8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2015 6:10 AM by Daniel Sterchi

Can I move my Photo Hard Drive and will LR still find the photos?

pondball Level 1

I'm getting closer to setting up my first DAM scenario. Exact details of the computers I'm using are posted elsewhere in this forum but now the question is based on this background info:

• I will be storing my originals on a Network Drive (ND1) that will be piggy backed off a WD FW800 drive (ND2) that is connected to my (late 2009) 27" iMac. It's the fastest network storage I presently can come up with.
      • That setup is connected via Airport Extreme (AE) router that will be connected (cat5e) to another AE that is connected (cat5e) to my Internet modem.
      • I will be working and storing the lrcat file on my MBPro that will be working from WiFi distributed from one of the AE's 90% of the time.
      • There will be one backup drive (ND3) onsite and another (OF1) offsite.

I have not decided yet whether I will be running LR standalone or CC, but I don't think it changes anything with the question... which is:

If the primary working drive (ND1) is 90% of the time connected to ND2 via the 27" iMac and I want to connect it directly to my MBPro when I go on a trip or conference, will my catalog automatically find ND1 regardless of where it located? i.e.. If i move it from bullet 1 scenario to direct connect to MBPro? Os is the absolute path required for it to be found.

If it will not be found what step will I have to take to take this drive with me?

• 1. Re: Can I move my Photo Hard Drive and will LR still find the photos?
          Daniel Sterchi Adobe Community Professional

Hi pondball

I just did a little test.

I imported images to a networtdrive then I moved the images onto another network drive and deleted the images from the primary network drive. LR told me that the directory with the images could not be found when I started LR again which is true because the directory does not exist anymore. Then there was I dialog (right click on the missing folder in LR) find missing folder. LR found the folder an everything was OK again. So if the path to the network drive changes there seams to be a way to reconnect our catalog to an other network drive.

The import to a network drive is terribly slow and I personally think this is not a good way to work, but it seams to work.

Hope that this helps

kind regards

Daniel (from Switzerland)

• 2. Re: Can I move my Photo Hard Drive and will LR still find the photos?
            pondball Level 1

HI Daniel

Thanks for the quick reply... and greetings from Canada, eh!

Thanks also for testing this out with some real files. It sounds like you actually physically moved the files outside of LR though? which i have learned should cause the link to be broken. All the tut's I've been through have said that any movement should be made from within LR itself which is understandable too.

I had also read about the "find missing folder" option but did not know if would apply to my scenario.

In my scenario I would be moving not the files, but the entire HD from one physical location to another... except for the initial path the files would be in the same location on that HD.

I know working on files on a Network drive is not optimum but I can't see toting around an external HD with my MBPro as the idea of working with it is portability. And hosting the catalog on my 2009 iMac doesn't seem like a great option either as since getting my MBPro I have spent 95% of my working time on it. My regular graphics editing programs are also on it and with the SSD internal drive they absolutely fly and boot up in a blink of an eye!

I suspect that once I get my collection in order I could work with my current photos on my faster MBPro and then once finished with them (i.e. at the end of a year or project, etc) I could cull what needs to be culled and just archive the rest to the Network Drive.

• 3. Re: Can I move my Photo Hard Drive and will LR still find the photos?
              pondball Level 1

ok Daniel... now you've got me thinking about all this... again... which is probably a good thing.

my new MBPro is very new and has thunderbolt which from what I've been reading is the fastest transfer available right now... maybe I'm making too much of this portability thing and perhaps I should be looking at

• adding a network drive to my FW800 -> 28 iMac and using that as my backup drive, letting it do its thing during the night when there will be no other traffic etc
              • purchasing 1 or more portable Thunderbolt drives (1TB or 2TB) that I can use with my MBPro... maybe something like the LaCie Rugged etc and that way I could take those with me on vacations etc., and still retain speed in my working environment. If I'm not working on my photos I then don't really have to have it connected to my MBPro and still be able to stay portable

what do you think? would this be a better setup?

• 4. Re: Can I move my Photo Hard Drive and will LR still find the photos?

Hi pondball

Thats what I am doing. I have always a 2TB Disk with me. On the road I work on my MacBook Pro, at the office I work with iMac on the same disk. Lightroom is installed on both machines. No problem at all and quite fast. To me that feels much safer then the other scenario.

kind regards

• 5. Re: Can I move my Photo Hard Drive and will LR still find the photos?
                  pondball Level 1

HI Daniel

With Lightroom installed on both your MBPro and on your iMac... where do you host your catalog. My understanding is that is has to be on the internal HD of one of the machines. How do you deal with having two machines running the same HD? My faster mac is my new MBPro with its internal 500Gb SSD drive. My 2009 iMac has an internal 2TB 7200 HD.

Dan (Canada)

• 6. Re: Can I move my Photo Hard Drive and will LR still find the photos?

Hi pondball

The catalog and the images are on the external disk. The catalog can not reside on a network drive but it can be on a external drive (firewire, USB, thunderbolt,…)

I configured LightRoom on both computers to look for the catalog on the external disk. If you start LR and press the <alt> key. You can choose which catalog LR should use. I stored all the presets and also my watermarks and so on, on the external disk. So both computer «think» that they are the only computer using the catalog on the external drive.

kind regards

• 7. Re: Can I move my Photo Hard Drive and will LR still find the photos?
                      pondball Level 1

Daniel Sterchi wrote:

The catalog can not reside on a network drive but it can be on a external drive (firewire, USB, thunderbolt,…)

Hi Daniel... I didn't know that... once again it gives me options i maybe didn't have before. So, do you always travel with your 2TB or are their instances when you might work directly on your MBPro and then merge the work with your main catalog. Having said that do you maintain one catalog only or do you have separate catalogs for i.e.. personal, business, travel?

I configured LightRoom on both computers to look for the catalog on the external disk. If you start LR and press the <alt> key. You can choose which catalog LR should use. I stored all the presets and also my watermarks and so on, on the external disk. So both computer «think» that they are the only computer using the catalog on the external drive.

Was this a simple configuration you performed? or a script of some sort? or is it just the LR startup with <alt> (option) key that get this process moving in your case. Out of curiousity which 2TB external are you using? Happy with it?

Given your work solution, I'm now considering a 2 or 3TB thunderbolt/USB3 combo that would allow me to use as my LR working drive with both my MBPro and my 2009 iMac (albeit in uSB2 mode). And then connecting a 4TB USB3 drive as am secondary backup for both photos and other files to either my iMac or to one of my AEs. I presently use a 2TB FW800 drive connected to my iMac for Time Machine purposes. From what I've been reading in the Take Control series of books it would probably be advisable to have a partitioned bootable HD for both of my machines. Thats the paranoia of reading too much I guess... oh yeah ... another BU for offsite photo and file storage... :<O!

• 8. Re: Can I move my Photo Hard Drive and will LR still find the photos?

Hi pondball

I have just one catalog for work. For the privat images I have an other solution because my family doesn't  know anything about LR ;-)

Actually the configuration is quite simple. You tell LR which catalog to use. For my porpoise it is the catalog on the external disk. I do backup a lot though…

If you don't like to take all your images with you you can work with a main catalog at home on your iMac and work with a new catalog temporary catalog every time you go out. You can import the new catalogs into your main catalog at home.

kind regards