1 Reply Latest reply on May 11, 2006 4:56 PM by Newsgroup_User

Returning unique shopping cart descriptions

LuckeyMe
      Is there some code I can use for my add to cart buttons that will return a unique description based on the frame that I navigated there from or based on a specific item that has already been added to the cart? My site allows you to add an "item" to the cart and then build on it by adding "optional" items. I would like the add to cart buttons, for each "option", to return a description unique to each of the "items" for sale.

Further explanation...
      At this time what I have is 10 "items" for sale... when one "item" is added to the cart flash advances to a specific frame where "options" can be selected and added to the cart. In order to make the "option" unique to that specific "item", for order filling purposes, I gave each "option" a devoted description. The problem is that the "options" for all 10 "items" are the same on each frame. That's 10 extra frames of the exact same objects. I would much rather condense the framns to a single frame where all 10 "items" can advance to, however I'm just not sure how to do it. Hope that all makes sense.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Kim
        • 1. Re: Returning unique shopping cart descriptions
          Level 7

> Is there some code I can use for my add to cart buttons that will return a
          > unique description based on the frame that I navigated there from or based
          > on a
          > specific item that has already been added to the cart? My site allows you
          > to
          > add an "item" to the cart and then build on it by adding "optional" items.
          > I
          > would like the add to cart buttons, for each "option", to return a
          > description
          > unique to any of the "items" for sale.

You say you want a unique description for the option... so let me give an
          example
          to see if this is what you are talking about.

Say the items you are selling are the following two servers:
          IBM xSeries 330
          IBM xSeries 332

Now, someone has selected the model 330, so you take them to a page with the
          optional "add-ons" with choices like the following:
          + 1 Gig Memory
          SCSI Drives
          Advanced Graphics Card...

So, you want the description for the +1 Gig Memory to be something like
          "Expand your RAM on your IBM xSeries 330 to 2 Gigabytes"
          so that the description is based on the product being "built on"???

> Further explanation...
          > At this time what I have is 10 "items" for sale... when one "item" is
          > added to
          > the cart it advances to a specific frame where "options" can be selected
          > and
          > added to the cart. In order to make the "option" unique to that specific
          > "item", for order filling purposes, I gave each "option" a devoted
          > description.
          > The problem is that the "options" for all 10 "items" are the same on each
          > frame. That's 10 extra frames of the exact same objects. I would much
          > rather
          > condense to one frame that all 10 "items" can advance to, however I'm just
          > not
          > sure how to do it. Hope that all makes sense.

So the only thing differing between each of your 10 frames is the
          description of
          option to add?

If you are unsure of how to do something like this, I would question the
          idea of
          doing a shopping cart with flash. I have been tinkering with a shopping
          cart I
          build in flash for the past two or three months and it is still not where I
          want it.

AB
          for abou