15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2007 2:45 AM by roos_vonk

PlEaSe HeLp - file not editable

mbarrand
      For months now I have been struggling to find a away to fix an issue I am having where the homepage on the website can't be ediited via contribute - by any user even though the file is not in draft form on any machine.

I get the message "you are editting this page on another computer... click to unlock etc". The problem is that the unlock doesn't work and I get forwarded back to the same notice/error.

Is there some way to once and for all - reset the records for this file.

I would really appreciate suggestions as to how I can resolve this.
        • 1. Re: PlEaSe HeLp - file not edditable
          Level 7
          mbarrand wrote:
          > For months now I have been struggling to find a away to fix an issue I am
          > having where the homepage on the website can't be ediited via contribute - by
          > any user even though the file is not in draft form on any machine.
          >
          > I get the message "you are editting this page on another computer... click to
          > unlock etc". The problem is that the unlock doesn't work and I get forwarded
          > back to the same notice/error.
          >
          > Is there some way to once and for all - reset the records for this file.
          >
          > I would really appreciate suggestions as to how I can resolve this.
          >

Browse to the .LCK file (ex: test.htm.LCK file) residing in the same
          directory. Edit the file contents, Delete all the contents of the file
          which would contain email address of the person, Save the LCK file.

Now go back and see, you can edit the page. As a work around, you can do
          the following also.

a) Browse to the home page url ( http://serverurl/test.htm)
          b) File->New, Choose Copy of current page.
          c) Create a copy
          d) Publish it
          e) delete the old page which was locked out.

Hope either of this helps you.
          • 2. Re: PlEaSe HeLp - file not editable
            mbarrand Level 1
            Hi and many thanks for your helping me on this issue.

Sadly after updating the .lck file the situation is the same.

Contribute will not allow me to copy the current page. when I select this option and give the new page the title "thisisatest", I get the following contribute error: "You can't edit this page because it wasn't found on the website or it is a directory listing."

The following error is displayed on the page:
            "Not Found
            The requested URL /thisisatest(New).php was not found on this server.
            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.deepstream.com Port 80"

I am thinking that there is something very wrong with this contribute site!

Do you have any other suggestions, if so I would really appreciate your thoughts?

• 3. Re: PlEaSe HeLp - file not editable
              mlemelin
              check on the webserver that the file is published if there is a file there with the same file name but with a .LCK extension after it just delete that file and it will get rid of that error message for you
              • 4. Re: PlEaSe HeLp - file not editable
                mbarrand Level 1
                Hi

There is no .LCK extension to the file (I checked with CuteFTP). Sadly the problem persists.

I really appreciate you taking the time to help.

Cheers

Mat
                • 5. Re: PlEaSe HeLp - file not editable
                  bit_thick
                  Hi
                  Did you solve this issue? I had a similar problem and discovered it was because of case sensitivity in file names. Users were creating pages but weren't using the camel case standard I'd recommended. I went into Dreamweaver to change them and that's when the problem arose. I deleted the wrong pages and re-uploaded the new ones. I also made sure the navigation reflected the changes.
                  • 6. Re: PlEaSe HeLp - file not editable
                    mbarrand Level 1
                    My client does have a habit of creating new files using upper and lower case characters. The homepage (index.php) obviously does not suffer from this problem - yet it can't be editted through contribute!
                    • 7. Re: PlEaSe HeLp - file not editable
                      mbarrand Level 1
                      I have been speaking with Adobe customer support,and there is obviously something very wrong here... I suggested that a clean install of contribute would be the way to go. They agreed but couldn't advise upon how to go about doing this.

The last time I attempted this, Dreamweaver kept (somehow) reverting to previous configuration so I was unable to make a fresh start.

I would really appreciate advise about how I can make a totally fresh start with contribute on the site. Does contribute store preferences files in my machine as well as in the site structure... what files do I need to delete?

Hope you can help!!
                      • 8. Re: PlEaSe HeLp - file not editable
                        mbarrand Level 1
                        I think I found have the answer - within the TechNotes I found the following article (as very below) which suggests that problem could relate to the IIS version on the web server.

Apparently if a remote file is being browsed it can be locked and therefore unavailable for editting via contribute...

http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_16747

I will confrim is this is the solution.
                        • 9. Re: PlEaSe HeLp - file not editable
                          mbarrand Level 1
                          Well, the server is unix so that can't be to blame.

I think I will have to resort to that fresh install - if only I couls establish the procedure to do it.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
                          • 10. Re: PlEaSe HeLp - file not editable
                            Sheryl@adobe
                            I had this problem also on a windows system so I downloaded SmartFTP and then was able to easily delete the .LCK files which left the original HTML files for fresh editing. Hope that helps...
                            • 11. Re: PlEaSe HeLp - file not editable
                              mbarrand Level 1
                              Hi Sherly

Thanks for your advise.

So far I have had no problems in deleting the .LCK files using CUTEftp, the webserver is unix by the way.

I really need to set-up contribute from scratch on this site but I need to know which files I need to delete (on the web server, locally and on my pc (preferences files etc). But even after speaking with adobe technical support I have not been able to get this information.

Any advise would be much appreciated.
                              • 12. Re: PlEaSe HeLp - file not editable
                                roos_vonk
                                Hi, please let me know if you have found a solution to the problem. I am a new user and I have the same problem. I have no idea what to do.
                                Rose
                                • 13. Re: PlEaSe HeLp - file not editable
                                  mbarrand Level 1
                                  Hi - No I am still trying to find a solution ....loosing faith in Contribute.

I would like to know how to perform a full reinstall of the software, I think this is my only option. I spoke to Adobe weeks ago and they said they'd email me some instructions regarding that, but so far - nothing.

I will keep you posted if I get any closer to a remedy.
                                  • 14. Re: PlEaSe HeLp - file not editable
                                    HangD
                                    Mbarrand,

To completely remove Contribute (depending on whether you are using 3 or 4) on Mac or Windows follow the following steps. You can also reference this Studio 8 technote for program removal http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=4e7826b7 and for selective startup mode for Windows XP http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=d2b5934d

You need to log in with Admin rights to remove program, verify that you have removed all site connections to Contribute, and have removed the _mm folders from the remote site.

Windows: Start Menu > Settings > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs. Choose Macromedia Contribute from the list of programs and click remove. Complete the removal wizard

**For version 4, follow the same steps but choose remove Adobe Contribute 4
                                    In addition to the add/remove wizard you will need remove a couple more references:

Navigate to C: > Documents and Settings > [username] > Local Settings > Application Data > Macromedia. Delete the Contribute 3 folder.

For version 4
                                    Navigate to C: > Documents and Settings > [username] > Local Settings > Application Data > Adobe > Delete the Contribute 4 folder.

For Registry removal of Contribute (***do not continue with this step, if you are unfamiliar with Windows Registry - editing the Windows Registry incorrectly can cause serious problems. Adobe does not guarantee that problems caused by editing the registry incorrectly can be resolved.***)

Click the Start menu and choose Run. Type regedit into the run prompt and click OK. Navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Macromedia > Contribute 3. Right-click the Contribute 3 folder and choose delete.
                                    and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Macromedia\Contribute 3 and
                                    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Macromedia\Contribute\3

For Version 4
                                    Click the Start menu and choose Run. Type regedit into the run prompt and click OK. Navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Adobe > Contribute 4. Right-click the Contribute 4 folder and choose delete.
                                    and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Contribute\4

For Mac OS Users
                                    HD:Applications:Macromedia Contribute 3
                                    HD:username:Library:Application Support:Macromedia:Contribute 3
                                    HD:Users:username:Library:Preferences:Contribute 3 Preferences
                                    HD:Users :username:Library > Preferences > com.macromedia.Contribute.plist

For Version 4 Mac OS
                                    HD:Applications:Adobe Contribute 4
                                    HD:Users:username:Library:Application Support:Adobe Contribute 4
                                    HD:Users:[username]:Library:Preferences:Contribute 4 Preferences
                                    HD:Users: [username] : Library : Preferences : com.adobe.Contribute.plist

Remove the licensing file as well:

--Optional Step: Remove the Contribute folder which contains the current license

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Macromedia\Licensing\Products\Contribute 3.0
                                    %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Adobe\Licensing\Products\Contribute 4.0

Hard Drive:Library:Application Support:Macromedia:Licensing:Licenses:Contribute 3
                                    Hard Drive:Library:Application Support:Macromedia:Licensing:Products:Contribute 3

Hard Drive:Library:Application Support:Adobe:Licensing:Licenses:Contribute 4
                                    Hard Drive:Library:Application Support:Adobe:Licensing:Products:Contribute 4

Remove temp files from your local C:\Documents and Settings\[username]Local Settings\Temp folder

Restart your computer and install Contribute from your CD or downloaded executable.
                                    • 15. Re: PlEaSe HeLp - file not editable
                                      roos_vonk Level 1
                                      I resolved the problem without reinstalling. I deleted the connection to the site and created it again. Simple! Good luck.