10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2015 6:08 AM by RzzB

Sort by Aspect Ratio not working

RzzB Level 1

I have been searching for a solution to this but have found nothing...

Using Windows 7 Home (64bit) - Lightroom CC 2015.1.1

Sort by Aspect Ratio is not working for me. See attached screen shot.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Roy

Sort by Aspect Ratio.JPG

• 1. Re: Sort by Aspect Ratio not working
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To search a specific folder or collection click on the word metadata on the filter bar above the thumbnails. Then hover your mouse over one of the column headers e.g. Lens and click the drop-down menu and change to Aspect Ratio

To search the entire catalog try using the power of Lightroom smart collections. Simply click on the plus icon on the Collections Tab and choose create smart collection. Then set your criteria. You can choose aspect ratio or various dimensions or a combination of dimensions and aspect ratio – click image below:

SmartAspect.png

• 2. Re: Sort by Aspect Ratio not working
            RzzB Level 1

99jon many thanks for your response.

Perhaps I didn't explain myself very well...

I'm not talking about filtering or searching - I'm talking about sorting the image well - from the task bar at the bottom.

See the image below... now with red arrow (rather wobbly red arrow - there must be a way to insert an arrow in Photoshop! :-)

Anyway - as you can see - Sort by Aspect Ratio - doesn't seem to work - the image well is not sorted by aspect ratio. Or is my understanding all wrong? It has worked OK in the past. I must be doing something differently - or it's a new feature.

Thanks,

Roy

Sort by Aspect Ratio.JPG

• 3. Re: Sort by Aspect Ratio not working

OK it’s working for me at least on folders.  I notice you are using a collection set. Are any of the individual collections set to a manual sort order (Custom Order)?

That’s the only thing I can think of that may be affecting the results.

• 4. Re: Sort by Aspect Ratio not working
                RzzB Level 1

I don't think it should affect it but it's a good thought.

Indeed one of the collections was set to Custom. However when I changed it to Capture Time, same as all the other collections in the set, it didn't make any difference to the collection set order.

I also changed all of the collections in the set to sort by Aspect Ratio - that too didn't help. Actually some of the sets sorted OK and some of them didn't. See screen shot of single collection below.

Sort by Aspect Ratio 2.JPG

• 5. Re: Sort by Aspect Ratio not working

Sorry it’s a mystery. I always get portraits first followed by landscapes or reverse if I click the A/Z button.

• 6. Re: Sort by Aspect Ratio not working
                    RzzB Level 1

Hmm - yes, a mystery. I need to spend some time and see if I can narrow it down.

Unfortunately I have very little time at the moment as I'm scrabbling to get ready for an exhibition in two weeks...

When I get a few moments I'll see if I can work out what's causing it.

Same problem is happening to some folders.. Ooohh - just found that it seems to be failing on older folders. Folders from 2012 are not working correctly.  2015 - works fine.

Some of the files in the collections I was sorting had old photos in them - and they were the ones not sorting correctly.

• 7. Re: Sort by Aspect Ratio not working

Check to ensure all the photos have camera EXIF info. Just a thought. Good luck.

• 8. Re: Sort by Aspect Ratio not working
                        RzzB Level 1

OK - I have found a folder with only 10 images that gets Aspect Ratio sorting all wrong. That should help to narrow things down. It's from 2009.

All of the photos have EXIF info. I have made sure non of them are stacked, and have no other attributes set.

All of the images have been updated to the current process (2012). Could it be something to do with that process?

I just can't see what's screwing up the sorting....

Sort by Aspect Ratio 3.JPG

• 9. Re: Sort by Aspect Ratio not working

I’m sure it has nothing to do with process version. Perhaps related to cropping? But as I said earlier it’s working OK for me. So maybe it’s a bug.

It would certainly be good if collections could respect an aspect ratio sort when being synced with LR mobile. This would be useful to overcome the constant need to flip the device from horizontal to vertical. Maybe it will be included in a future update.

Paul found a work around to what was thought to be a bug in LR4 or earlier. See link below.

http://www.paulsumberg.com/its-back-adobe-lightroom-bug/

• 10. Re: Sort by Aspect Ratio not working
                            RzzB Level 1

Yep - that work around fixed the problem...

Many thanks for your help.