8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2015 8:31 AM by trshaner

Confused on workflow with LR catalogue, original images and edited images. Keep losing edits. [was: Answering this questioning would mean the world to me!]

MentalCulture

Hello

I am just starting to understand the catologues. Before I had,  I was saving a copy of the edited images, and a copy of the original images on an external hardrive, then saving a folder on the desktop with the same original files and one for the edited image files.

1. Then I understood the concept of the catalogue and being able to export the catalogue, and reopen into it with another light room on a different computer. That’s what we need!

So I created a catalogue for these ‘scanned slides’ , and have the catalogue next to the original files. And also imported the images from an older catalogue successfully.

But when I tried to connect the edited images on lightroom to the original images, the photos in light room lost their edits. So in order to keep them I had to drag the ‘revised images’ back out of the trash ( which I thought were unnecessary if I had the original image and catalogue). In order to keep the images on  lightroom4 revised.

It seems fine to keep all in one folder : the catalog, original images, and edited images. But is this how it is supposed to be?

I fear it will obstruct the work flow once we do actually export these files onto an external hard drive and into a new computer and light room. I’ve already noticed I cannot go back to the original image in ‘develop’ but it treats the edited image as the original.

Please let me know if there is a way to reconnect these images to their original images, while  keeping the edits in light room.

Or if I should just start from scratch, before I ever exported and saved edited images.

( My boss needs me to scan and organize photos so they are available on the computer, but also at whim on the external hard drive to bring into another light room when/if he travels)

• 1. Re: Answering this questioning would mean the world to me!
          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Diving into Lightroom (LR) head-first without understanding how a non-destructive editor works is going to cause headaches. You've encountered just one-of-many!

Rule #1: NEVER EVER Move or rename image files from outside of Lightroom using Windows Explorer or Mac Finder. They will become disconnected inside LR's Library module.

If you've moved the entire 'My Pictures' folder structure to an external drive from outside LR you can reconnect the files. Right-click on the top-most 'My Pictures folder (or whatever it is named) inside LR's Library module, select 'Update Folder Location, and then navigate to that folder on the external drive. LR will reconnect all of the files provided they are still in the same folder locations.

There's also no need to Export edited images and save a copy to your hard drive. Only Export images as you need them for Web posting, printing, etc. at the size required. More help here on using LR:

Lightroom tutorials | Learn how to use Photoshop Lightroom

• 2. Re: Confused on workflow with LR catalogue, original images and edited images. Keep losing edits. [was: Answering this questioning would mean the world to me!]
            ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

The location of the catalog is completely unrelated to the images, however they are often "near" each other. For example, my layout is

catalogs - d:\lr_catalogs

photos - d:\from_camera

If the exported files need to be easily coordinated with the original files, folks often create a directory tree that looks like this:

.../date/originals

.../date/exports

If you don't organize by date, fill in your event name or whatever.

Lightroom references your original images by path and file name. After you have imported the images, moving them outside of LR can get tricky. Deleting the images from the hard drive disastrous.

It is not clear what you mean by "I tried to connect the edited images on lightroom to the original images".

If you moved the files from their original location, you just do a "find missing" from inside of LR to update the new location of the old images. Ideally you are moving whole directories so that you can do a "find missing" on the folder to fix all the images at once.

If you need to have copies of the original files and their catalog available for others to browse, your best be is probably to "export as catalog" with the option to "include negative files" turned on.

• 3. Re: Confused on workflow with LR catalogue, original images and edited images. Keep losing edits. [was: Answering this questioning would mean the world to me!]

mentalculture wrote:

1. Then I understood the concept of the catalogue and being able to export the catalogue, and reopen into it with another light room on a different computer. That’s what we need!

If you need to be able to work on the image files using multiple computers (i.e. home and work). The easiest way to do this is to put all of your image files AND the LR catalog and previews folder on the external drive. For best results make sure to use a USB 3.0 external drive, otherwise it may slow LR down with the catalog on the external drive. Also there is no need to use more than one (1) LR catalog.

• 4. Re: Confused on workflow with LR catalogue, original images and edited images. Keep losing edits. [was: Answering this questioning would mean the world to me!]
                MentalCulture Level 1

Thank you for your help! Thank you, thank youuuu!!!!!

I agree, moving folders outside of light room is the first and huge mistake.

Fortunately I am only about 100 photos in, So I created a new catalog, on the External Hard Drive, and put the original images on it along with the presets folders. And It will stay on the External hard drive when it gets moved from computer to computer.

The only last question I have is this...

'automatically write changes into XMP'

Should I do this? I want to keep the original files, intact to the edited images I see in Light Room. And my issue with last time, is when editing i was unable to go all the way back to the original image in 'history'.

Is there a way to save a set of the edited versions, but keep the original images connected to light room images, so when moving them from light room(1 computer) to light room (another computer), I can always go back to the original scanned image upon editing.

Also- I notice upon importing folders of photos, a duplication set of the images are made . Though once I edit them, they still look like the original files. Can I just trust that these now edited images are being saved to the catalogue as I edit the photos?

What I truly want:   I want to assure that when I pull this hard drive out and put it into a new computer and open the catalogue onto a  different LightRoom, that the ... up to date edited images will appear (not originals) , organized and tagged as they were, and for the original file to still be one click away within ' history' (if need be).

• 5. Re: Confused on workflow with LR catalogue, original images and edited images. Keep losing edits. [was: Answering this questioning would mean the world to me!]
                  Keith_Reeder Level 4

MentalCulture wrote:

I want to assure that when I pull this hard drive out and put it into a new computer

Don't do that - use an external USB 3 hard drive.

• 6. Re: Confused on workflow with LR catalogue, original images and edited images. Keep losing edits. [was: Answering this questioning would mean the world to me!]

MentalCulture wrote:

Fortunately I am only about 100 photos in, So I created a new catalog, on the External Hard Drive, and put the original images on it along with the presets folders. And It will stay on the External hard drive when it gets moved from computer to computer.

If you want the primary system's presets available on multiple computers check 'Store presets with this catalog' in LR Preferences. Just be aware that there are some consequences of using this setting. More here: Store presets with catalog If you only intend on using one catalog (as suggested) the issues are minimized.

MentalCulture wrote:

The only last question I have is this...

'automatically write changes into XMP'

Should I do this? I want to keep the original files, intact to the edited images I see in Light Room. And my issue with last time, is when editing i was unable to go all the way back to the original image in 'history'.

Is there a way to save a set of the edited versions, but keep the original images connected to light room images, so when moving them from light room(1 computer) to light room (another computer), I can always go back to the original scanned image upon editing.

As mentioned in my first reply LR is a non-destructive editor. I suggest watching this video to better understand what that means. http://www.slrlounge.com/school/lightroom-4-a-z-training-dvd-guide-destructive-vs-non-dest ructive-editing/

You can always revert back to the original image regardless of the edits applied since the original file's image data is never modified. Yes, you can write both your develop settings, keywords, and ratings using the "write changes into XMP" option, but it is not necessary for normal workflows. It also tends to slow down LR, which is going to be to more apparent when using an external drive. All of this information is contained in the LR catalog stored on the external drive. Just make sure to backup the LR catalog file and image files to a 2nd hard drive on a regular basis, such as after editing a large number of files during the work day. I cannot stress enough how important it is to use a good backup software program.

MentalCulture wrote:

Also- I notice upon importing folders of photos, a duplication set of the images are made . Though once I edit them, they still look like the original files. Can I just trust that these now edited images are being saved to the catalogue as I edit the photos?

Do you have 'Make a Second Copy To:' option checked in the Import module? This can also happen if you imported images that have already been imported into LR. To prevent this check the option for 'Don't Import Suspected Duplicates.'

I suggest watching some of the video tutorials at the below link to better understand LR workflow procedures.

Lightroom tutorials | Learn how to use Photoshop Lightroom

• 7. Re: Confused on workflow with LR catalogue, original images and edited images. Keep losing edits. [was: Answering this questioning would mean the world to me!]
                      MentalCulture Level 1

Thank you !!! I will look into all your advice.

So even though the original files remain seemingly un changed, I can trust then when re opened on another computer the catalogue Lr.Cat has all of the edit settings saved and they will sync onto lightroom again?

• 8. Re: Confused on workflow with LR catalogue, original images and edited images. Keep losing edits. [was: Answering this questioning would mean the world to me!]

Yes. That's why it is so important to have a recent backup copy of the LR catalog file. ALL of your assigned edits, Collections, Keywords, Ratings, etc. are contained inside the LR catalog. When you plug the external drive into a 2nd system LR will open and show all image editing done on the primary system. When you move the external drive back to the primary system LR will show all editing done on the 2nd system.