22 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2015 8:33 PM by A.T. Romano

error message trying to burn a disk says can't find the burner

lynncat12 Level 1

I'm on a mac have latest update for Premiere Elements, I just got off the phone with Apple and confirmed my burner is fine its an Adobe problem. when I try to burn a disk I get an Icon "says CANNOT FIND THE BURNER", THIS IS A random problem sometimes it works and sometimes more than not I cannot burn the dvd in the burner. Need help on this issue

• 1. Re: error message trying to burn a disk says can't find the burner
          A.T. Romano Level 7

lynncat12

What version of Premiere Elements Mac? What Mac operating system?

What are you doing...burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, AVCHD on DVD disc, or Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc?

If burn to DVD disc, do you get this type of random issue if you do the burn to folder instead of the burn to disc?

ATR

• 2. Re: error message trying to burn a disk says can't find the burner
            lynncat12 Level 1

premier 13, mac os 10.10.4

burn dvd video to DVD disc

have not done the folder yet, i’’ll try later, very disgusted with Premier E, I’ve bought like three versions paid

thanks for any help

• 3. Re: error message trying to burn a disk says can't find the burner
              A.T. Romano Level 7

lynncat12

Thanks for the follow up.

The burner not listed in the Burner Location is a troublesome problem for Premiere Elements Windows and Mac users.

I am strictly an Elements Windows user, but I will try to find some common ground troubleshooting on this.

Let us first see how the burn to folder goes.

Is your burner external or built into the laptop? If USB port and a USB cable involved, have you double checked each?

ATR

• 4. Re: error message trying to burn a disk says can't find the burner
                lynncat12 Level 1

Thanks im about ready to give up on video editing and burning

im doing the folder burn right now, it wont even save with the name i choose keeps using numbers

Its external, last night i finally called apple and we verifyed that the mac see the burner, so no help from apple they disavow burning except for the right click option and say to,find a third party software

I just bought wonder share which i used before with a different camera, Ive used hand break and now haveing some problems

My problem is my sony camera outputs Avchd files not mp4, so i need to translate the avchd but what maddening is I am able to bring avchd files in adobe elements and would covert and processmthem for a burn fine!

Anotjer issue is i only burn once in blue moon vac etc so its hard to remember or recreate same problems

All i can say is adobe has no updates available checked that, and one other different thing is in this movie I droped in avchd file, and some other mp4 files never done that before but like i say i used to be able to burn and not get that no burner message

Thanks for your help

"Je suis cecil"  

"If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity,

you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men."

― Francis of Assisi

Painting is easy when you dont know how, but very difficult when you do-Edgar Degas

It is better for everybody, "when it's better for everybody",

Eleanor Roosevelt

• 5. Re: error message trying to burn a disk says can't find the burner
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

lynncat12

Let us look at this....

First the source from your Sony camera....AVCHD (also known as MP4 AVC/H.264) is the video compression of the file. What is the file extension of that file that is using the AVCHD video compression - is it .m2t, .mts, .m2ts, .mov, or .mp4? For your Mac, you want .mov or .mp4. Let us say you want AVCHD.mp4 file.

That should be easy to do with the free HandBrake program https://handbrake.fr/

HandBrake will give you the H.264.mp4 version to take into Premiere Elements project.

Then you take your H.264.mp4 file into Premiere Elements 13 Mac. When you get to the burn to part, let us say that you are going to create a DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc. You select Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc, and the preset should be PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD. The burn dialog has a quality area with a place for Space Required and Bitrate. When you have your Timeline content ready and have your DVD disc in the burner tray, what are the readings for Space Required and Bitrate in that burn dialog? What type of a DVD disc did you put in the burner tray - DVD 4.7 GB/120 minutes or DVD 8.5 GB/240 minutes?

Are you using DVD-R or DVD-RW discs or something else.

Let us start here with this information to determine what the problems are and define where they are happening.

Please consider. I think that going step by step through the workflow now will speed things up later.

Any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: error message trying to burn a disk says can't find the burner
                    lynncat12 Level 1

File ext avchd is mts

Got handbrake been so long forgot how works but did convert one mts to mp4. Tried to set the directory where the mts files were, only picked up one? Now all the others are greyed out anothwr problem. luckly imfound my old notes on doing this that typed up so stick on that

You say pal format? Thought that was for europe? Maybe im wrong been doing this on and off for two days now very frustrated

Im giveing myself a break for tonite may start again tomorrow moring have afternoon apt

Using dvd 4. Gig -Rs

Again thank you so much formyour help appreciate it, do you or have used Roxio for editing and burning? Any other programs you recommend since apple wont

I really loved adobe before all this starrted about a month ago i was able to burn 17 dvd from a memorial service we had had do twice since it said no burner

Thanks again. lynncat

• 7. Re: error message trying to burn a disk says can't find the burner
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

lynncat12

Thank you for the reply.

Are your working in a PAL or NTSC setup?

PAL / NTSC country list.

I do not need to know the location, just if your location is in a PAL or NTSC region where your work is to be used.

The important question is did you do

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD

with burn to Folder (4.7 GB) or Folder (8.5 GB)

and

with preset NTSC or PAL Dolby DVD or NTSC or PAL_Widescreen_Dolby Digital?

And was that successful so that you obtained a saved folder that contained 2 folders: one named OpenDVD and the other named VIDEO_TS?.

Once we get those results, we can best decide what factors are contributing to your problem.

If necessary, after that we can discuss using HandBrake to get your H.264.mp4 that you can take into your Premiere Elements project.

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: error message trying to burn a disk says can't find the burner
                        lynncat12 Level 1

See below no time today to work on it see answers below

Thank you again for your help monday will be bad day also have dr apt ill try sat

• 9. Re: error message trying to burn a disk says can't find the burner
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

lynncat12

Thanks for the reply.

We will be watching for your progress whenever your schedule permits.

Your results will be very helpful in trying to resolve your issue or finding a workaround for it.

Do not give up.

Best wishes

ATR

• 10. Re: error message trying to burn a disk says can't find the burner
                            lynncat12 Level 1

After you get that folder with the two files what do i do next?

"Je suis cecil"  

"If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity,

― Francis of Assisi

Painting is easy when you dont know how, but very difficult when you do-Edgar Degas

Eleanor Roosevelt

• 11. Re: error message trying to burn a disk says can't find the burner
                              lynncat12 Level 1

Im haveing all sorts of problems with just trying to open adobe my wheel just keeps spinning wont open tried force quit three times

"Je suis cecil"  

― Francis of Assisi

Eleanor Roosevelt

• 12. Re: error message trying to burn a disk says can't find the burner
                                lynncat12 Level 1

There must be something wrong with the program now the only way i can open elements is to hold down the power key since wont open force quit does not work, then after holding down the power button it open the editor

"Je suis cecil"  

― Francis of Assisi

Eleanor Roosevelt

• 13. Re: error message trying to burn a disk says can't find the burner
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

lynncat12

Referring to your post numbered 10...

Now that you have the saved folder with the OpenDVD and the VIDEO_TS Folder, you take just the VIDEO_TS Folder into the free program named ImgBurn to create your DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

How to burn a DVD Folder with ImgBurn - AfterDawn: Guides

Referring to your post numbered 11....

Is the problem related to opening the program new?

a. Is the problem there with or without the antivirus disabled?

b. Does your Premiere Elements meet the published System Requirements

System requirements | Adobe Premiere Elements

c. With all your computer work, are you running out of free hard drive space or available RAM?

ATR

• 14. Re: error message trying to burn a disk says can't find the burner
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

lynncat12

Just saw your post 12.

With the program closed, restart the computer. When the computer is restarted...

Right click the desktop icon for Premiere Elements, select and apply Run As Administrator.

Then,

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file. If that does not resolve the problem, then delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. But, you need to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the complete path to the 12.0 Folder and the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file inside it.

ATR

• 15. Re: error message trying to burn a disk says can't find the burner
                                      lynncat12 Level 1

I dont see a version for mac

"Je suis cecil"  

― Francis of Assisi

Eleanor Roosevelt

• 16. Re: error message trying to burn a disk says can't find the burner
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

lynncat12

Sorry. I forgot that you were using the Mac computer.

Please disregard the request for selecting and applying Run As Administrator.

I think that Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file is found in Mac

Users/Libraries/Application Support/Adobe/Premiere Elements/13.0

Please let me know if you find the file.

Thank you.

ATR

• 17. Re: error message trying to burn a disk says can't find the burner
                                          lynncat12 Level 1

Aftwr mich much time on this did what said used iskysoft then tried wondershare it works but.

It dies pick all the file up have 4.g file ts, only takes 1.g? im so disgisted iVe spent days on this still cant find any good burning software

Have used Roxio? Need feedback

Thanks again Lynncat

"Je suis cecil"  

― Francis of Assisi

Eleanor Roosevelt

• 18. Re: error message trying to burn a disk says can't find the burner
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

lynncat12

Thanks for the replies.

I am strictly an Elements Windows user, but I try to find common ground between Premiere Elements Windows and Mac issues.

Here is where I am going to need your help, translating my Windows idea into Mac.

1. At this time, can you do Publish+Share/Disc/DVD with the burn to = Folder (4.7 GB) or Folder (8.5 GB)? Even if you cannot change the name of the folder that you are about to save, can you still produce the folder and find it afterward at the Save In place? In the saved folder you should find the OpenDVD Folder and the VIDEO_TS Folder?

2. From what I have read, Mac has a Disc Utility where you should be able take just that VIDEO_TS Folder to a DVD disc to get your DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc. Please refer to

How do I use Disk Utility to burn a playable DV... | Apple Support Communities

I do not have any experience with Roxio software.

Please let me know if the Mac Disc Utility is going to work for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 19. Re: error message trying to burn a disk says can't find the burner
                                              lynncat12 Level 1

See answers below what does the iso folder do?......

"Je suis cecil"  

― Francis of Assisi

Eleanor Roosevelt

• 20. Re: error message trying to burn a disk says can't find the burner
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

lynncat12

When you use burn to ISO Image, the program generates a file with an .iso file extension. It is essentially a copy of your work format as DVD-VIDEO.

When you use burn to Folder, the program generates a folder, not a file, that contains a VIDEO_TS Folder which contains you work in the DVD-VIDEO structure.

Either way, you need to take the .iso file or the VIDEO_TS Folder into another program. In the case of the Windows users, it is ImgBurn (Windows Only).

I think the way with less complications if it works for you, is burn to folder and taking the VIDEO_TS Folder in that folder to DVD disc with that Mac Disc Utility.

Premiere Elements .iso has problems. Try for the burn to folder. Would Apple Support give you advice on how to use the Disc Utility for this purpose?

The link that I posted in post numbered 18 should be a start on that how to.

Thanks.

ATR

• 21. Re: error message trying to burn a disk says can't find the burner
                                                  lynncat12 Level 1

Thanks called Apple they just say use a third party software, so your haveing problems or unable to burn within premiere? Are they aware of this do they care?

Again thanks for your help as I go along takes time ill advise you of any progress

Lyncat

"Je suis cecil"  

― Francis of Assisi

Eleanor Roosevelt

• 22. Re: error message trying to burn a disk says can't find the burner
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

lynncat12

Thanks for the follow ups.

Best wishes with your projects. Looking forward to further developments when your schedule permits.

ATR