elements' Add Media/Files and Folders.

What is the duration of the file in Premiere Elements?

Depending on that result, take the VTS_07_1.VOB used above into VLC player (version 2.2.1) and convert it to H.264.mp4. What is the duration of the H.264.mp4 file? If all is staying at 3 minutes and 19 seconds, try to import that into Premiere Elements. Does the duration remain at 3 minutes and 19 seconds?

Also, have you inspected the contents of all the VTS.......VOB files to assure that the content that you seek is not in another of the VTS......VOB files?

After all is said and done, we may weigh the merits of convert compared to a different type of way to get seamlessly merged DVD video files.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: DVD-VIDEO/Seamless VOB Ripping

I do not believe that moving to Premiere Elements 13/13.1 is your answer.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: VOB Media file problem
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you make the dvd with a software program or a DVD recorder?

If its the latter that might be the issue.

To fix this is to use a vob editor before importing into Elements.