16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2015 5:04 PM by johna36019942

Lightroom 6 standalone not supported by adobe, and all work I did during CC trial version is gone!

jo324 Level 1

I spent the $79 to upgrade from LR5 to LR6 standalone. I didn't realize I got signed in for one month to the LR creative Cloud trial version.

When the trial version expired on July 27, my LR catalog no longer had the work I had done on LR during the trial version month. The catalog on my computer now had the date that I downloaded LR6, June 27.

I've spoken with Adobe CC department, but they tell me this is impossible, even though they can't find a catalog on my computer that includes my month's work. It's all gone.

I asked if I subscribed to the CC, could I get my work back, but the answer was no. All work during the trial version gets deleted by Adobe when the trial expires. This is so shocking.

How can I get back the month's work that was taken from me during the trial version?

• 1. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone not supported by adobe, and all work I did during CC trial version is gone!
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Lightroom does not delete anything at the end of the trial period. Viewing and exporting still work; just the Develop module is turned off.

Sounds like LR is now opening a new/empty catalog.

Check the menu /file/open recent/ to see if your old catalog is listed.

If it is not there, use Explorer (or Finder) to search your hard drive(s) for all the *.LRCAT files.

• 2. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone not supported by adobe, and all work I did during CC trial version is gone!
            jo324 Level 1

Thank you, ManiacJoe. I found all of my incremental backup files for the period during and after the trial version. All of my folders and collections from before the trial cloud version were there. None of the new ones were present. Adobe support told me that all my files during the trial period were deleted when it ended. I think those files were never on my hard drive, so when they were deleted from the cloud, I lost all my month's work.

Beware, everyone using the trial version. If you let it expire, rather than paying for it to continue, you can lose all the work you did during the month "free trial." I did and I'm livid. I have to do all that editing over again. Shame on Adobe.

• 3. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone not supported by adobe, and all work I did during CC trial version is gone!
              ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Your files are never just "in the cloud". The have to be on a local hard drive so that the cloud versions can be created from something. After the trial period ended, yes, all your files on Adobe's servers would be removed. However, everything on your hard drives would still be there.

How old is the most recent backup of your catalog?

• 4. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone not supported by adobe, and all work I did during CC trial version is gone!
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The free trial was for Lightroom Mobile only. It gave you an opportunity to evaluate the mobile features built into Lightroom. Those mobile features enable you to create collections and share those collections on Lightroom Mobile. But those collections that are shared contain copies of your original images. The original images are still on your hard drive. Lightroom didn't do anything to them when the trial period was over. If you have none of your images available then it is probable that somewhere along the line you have created a new empty catalog.

• 5. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone not supported by adobe, and all work I did during CC trial version is gone!
                  jo324 Level 1

My LIghtroom Catalog is several years old and I did not lose any of my old work. I do NOT have an empty catalog. I have a catalog that does NOT contain any of the work I did during the 30-day cloud trial period.

I used LIghtroom 5 Catalog.lrcat since Oct. 2013 until I installed the Lightroom 6 standalone version on June 27, 2015. At that time my catalog was "upgraded" to Lightroom Catalog.lrcat and was fine. Nothing was lost. A note on my screen said I had a 30-day trial cloud version, but I paid no attention to it because I did not intend to use it.

For the 30 days, my catalog looked fine. All the photos I imported and edited (Marathon2, Siesta Key1, and Siesta Key2) and all the collections I created were there, but I'm guessing that all that work was on the cloud and somehow not in my catalog.

After the trial ended, all of that 30 days of work was gone - no longer in my catalog - and not in my catalog backups which occurred each time I used LR6. Everything from before the 30-day trial was still there and fine. I checked every catalog backup on my Lightroom Library drive, my LIghtroom Library BK drive, and my Drobo, as well as in Crashplan in cyberspace for the period during the trial version.. Those catalog backups were dated 6.28, 6.30, 7.3, 7.12, 7.14, 7.31. None of those catalog backups contained any of my 30-day trial period work, even though I saw it in Lightroom each time I went to use my current catalog.

Whenever I import photos, I have a duplicate set placed on my Lightroom Library BK drive. All of the photos that I imported during the 30 days (Marathon2, Siesta Key1, and Siesta Key2) are on that drive - as a folder of photos. They just disappeared from my Lightroom Catalog.

I believe that those photos and collections were on the cloud and not on my hard drive. And Adobe deleted all my work in the cloud when the trial ended and I didn't extend it.

• 6. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone not supported by adobe, and all work I did during CC trial version is gone!
                    jo324 Level 1

JimHess, thanks to you and JoeManiac for taking the time to reply.

Yes, the original images from those 30 days are on my hard drive in the "make a second copy to" external drive but they are NOT in my catalog in either folders or collections. They disappeared from my catalog when the trial version ended. My catalog still contains all of my photos and collections from Oct. 2013 when I purchased LR5  to June 27, 2015 when I installed the standalone LR6. It is not an "empty catalog." But after the trial ended, all of the folders in the catalog that were imported and edited during the 30-day trial cloud period were gone. LR tech support tried to find them on my computer too, to no avail. All of that work, my editing and my collections, is gone.

Where did it go?

As I wrote to JoeM, I believe that those photos and collections were on the cloud and not on my hard drive. And Adobe deleted all my work in the cloud when the trial ended. It's a terrible way to treat customers.

• 7. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone not supported by adobe, and all work I did during CC trial version is gone!
                      Jeff Schewe Level 5

jo324 wrote:

As I wrote to JoeM, I believe that those photos and collections were on the cloud and not on my hard drive. And Adobe deleted all my work in the cloud when the trial ended. It's a terrible way to treat customers.

Did you do your work on your main workstation or in Lightroom Mobil? If you did your work on your desktop or laptop then the work will be there somewhere assuming you didn't delete the catalog. If you did your work on a mobil device and did not sync that data to your workstation then yes, that work was in the cloud. BTW, LR tech support often gets things wrong...but your images and the catalog and the work you did on your workstation did not go into the cloud...they must be somewhere locally on a drive.

• 8. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone not supported by adobe, and all work I did during CC trial version is gone!
                        jo324 Level 1

Thank you, Jeff, for replying.

I do all my work on my iMac. I have never used Lightroom Mobil.

I have checked every .lrcat on my hard drive and my back-up drives since June 27 when my catalog was fine. The catalog that includes my trial version month's work is not to be found.

I would love to know what happened to it.

• 9. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone not supported by adobe, and all work I did during CC trial version is gone!
                          kourtneys20959137

Well my trial just ended for Lightroom. Since there was no warning about losing all my work, i figured everything I've done would remain in Lightroom and the software would simply update. Nope. I just paid for the membership and everything I have done is gone. Hours and hours of work have disappeared and I am now left scrambling as i told my client i would have the photos to her in 3 days. Its my bad for not transferring them out once completed but i did not for a second think the program would wipe clean. So pissed.

• 10. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone not supported by adobe, and all work I did during CC trial version is gone!
                            dj_paige Level 9

This is not correct. Your work is still on your hard disk somewhere. Have your operating system search for any files whose name ends with .LRCAT, and double-click on the file to open it.

• 11. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone not supported by adobe, and all work I did during CC trial version is gone!
                              MikeKPhoto Level 2

As already mentoned LR support sometimes get it wrong, and as many folks here have said you should not have lost the work and images from trial period and you should have an LRCAT on your system with these files.

But, given the issues of the latest LR release, maybe the developers did slip something into the trial version that does remove everything when the trial expires?  I would hope that someone from the LR team that participates in the forum can either deny or confirm the behavior that kourtneys20959137 and jo324 have experienced.

• 12. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone not supported by adobe, and all work I did during CC trial version is gone!
                                dj_paige Level 9

I am not from the Lightroom team, but the bugs reported for Lightroom 6.2/Lightroom CC 2015.2 are not this particular situation. The problems reported here are irrelevant to the version of Lightroom.

• 13. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone not supported by adobe, and all work I did during CC trial version is gone!
                                  MikeKPhoto Level 2

I know you are not from the Lightrrom team - that is why I suggested that someone from the Adobe LR team comments. Given all that has happened over the past month or so I would not bet my paycheck....would you?

• 14. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone not supported by adobe, and all work I did during CC trial version is gone!
                                    jo324 Level 1

Adobe and its supporters will tell you than photos can't get deleted, but they are wrong. All the photos I imported and edited while I was "in the cloud" were deleted when the 30 days ended. Adobe Support admitted that they were all deleted from the cloud the day my subscription expired, but insisted they were on my hard drive, until they took over my hard drive and could not find them. It was partly my fault for doing a carbon copy clone backup instead of letting Lightroom do the backup, but it still should not have happened. The cloud cannot be trusted.

• 15. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone not supported by adobe, and all work I did during CC trial version is gone!
                                      dj_paige Level 9

And there are probably tens of thousands of users who used the trial and this didn't happen when they purchased Lightroom 6 or the subscription to Lightroom CC.

• 16. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone not supported by adobe, and all work I did during CC trial version is gone!
                                        johna36019942

Thanks ManiacJoe,

I'm new to Lightroom and after the trial period it looked like I lost most of my folders (a month's worth of work)

I followed you advice:

"Sounds like LR is now opening a new/empty catalog.

Check the menu /file/open recent/ to see if your old catalog is listed.

If it is not there, use Explorer (or Finder) to search your hard drive(s) for all the *.LRCAT files."

and under open recent I found my old catalog with 8654 photos.  I was afraid I was going to have to start over.  I am so thankful I found your reply.  Thank You