7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2006 10:12 PM by Newsgroup_User

fixed ratio for crop tool

Level 7
      I do a lot of photo cropping. Is it possible to set a fixed ratio for
      the crop tool? It can be done with the marquee tool, why not the crop tool.

I know about Shift-Drag to constrain crop marquee.

Thanks for any help,
      Martin
        • 1. Re: fixed ratio for crop tool
          abeall Level 3
          No, but you can use the marquee with Edit > Crop Document. The annoying part is that in FW you have to have a Bitmap selected in order to make a selection with the marquee, but you can always do Insert > Empty Bitmap if you don't have a Bitmap handy. Neither of those commands have a keyboard shortcut by default, I think, but you can give them ones in Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts.

HTH
          • 2. Re: fixed ratio for crop tool
            Level 7
            marty;
            Fwiw selections made with the rectangular marquee tool are preserved if
            you switch to the crop tool immediately after making the marquee
            selection. -Tom Unger

• 3. Re: fixed ratio for crop tool
              Level 7
              Thomas Unger wrote:
              > marty;
              > Fwiw selections made with the rectangular marquee tool are preserved if
              > you switch to the crop tool immediately after making the marquee
              > selection. -Tom Unger

Thanks for your help Tom.

When I select the crop tool after making the marquee selection the crop
              marquee appears for an instant but then disappears suddenly and the
              pointer tool is selected automatically.

I don't know why this is happening.

Cheers,
              Marty
              • 4. Re: fixed ratio for crop tool
                Level 7
                abeall wrote:
                > No, but you can use the marquee with Edit > Crop Document. The annoying part is
                > that in FW you have to have a Bitmap selected in order to make a selection with
                > the marquee, but you can always do Insert > Empty Bitmap if you don't have a
                > Bitmap handy. Neither of those commands have a keyboard shortcut by default, I
                > think, but you can give them ones in Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts.
                >
                > HTH

Thanks for the tips.
                • 5. Re: fixed ratio for crop tool
                  Level 7
                  marty:
                  I've never experienced that symptom (fw8 on winxp-pro). In fact I've used
                  this method for several versions of fireworks on several platforms (mac and
                  win) without seeing that, so I'm not sure what to suggest. Could be a
                  keyboard shortcut conflict--unless it happens with the mouse as well... -Tom
                  Unger

• 6. Re: fixed ratio for crop tool
                    Level 7
                    Thomas Unger wrote:
                    > marty:
                    > I've never experienced that symptom (fw8 on winxp-pro). In fact I've used
                    > this method for several versions of fireworks on several platforms (mac and
                    > win) without seeing that, so I'm not sure what to suggest. Could be a
                    > keyboard shortcut conflict--unless it happens with the mouse as well... -Tom
                    > Unger

I have fw8 on winxp-pro as well. It's a new installation of fireworks; I
                    have not changed any keyboard shortcuts from the default set.

It happens with both the mouse and keyboard shortcut (C).
                    • 7. Re: fixed ratio for crop tool
                      Level 7
                      Interesting, I'm getting the same thing over here. So you're not alone
                      Marty. (FWs8 on winxp-home)

You could use a mask if the crop is relatively small?

Peter
                      | > marty:
                      | > I've never experienced that symptom (fw8 on winxp-pro). In fact I've
                      used
                      | > this method for several versions of fireworks on several platforms (mac
                      and
                      | > win) without seeing that, so I'm not sure what to suggest. Could be a
                      | > keyboard shortcut conflict--unless it happens with the mouse as
                      well... -Tom
                      | > Unger
                      |
                      | I have fw8 on winxp-pro as well. It's a new installation of fireworks; I
                      | have not changed any keyboard shortcuts from the default set.
                      |
                      | It happens with both the mouse and keyboard shortcut (C).