13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2015 7:10 AM by AjS VB

AE Workflow w Audio...there must be a better way

AjS VB Level 1

Is there a better way to render AND hear the audio than the current RAM preview?

When I'm in a project and want to check any changes I've just made, I have to hit the RAM Preview...WAIT for NEW frames to be rendered at the end of the project and then when I see movement press it again...I'm then given real time video with audio. 

Trouble is, this is sooooo slow.  It takes several seconds to kick in after pressing the Ram preview button, then more to render new scenes, then finally plays. 

I spend 20 seconds just to check ANY changes.

If I press the Ram preview before it's rendered new unnecessary frames at the end of the comp it plays without audio and I have to start over again.

Hasn't been a big deal for 15 to 30 second spots, but now that I'm doing larger projects it's a big problem.

I must be doing something wrong right?  Setting somewhere?  I've tried everything I can think of.

• 1. Re: AE Workflow w Audio...there must be a better way
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Nobody can tell you anything without proper system info or other technical details like audio settings in AE and the system, audio files used and so on. We don't even know your version of AE.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: AE Workflow w Audio...there must be a better way
            AjS VB Level 1

Interesting.  I'd of thought this would be the easiest thing in the world to simply confirm by opening any project and pressing the RAM preview as I described.  Then it's real easy,  same behavior as mine yes or no?  That alone would be helpful, but OK here ya go.

1. Default installed audio settings (unless they've been changed somehow)

2. Currently use CC 2014,  but I'd say behavior has been present at least as far back as CS4, but let's stay on 2014.

3. Audio files?  Let's assume any audio because it does it with any audio; Any imported file with audio, any camera I've ever used

4. Systems: Roughly 5 different windows systems running W7x64, i7 32GB RAM, various video cards - let's just assume my hardware is OK.

• 3. Re: AE Workflow w Audio...there must be a better way
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

May we also assume that you haven't read the new previewing procedures for AE CC 2015?

But that's neither here nor there -- AE CC 2015 is riddled with bugs, as is the bug fix... especially for audio.  For the time being, you will probably be better off using AE CC 2014.

• 4. Re: AE Workflow w Audio...there must be a better way
                AjS VB Level 1

Honestly, the non-answer answers in this forum are almost as frustrating as the complete lack of official customer service and bugs.

Would it really have been that hard to simply confirm my issue as "normal" or not?

• 5. Re: AE Workflow w Audio...there must be a better way
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

Okay, it's abnormal.  It's a bug.  There. Do you feel betterr now?  Can you get on with your work better now?

• 6. Re: AE Workflow w Audio...there must be a better way
                    AjS VB Level 1

Dave, please don't respond to my posts anymore, I rarely find them useful.

Step one of troubleshooting anything involves establishing if the behavior is a bug or some setting Adobe or the user has in place.  I don't get paid by Adobe, I actually pay them and I have much better things to do than spend time helping to fix bugs which frankly shouldn't have been in place to begin with.  It's remarkable this is even an issue much less an ongoing one...very telling.

• 7. Re: AE Workflow w Audio...there must be a better way
                      StormyCPb Level 3

I have to admit to being stung by Dave's sarcasm on more than one occasion, but anyhoo... this may not be any more helpful but I assume you know about holding down ctrl and scrubbing the timeline, so you can at least hear back the audio to a degree and find your marks?

• 8. Re: AE Workflow w Audio...there must be a better way
                        AjS VB Level 1

That is helpful thanks...

My "solution" is to finish the project in 2015 now, which with the latest update does have better previews and to work around scenes that require unsupported plugins back in CC 2014 or CS6. 

• 9. Re: AE Workflow w Audio...there must be a better way
                          Snakedogman Level 2

Dave, you're not being helpful at all, and condescending at the same time. He's clearly stated he's using CC2014, so your remarks about CC2015 are irrelevant in this case. (Though you are right with saying 2015 is riddled with bugs even after the update, I'm gone back to working with 2014 as well since I find the new preview system unusable in practical work).

To the topic-starter: I'm surprised that in your case the 2015 preview actually works better, but great for you The problem as you describe it in your first post is hard to diagnose as a bug. The behaviour sounds like normal behaviour (press RAM preview button, wait a bit for some of your comp to be cached, then press again to play real time) but the time it takes for you seems very long. This process certainly doesn't always take so long though it very much depends on how heavy your comp is. If it's really heavy it will take longer to cache frames, but for me at least it usually starts caching pretty much instantly when I press RAM preview. But also you mention you have to wait for things to cache at the "end of your comp". Normally it would start caching at the playhead (if "From current time" is activated in the RAM preview settings). If not, it will use the work area. Of course if all frames are already cached until the end of the project, then the next time your RAM preview it will continue caching near the end where there are still uncached frames. Have you tried using the work area to limit the part of your comp for previewing? For longer or heavier comps I also use the skip option in the preview settings a lot. Basically a skip of 1 frame already gives you twice as fast RAM preview caching! But I don't think that's gonna fix your issue. Is there any way for you to post a project file or screenrecording of what's happening?

• 10. Re: AE Workflow w Audio...there must be a better way
                            Gutter-Fish Level 4

You could also try deleting your caches if they are large...large caches (even if they're not full) can cause very slow caching for RAM preview.   Also you can drop your display res to half or even a quarter, that will speed things up quite a bit.   Also using render proxies.   I know these seem like obvious things but when I'm working I'll isolate it to only what I'm working on...so if I'm making adjustments to somehting I don't need to cache the whole comp, just the 5 or 10 or 15 seconds I'm working on.  From what you wrote it seems you are trying to RAM more than 30 seconds at a time...I don't see why you would need preview more then 30 second.   Honestly it sounds like you're just not working very efficiently.

• 11. Re: AE Workflow w Audio...there must be a better way
                              AjS VB Level 1

Thanks for the info

I recorded a sample of me working on the project AE 2014 Ram preview - YouTube

Preview resolution set to 1/10 and videos are Premiere segments of 50mb sec Canon MXF.  There is a slight improvement when working with video files directly.

i7 3770k, 24GB RAM, W7x64, GTX 780 with Mercury/Cuda, SSD 850 Pro OS, 840 Evo Dedicated Cache.

As for 2015, I was shocked at how much better things flowed, roughly 2-3x faster previews with audio and a less fussy way of getting there.

But then....the crashing started.  Now after just a few minutes and scrubs the project constantly crashes, so it's back to 2014.

• 12. Re: AE Workflow w Audio...there must be a better way
                                Snakedogman Level 2

So, yeah looking at your video there's a rather long delay between pressing the preview button and it actually starting the preview. Does the info panel give any information during this time? Does it start faster in CC2015?

• 13. Re: AE Workflow w Audio...there must be a better way
                                  AjS VB Level 1

CC 2015 is much faster but crash prone ... cleaning the cache and restarting allowed me to continue with test renders turning out OK.   So I'm taking a chance and continuing the project in 2015...which is risky as I can't go back to 2014 if I get stuck in a crash loop.  So I'm just plowing through this and hoping for the best.

I think I just have to restructure my workflow and trade convenience and disk space for stability...