4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2015 4:42 PM by ManiacJoe

Lightroom & Windows 10

JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Okay, this really isn't a Lightroom question. But after seeing a number of problems involving Lightroom running on Windows 10, I'm beginning to wonder why I would want to upgrade. If I upgrade to Windows 10, and then spend the next few days or weeks or months trying to make Lightroom run like it has been running in Windows 7, what's the point of doing the upgrade? I just would like to see what some of you think about Windows 10 and running Lightroom after you have upgraded.

• 1. Re: Lightroom & Windows 10
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adobe has been doing testing of all Creative Cloud Apps, including Lightroom CC/LR6 and Photoshop CC and W10 is now reflected in system requirements along side W7 & W8.But not everyone has a perfect experience. I haven't upgraded myself Jim. It's probably hardware dependent e.g graphics card and of course older programs or plug-ins may suffer.

For more information see W10 Compatibility Blog & FAQ

• 2. Re: Lightroom & Windows 10
            99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

EDIT

I guess we will see more comments in the community from those who have experienced problems. We are unlikely to see much information from those who have upgraded successfully. As always we need to keep things in context, otherwise it’s a bit like judging the health of the population of the whole town, from those few in hospital.  There are a few YouTube videos from the beta tester community who claim that LR & Photoshop work on W10. I think I may stick with W7 which works fine until I need a new computer. I think I prefer to do a clean install into a new W10. Having said that I’ve done several  OS upgrades on My Mac over recent years and without any problem. And this is the future for W10 PC’s and devices. But whereas MAC OSX is largely a closed eco system controlled by Apple, Windows relies on a plethora of PC manufacturers and component suppliers.

• 3. Re: Lightroom & Windows 10
              Jacob897

Hello all,

Rather than start a new topic, I'll reply here as seeing how people haven't even posted an issue like this yet. This is my first forum post here (but not my first forum post on other sites) so I'm not sure how to navigate back to this one.

I'll start out with my specs: HP Envy 15-173cl, AMD A10 5750m Quad Core, AMD Radeon HD 8650G, 12gb Dual-Channel DDR3, 1TB Hitachi HGST SATA disk device, Windows 10 (64 x bit). My Lightroom edition is the standalone 6, not CC, and currently running v6.1.1 (I believe that is the most recent version).

My issue occurred sometime after upgrading to Windows 10. On 8.1, all functions worked as they should. The last time I used LR I believe I forgot to remove a few photos from the set, but that's never hindered anything before on 8.1. Now on Windows 10, those photos are still there. I try to remove the photo and it does disappear, but when hovering over any click spot, the colors normally change to a lighter hue IIRC. Now they don't. If I try to click on anything, it goes unresponsive, and freezes. I have to spam the X button to close out of LR, and when I restart it, the photo I attempted to remove is still there. Attempting to remove the photo again only repeats the problem.

However, it seems that if I don't attempt to remove the photo first, I can still use all the functions of LR. I can switch from Develop to Library, Book, Map, etc... But I cannot remove the photo.

While looking for the version I run, I stumbled upon this:

Lightroom version: 6.1.1 [ 1032027 ]

License: Perpetual

Operating system: Windows 8.1 Home Premium Edition

Version: 6.3 [9600]

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 4

Processor speed: 2.4 GHz

Built-in memory: 11482.2 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 11482.2 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 594.5 MB (5.1%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 596.1 MB

Memory cache size: 300.8 MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 4

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2

System DPI setting: 120 DPI

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Displays: 1) 1920x1080

Input types: Multitouch: Yes, Integrated touch: Yes, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:

AMD Radeon HD 8650G

Check OpenGL support: Passed

Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.

Version: 3.3.13397 Core Profile Context 15.200.1055.0

Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 8650G

LanguageVersion: 4.40

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom

Library Path: C:\Users\<myusernamehere\Pictures\Lightroom\Lightroom Catalog.lrcat

Settings Folder: C:\Users\<myusernamehere>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:

1) Behance

2) Canon Tether Plugin

3) Facebook

4) Flickr

5) Leica Tether Plugin

6) Nikon Tether Plugin

Config.lua flags: None

Adapter #1: Vendor : 1002

D

Bolded specifically, is the operating system it's listed as Windows 8.1 still. I'm not sure if this means Windows 10 isn't supported, or LR doesn't recognize if Windows has been upgraded. Anyways, I'm clueless when it comes to bug fixing, so I hope you guys can help me out.

Thanks,
              Jacob

• 4. Re: Lightroom & Windows 10
                ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

JimHess wrote:

Okay, this really isn't a Lightroom question. But after seeing a number of problems involving Lightroom running on Windows 10, I'm beginning to wonder why I would want to upgrade. If I upgrade to Windows 10, and then spend the next few days or weeks or months trying to make Lightroom run like it has been running in Windows 7, what's the point of doing the upgrade? I just would like to see what some of you think about Windows 10 and running Lightroom after you have upgraded.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of folks willing to jump to a new major version of an OS without waiting for the needed upgrades of their current apps. Jim, at least you are doing the research. Granted I am a software engineer with lots of Windows experience, so I may have a bit more insight into this process than most folks.

With as much CPU and graphics processing that are required for LR and PS, everyone should be betting that the new OS is going to require adjustments to the current apps. Win 10 is only weeks old. This is not nearly enough time for any app manufacturer to get their software tested and fixed for the new OS. While I have no intention of updating my Win7 box to Win10, if I was so inclined I would certainly wait for two updates of LR to happen before making the OS switch as I don't have time to be a beta tester for Windows nor Lightroom.

Now, if I was running Win8, I might be looking to upgrade the OS a little sooner....