7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2015 4:46 AM by BobLevine

Include full res in doc

5thdimension

Using InDesign CS6, how and where do I tell InDesign to include full resolution images in my documen?

thanks  for your help

I'm using a Mac and can't find it in the preferences.

• 1. Re: Include full res in doc
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm guessing you want to turn on a high-resolution display. You do this by choosing View > Display Performance > High Quality Display.

Whether the images are high resolution depends on how they are created. InDesign can't magically turn a low-res image into a high-res image, as you might imagine. So if you have indeed placed high resolution images (File > Place) then turning on the High Resolution Display will show them the best.

• 2. Re: Include full res in doc
            John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

where do I tell InDesign to include full resolution images in my documen?

There's no need. By default, your images are included at output/export at their "effective resolution" (the original resolution factored by whatever scaling you may have applied on the InDesign page). There is no option otherwise.*

*When printing directly from InDesign, there is an option menu in the InDesign Print dialog (at Print > Graphics > Images > Send Data:) from which you can choose All, Optimized Subsampling (the default), Proxy, or None. If you want full resolution images (applies only to printing directly from InDesign), you must go to this menu at print time and choose "All."

• 3. Re: Include full res in doc
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Or if you have a Retina display and really mean why is everything on the screen in ID a little pixelated, it's because CS6 has no support for Retina displays.

• 4. Re: Include full res in doc
                5thdimension Level 1

I work at two locations, and sometimes I don't  have the LINKS to some of the images when I need to print at that location.

I usually try to have them on a USB portable drive, but at times I slip up.

• 5. Re: Include full res in doc
                  5thdimension Level 1

continued

That's why I wish I could include the full resolution without having to use a link to it.

• 6. Re: Include full res in doc
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You can embed the links, but I most strongly urge you not to do that. A large number of reports that we see about fatally corrupt files involve embedded or pasted images. Using File > Package... to copy the document and links to your transfer media is the correct way to move files.

• 7. Re: Include full res in doc
                      BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Even better is to work in a dropbox or onedrive folder. Your files will follow you wherever you go...and they'll be backed up, just in case.