7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2015 7:02 AM by tlubins

Acrobat javascript runs in Acrobat but not Reader

tlubins Level 1

Hello,

I have a file that I have created to run a code and fill in an engineering drawing. The code I have created works perfectly fine on my computer with Adobe Acrobat Pro DC but, when I send it to my co-worker who needs it nothing updates or calculates. Previous, older, pdfs I sent to him have worked on his computer. The only difference now is I have added the "Unit Weight" table and deleted 4 fields that are not being used anywhere in the pdf (I had to keep 2 of them "flngNo" and "class" because if I deleted them the code wouldnt update on my computer either.). Is there anything I am supposed to put into my code to have it run on Adobe Reader as well? Thank you for all the help, I have attatched the file as well. I am not sure if it will work though. If it doesnt can someone please let me know how to attatch a file from my computer to the forums properly? Thanks again and I hope someone can help me solve this issue.

Dropbox - eductor pdf

• 1. Re: Acrobat javascript runs in Acrobat but not Reader
          try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You need to make sure they're actually using Adobe Reader and not some other application.

Ask them to double-check it, and preferably send a screenshot. Also, what does "doesn't work" mean? Does the file not open at all?

Does it open but they don't see the dialog? Or do they see the dialog but the fields aren't populated with the selections? etc.

• 2. Re: Acrobat javascript runs in Acrobat but not Reader
            tlubins Level 1

Hello

Thank you for replying! I am positive that it is Adobe Reader that they are using because I watched him open it.

Sorry for being vague, when I say it doesn't work I mean that the file opens, the custom dialog box pops up, you can make selections inside the dialog box but, when you press okay it does not populate the fields with the correct values that should be based off of the selections made within the dialog box. Instead, all of the fields have the values from when I saved the file from my computer.

Sorry if this is still vague, I am very new to this and still trying to figure out how to word my problems correctly. I appreciate the response and if you need any more details or information please let me know and I will do my best to explain. Also, I included the file in the dropbox link...does that work? You could view it there and see what I am talking about but, if the link doesnt work then I will try to figure out why.

By the way, this is not a website pdf, it is a pdf that is on the computer and not attached to the internet in anyway. I am not sure if that makes a difference or not but thought I should let you know.

• 3. Re: Acrobat javascript runs in Acrobat but not Reader

Yes, the link works.

The code in this file is quite advanced. I'm assuming you hired someone to create it for you? If so, they should have provided instructions on how to use it.

The only thing I can think of that might be causing this issue is the preferences.

Go to Edit - Preferences - JavaScript and make sure that "Enable global object security policy" is NOT ticked, and that the other boxes in that tab are ticked. Click OK and then try again...

• 4. Re: Acrobat javascript runs in Acrobat but not Reader
                tlubins Level 1

Okay, I will go try that on his computer to see if it works.

I actually wrote the code myself after teaching myself a lot of whats in there and having help from a former co-worker when needed. It took a couple weeks to get it to where it is and when it all of a sudden failed on his computer it was quite disappointing considering how much work I put into it. I will let you know if the preferences is what was doing it. Thank you for your quick replies!

• 5. Re: Acrobat javascript runs in Acrobat but not Reader
                  tlubins Level 1

That worked perfectly! Thank you for the recommendation! Have a wonderful day!

• 6. Re: Acrobat javascript runs in Acrobat but not Reader

Glad to hear it, and you did a pretty good job for a novice!

• 7. Re: Acrobat javascript runs in Acrobat but not Reader
                      tlubins Level 1

Thank you! That means a lot!