4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2015 3:22 AM by sydhsydh

APE11 crashing with videos over 2 hours

sydhsydh Level 1

I am using APE11 which works fine most of the time, but if I load a video of more than approx 2 hours into the timeline, and then drag the horizontal scroll bar to reach the end of the video, it crashes with a spinning circle. It does not recover. Subsequent clicks gets the not responding box. It will also do this during editing if I reach a certain position on the time line, sometimes after the 1 hour mark.

I assume this is a memory issue, but I am using an i7 CPU with 16GB RAM with W8.1 64-bit. The page file is system managed but currently it is at 19GB. Premiere is on an SSD with over 100GB free, and the project & scratch files are on a HDD with over 2TB free.

Can someone advise what is going wrong please?

• 1. Re: APE11 crashing with videos over 2 hours
          A.T. Romano Level 7

sydhsydh

Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Audio and video are conformed by the project when they are brought into the project. Are you giving the project enough time before you start your moves in the project? Look to the bottom right of the workspaces for a progress bar which would show any conforming activities if they were going on. Do not do anything in the project until the conforming is done and the progress bar disappears.

Also, assuming the conforming was complete or not a factor, what happens if you take the Timeline Indicator to the end of the Timeline content by pressing the End key of the computer instead of what you are doing now with the horizontal scroll bar?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: APE11 crashing with videos over 2 hours
            sydhsydh Level 1

Thanks for the reply ATR. Conforming was complete. Tried using the End key and it crashed as it does when dragging the scroll bar or when clicking the scroll bar arrow. The timeline reaches the end of the clip but then it crashes and I have to close the program.

I have a resource meter running and as the clip is loaded the RAM rises from 20% to 80% used. The CPU barely moves. As soon as I close the program, the RAM drops back instantly as it should.

• 3. Re: APE11 crashing with videos over 2 hours
              A.T. Romano Level 7

sydhsydh

Thanks for the reply with additional troubleshooting information.

Is your Timeline composed of one 2 hour video or is it composed of many video clips whose total duration adds up to 2 hours?

What is the format of the file or files? Video compression, audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, pixel aspect ratio. Posting the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the video(s) might give us the file information that we need for troubleshooting.

If you start a new project, are the problems there at the very start or do the problems develop as you add and edit to the Timeline content?

Do you have any other media type other than video on that Timeline? Any pile ups in the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder or Media Cache Folder?

Let us consider the above and then decide the next steps.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: APE11 crashing with videos over 2 hours
                sydhsydh Level 1

Hi ATR

The clip is a single clip that was previously exported as an MP4 H264 1920 x 1080 25p. I am trying to re-edit it.

The crash problem is before any editing. The preview and cache folders were empty as I started a new project as PAL-AVCHD-Full HD 1080i 25.

Normally I would edit footage from the cam (Canon Legria HF-G30) but the original files were deleted long ago. I have never had this problem when performing the original editing from cam and I regularly import over 3 hours of clips from the cam with no problems.

With that in mind, I assume this may be something to do with it being either a single clip/file or the fact it is an MP4. Maybe APE11 does not like MP4 imports, although shorter MP4 clips of over 1 hour are fine. They edit OK and re-export as MP4 as they should.

I did wonder about chopping the file in 2, but the crash will not allow me to do this.