1 2 3 4 Previous Next 123 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2008 1:09 PM by Sami@Adobe

All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire

Sami@Adobe Adobe Employee
      Hello,
      If you believe you have installed the correct Flash Player and are experiencing either:
      - Missing color values (all at 0)/black swatches
      - An all-black screen with only Terms of Use visible.
      Please help us solve this by filling out the following information. Thank you!
      Sami

==

1. Problem description (mention all that apply)
      - An all-black screen with only Terms of Use visible
      - Similar problem _____________________________

2. What OS (and OS version) are you using?

3. What browser (and browser version) are you using?

4. Please go here and tell us what version of the player you currently have installed: http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/

5. kuler requires the latest version of the Flash Player. What version of the Flash player did you start with before you upgrading??

6. Did you use the express install on kuler.adobe.com or did you visit Adobe.com and click on the “Get Flash Player” button (prior to visiting the kuler site)?

7. Have you installed the public Alpha/Beta of the Flash authoring tool?

8. Have you ever installed an Alpha/Beta version of the Flash 9 player?

9. Did you close all browsers before uninstalling the Flash player? Did you close all browsers before installing the latest version?

10. Is there any other info that you think might be relevant (e.g., consistent steps to repro, etc.)?

11. Would you be willing to help us test a fix? (Y/N)

• 1. Re: All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
          SolMarch Level 1

Windows XP SP2

- Firefox 1.5/2.0
          - Internet Explorer 6/7

4. Flash Version: 9,0,28,0

5. kuler requires version 9, 0, 28. What version of the Flash player did you start with before you upgrading to 9, 0, 28?

- Uninstalled previous version (using tool at http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_14157)
          - Restarted system
          - Installed latest flash player (downloaded here: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash)

6. Did you use the express install on kuler.adobe.com or did you visit Adobe.com and click on the “Get Flash Player” button (prior to visiting the kuler site)?

Downloaded Flash Player Installer (from: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash)

No

No

9. Did you uninstall the Flash player before visiting kuler and installing 9, 0, 28?

Not initially. But after it did not work, I did.

10. Is there any other info that you think might be relevant (e.g., consistent steps to repro, etc.)?

Steps required to reproduce issue:
          1. Go to kuler.adobe.com

CPU: AMD Athlon 2500+
          RAM: 1GB DDR 2700
          Video Card: NVidia GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU (32MB RAM)

YES!, Oui, Si, Hai, 'Ae
          • 2. Re: All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
            theGeoffMeister
            Problem Description - Black Title, Black Swatches when in Create mode...

Microsoft Windows XP SP2
            Mozilla Firefox 2.0 & MS Internet Explorer 6 (tried both, no dice)
            Flash Player 9,0,28,0
            Upgraded Flash from 8, (How does one tell the exact version?)
            Adobe Website Flash install
            No Flash Authoring Tool
            No Beta of Flash 9
            No Uninstall before Flash 9
            No Steps Taken to Try and Fix
            Willing to Test A Fix Because Kuler Sounds Like a Great Idea

If you need more info:
            AMD Athlon XP 3200+
            1GB DDR RAM
            NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE
            Built-in Windows Firewall
            • 3. Re: All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
              FredmaeHn

Windows XP Version 2002 SP2

No Problems with Mac OS X 10.4

with WinXP:
              Firefox 2.0 (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20061010 Firefox/2.0)
              Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180

No Problems with Safari and Firefox 2.0 on OS X 10.4

4. Please go here and tell us what version of the player you currently have installed: http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/
              9.0.28.0 in all 4 Browsers

5. kuler requires version 9, 0, 28. What version of the Flash player did you start with before you upgrading to 9, 0, 28?
              Version 8?? Can't remember exactly...

Express Install for all 4 Browsers

No

No

9. Did you uninstall the Flash player before visiting kuler and installing 9, 0, 28?
              No

Yes
              • 4. Re: All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
                Chriso3000 Level 1

XP Pro

Firefox 1.5, then upgraded to 2.0
                IE 6.0.29

either 9.0.16 or 8.?

initially installed from kuler, when that didn't work, i uninstalled and reinstalled via adobe.com

no but have flash 8 pro, flash 8 pro video encoder, flash 8 player and flashpaper 2

no

no, see Q6

didn't work on my home computer either, XP home, firefox 2.0, IE6... or another work computer XP pro, IE 6.

YES YES YES
                • 5. Re: All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
                  Carly Gooch Level 1

Windows XP service pack 2

Firefox 1.5.0.8

I think I currently have the debug player installed at the moment but when originally having this issue I upgraded to the standard player.

9,0,16 debug player

I used the http://www.adobe.com/go/getflash link from the kuler page

no

no

not originally. Then I unistalled 9,0,28 and reinstalled 9,0,28

not that I can think of

Y
                  I can only test on my machine at work since my home machine runs kuler fine. So tests can only be done mon-fri :)
                  • 6. Re: All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
                    Minardi
                    An all-black screen with only Terms of Use visible

Mac OSX 10.3.9

Safari 1.3.2

Version 9.0.28.0

?

Express Install

No

No

No

Yes. Was working fine for the first few visits (apx 2-3 weeks ago). When revisited, not working, don't know why. Didn't do any particular installs...

Yes
                    • 7. All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
                      cogwurx
                      Nothing is loading(work PC).
                      All Black (home PC)

Home: XP SP1
                      Work: XP SP2

Firefox 2.0
                      IE6

9,0,28,0 installed

Flash 9

Not sure

no

no

no

This site has never worked on my home PC.
                      Work PC has been fine up until late last week with each visit working properly less and less. Load times have been really slow. Today it works ok on initial load, but once I begin to navigate around nothing loads.

Yes.
                      • 8. Re: All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
                        ndeewolfwood

xp sp2

firefox 2.0

4. Please go here and tell us what version of the player you currently have installed:
                        i have version 9,0,28,0 installed

a previous 9 version but i dont know which one

6-6. Did you use the express install on kuler.adobe.com or did you visit Adobe.com and click on the “Get Flash Player” button (prior to visiting the kuler site)?
                        express install..after a visit on this forum >uninstall and install with the adobe.com version

7- 7. Have you installed the public Alpha/Beta of the Flash authoring tool?
                        no

no

9-9. Did you uninstall the Flash player before visiting kuler and installing 9, 0, 28?
                        not before but after my first visit i try that with a reboot between uninstall and install

1. Would you be willing to help us test a fix? (Y/N)
                        yes

• 9. Re: All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
                          Sunny Sky

An all-black screen with only Terms of Use visible. As a matter of fact, the digits of all-black screen is #161616, not full black (#000000).

MacOSX 1.3.9

Safari 1.3.2

9,0,16,0 (maybe)

"Get Flash Player" in Adobe.com

No

No

No

Under the same Mac environment mentioned above, I have no issue on all-black screen WHEN using Firefox 2.0. It seems to me that a significant difference between two browsers is compatibility in the latest Javascript version [ Safari 1.3.2 - Javascript 1.5 vs. Firefox 2.0 - Javascript 1.6 ]. My guess is that a "player version detection" source code in javascript might not work correctly on Safari 1.3.2 for some reason. "kuler - Flash Player Installation" appears anytime in the Safari browser title even though the latest Flash player (9,0,28,0) was installed. This title text seems to be designed to appear in the situation, in which "flash player is installed" and "player's version is not 9,0,28".

Anyway, I'm not a pro programmer so I cannot justify my theory. Need a help!

11. Would you be willing to help us test a fix? (Y/N) Text An

Yes
                          • 10. Re: All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
                            i_am_primortal

XP SP2

IE7

8.x

express install

no

no

no

The site was working fine for me last week.

Y
                            • 11. Re: All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
                              Hi everyone,
                              Thanks so much for your help! We are narrowing it down... Please stay tuned...
                              Sami
                              • 12. Re: All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
                                RichClient

Windows XP Home (original build)
                                Windows XP SP2

First PC: Firefox 1.5 and IE7
                                Second PC: Firefox 2.0 and IE 6

4. Please go here and tell us what version of the player you currently have installed:
                                Player Version 9,0,28,0 Standard and Debug Version

Player Version 9,0,16,0

6. Did you use the express install on kuler.adobe.com or did you visit Adobe.com and click on the “Get Flash Player” button (prior to visiting the kuler site)? Express install didnt launch at all, downloaded the install for Firefox,
                                used ActiveX install for IE.

7. Have you installed the public Alpha/Beta of the Flash authoring tool? NO

8. Have you ever installed an Alpha/Beta version of the Flash 9 player? Only on one of the PC's I'm testing on, the other had the regular version 8 player until I upgraded it to try Kuler.

9. Did you uninstall the Flash player before visiting kuler and installing 9, 0, 28? Not until after experiencing said error. I then ran the uninstall tool and reinstalled.

10. Is there any other info that you think might be relevant (e.g., consistent steps to repro, etc.)? No, other than the fact that I follow MXNA and check out every RIA I can find, and have never had any other obvious malfunctions like this where so many people with very similar configs are having no errors.

11. Would you be willing to help us test a fix? (Y/N) YES
                                • 13. Re: All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
                                  :pip:

XP Pro SP2 (Version 5.1.2600)

Firefox 2.0
                                  Opera 9.02
                                  IE 6.0.2900.2180

flash version 8

express

no

no

no

tried an uninstall/reinstall of flash player
                                  same effect on all 3 browsers installed on machine
                                  firefox has flashblock installed, but adobe/macromedia is on the whitelist

Yes!
                                  • 14. Re: All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
                                    taibantprod
                                    Hello,
                                    If you believe you have installed the correct Flash Player and are experiencing either:
                                    - An all-black screen with only Terms of Use visible.
                                    Please help us solve this by filling out the following information. Thank you!
                                    Sami

==

windows xp

firefox 2 and ie 6

not sure

express

no

no

no

yep

• 15. Re: All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
                                      Le Marquis Level 1
                                      Problem Description - Black Title, Black Swatches when in Create mode...

Microsoft Windows XP SP2
                                      Mozilla Firefox 2.0 & MS Internet Explorer 7 (tried both, no rainbow yet!)
                                      Flash Player 9,0,28,0
                                      Upgraded Flash from 8.
                                      Adobe Website Flash install
                                      No Flash Authoring Tool
                                      No Beta of Flash 9
                                      No Uninstall before Flash 9
                                      Tried, downgrading Flash player, Even installed Opera to try, No rainbow colors yet!
                                      Willing to Test A Fix...

If you need more info:
                                      AMD Celeron 1000+
                                      1.2 GB RAM
                                      NVIDIA GeForce 420
                                      Built-in Windows Firewall
                                      • 16. Re: All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
                                        thisnicknameistaken
                                        Wow, the only nickname that I could think of that wasnt taken was this one.... Anyways....

quote:

Missing color values (all at 0)/black swatches

quote:

OS Name: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
                                        Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

quote:

Browser: Opera
                                        Version: 9.02
                                        Build: 8585
                                        Platform: Win32

quote:

Version Installed: 9,0,28,0

quote:

None. Fresh install of Windows.

quote:

Visited Adobe.com.

quote:

No.

quote:

No.

quote:

Yes.

quote:

None.

quote:

Yes.
                                        • 17. Re: All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
                                          theGeoffMeister Level 1
                                          All the people who have posted their video card info are using Nvidia Video Cards. Maybe that's the culprit? (Unlikely, though)
                                          • 18. Re: All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
                                            Hi there!
                                            We have some theories and this sequence seems to be working for us. Can you test it out and see if you can view kuler? Post your results here, please. Thanks for your help.
                                            Sami

p.s. I realize some of you uninstalled/reinstalled already, but if you can give it another try with the shipped Flash version, that would be helpful.

1. Uninstall Flash Player manually
                                            2. Download Flash player 9.0.28 from Adobe.com http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&promoi d=BIOW
                                            3. Install this version of the Flash player manually
                                            4. Try kuler again. http://kuler.adobe.com
                                            • 19. Re: All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
                                              SolMarch Level 1
                                              No go on my end.

Here are the steps I took:
                                              1. Closed all browsers/IM programs, etc.
                                              2. Uninstalled Flash Player (following the instructions/program provided at http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_14157)
                                              3. Opened Firefox to http://kuler.adobe.com to verify Flash player has been uninstalled (Uninstallation confirmed)
                                              4. Downloaded the Flash Player 9.0.28 from the link provided ( http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&promoi d=BIOW)
                                              5. Closed all browsers, etc.
                                              6. Ran program to install Flash Player
                                              7. Opened Firefox to http://kuler.adobe.com. The flash player works (i.e. the kuler application loads), but the color swatches still do not display.
                                              • 20. Re: All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
                                                Carly Gooch Level 1
                                                No luck for me either...

First attempt:
                                                Unistall flash player.
                                                This technote says only v6 and before can be done unistalled manually
                                                http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_12727

I used the unistaller exe to unistall
                                                http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14157

I then went to the website provided in your post and intalled flash player into firefox
                                                tested and no change from the black missing colour values

I then went to the same place in IE and again no luck on seeing colour.

Second attempt:
                                                As above this time with a restart after the unistall and a restart after the install.

Both times I had no applications running. I do have IIS server and coldfusion developer edition services running. Just realised winamp was still in the background too.

As a developer I'm curious to know what the final cause of the descrepency is when you find it.
                                                • 21. Re: All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
                                                  Hi folks,
                                                  Thanks for testing, please keep the responses coming.

We are working with various teams here to figure out what the issue is. The responses you have given in this thread are very helpful. We'll let you know what is causing this when we track it down. It's been rather tenacious...

Sami
                                                  • 22. Re: All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
                                                    :pip: Level 1
                                                    I Tried uninstall/reinstall as per suggestion; no improvement.
                                                    I'm also using an nvidia card like three of the other people here have mentioned. (Quadro4 900xgl)
                                                    Coincidence? Is anyone using something different?
                                                    • 23. Re: All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
                                                      SolMarch Level 1
                                                      I am not using a Quadro, though I do have a NVidia graphics chipset (onboard graphics)
                                                      • 24. All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
                                                        Hi folks,

We think it was a detection script error and we've posted a new build. "Black screen of death" appears fixed for us, can you please try again and let us know? This would be a great Christmas present if this was fixed! Fingers crossed...

Sami
                                                        • 25. All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
                                                          SolMarch Level 1
                                                          Would have loved that as well, unfortunately it's still not working (at least not for me)

In fact, now the color wheel is all black for me as well. The swatches are still black and the color values are all "frozen" at zero (i.e. they do not update as I drag around the color target "arms" on the color wheel). Also, I don't know if this was the case before the new build, but I cannot move the RGB sliders around either (nothing happens when I click and attempt to drag any of them).

I tested the page once, then uninstalled and reinstalled the flash player and tried again, with the same effect both times.
                                                          • 26. Re: All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
                                                            Hello,
                                                            Hmmm... that's disappointing. Is it working for anyone else?
                                                            We'll all be back in the beginning of January to hammer on this some more. Until then, enjoy the holidays.
                                                            Sami
                                                            • 27. Re: All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
                                                              pantone354c

2. What OS (and OS version) are you using? Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 AMD Athlon XP 2800 2.08 GHz, 1.25GB of Ram

3. What browser (and browser version) are you using? Explorer 7.0.5, Firefox 2.0.0.1

4. Please go here and tell us what version of the player you currently have installed: http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/ 9,0,28,0

5. kuler requires version 9, 0, 28. What version of the Flash player did you start with before you upgrading to 9, 0, 28? 9,0,28,0

6. Did you use the express install on kuler.adobe.com or did you visit Adobe.com and click on the “Get Flash Player” button (prior to visiting the kuler site)? kuler.adobe.com

7. Have you installed the public Alpha/Beta of the Flash authoring tool? no

8. Have you ever installed an Alpha/Beta version of the Flash 9 player? no

no

11. Would you be willing to help us test a fix? (Y/N) y
                                                              • 28. Re: All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
                                                                Zé Colmeia
                                                                1. -Missing color values (all at 0)/black swatches
                                                                2. XP Pro
                                                                3. Firefox 2 - Explorer 7
                                                                4. Flash Version: 9,0,28,0
                                                                5. kuler requires version 9, 0, 28. What version of the Flash player did you start with before you upgrading to 9, 0, 28? - - -
                                                                6. express install on kuler.adobe.com
                                                                7. No
                                                                8. No
                                                                9. Yes
                                                                10. No
                                                                11. Yepp
                                                                • 29. All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
                                                                  :pip: Level 1
                                                                  Hmm, the new build has made the circular color picker go black as well. Here's some screen shots:
                                                                  http://www.digphil.com/kulerscreens/kuler1.jpg
                                                                  http://www.digphil.com/kulerscreens/kuler2.jpg
                                                                  (These are in Firefox 2.0 - Opera and IE have identical problems on this system)

The sliders don't seem to move anymore, with the exception of the brightness slider under the color picker. I can manually enter a hex value and get the swatch to change color, but it will revert to black as I tab away from it. (When shift-tabbing away, it turns black when hitting the "A" field of LAB values) When I tab back into the hex field, it becomes value #666666. Here's a couple shots:
                                                                  http://www.digphil.com/kulerscreens/kuler4.jpg
                                                                  http://www.digphil.com/kulerscreens/kuler3.jpg

Let me know if there's any other information that would be helpful!
                                                                  Best of luck, enjoy the rest of your holidays! :-)
                                                                  • 30. Re: All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
                                                                    Hello,
                                                                    Happy New Year! Many thanks for the posts and especially the screenshots, :pip.
                                                                    We'll get back on this...
                                                                    Sami
                                                                    • 31. Re: All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
                                                                      Hi folks,

One more thing: when uninstalling and installing, be sure all browsers are closed, and no windows are open and running. Some of you mentioned doing this a while back, but would be good to verify that this was the case with your most recent attempts.

a) Close all browsers. Uninstall player manually
                                                                      b) Download Flash player 9.0.28 from Adobe Labs downloads.
                                                                      Be sure all browsers are closed.
                                                                      c) Install the Flash player manually.
                                                                      d) Try kuler again.
                                                                      We are calling in auxiliary help as it's hard for us to reproduce this consistently.
                                                                      We appreciate your perseverance.
                                                                      Sami
                                                                      • 32. Re: All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
                                                                        SolMarch Level 1
                                                                        I have done this for each attempt. I have also restarted the computer between uninstallation and reinstallation of the flash player on occasion.

Also, big thanks to you and your team for working on this :)
                                                                        • 33. Re: All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
                                                                          Carly Gooch Level 1
                                                                          I too have always made sure all programs were closed and have restarted between unistallation and reinstallation. I know that it should only take all browsers but went for everything because it couldn't hurt, though I did forget to turn of winamp.

I forgot to reply to the above request to test on the 12/23/2006
                                                                          I too got the same results as SolMarch described.

Thanks for all the hard work and wishing you luck in finding what the cause is.
                                                                          • 34. Re: All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
                                                                            Your encouragement is greatly appreciated!

We have posted a new SWF for detection. If you can take another crack at it, please let us know what happens. Thank you!

Sami

The Drill:
                                                                            a) Close all browsers. Uninstall player manually
                                                                            b) Download Flash player 9.0.28 from Adobe Labs downloads.
                                                                            Be sure all browsers are closed.
                                                                            c) Install the Flash player manually.
                                                                            d) Try kuler again.
                                                                            • 35. All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
                                                                              SolMarch Level 1
                                                                              Hate to say it, but no kuler love for me just yet. It's still all black (color wheel, swatches, etc.)

What I did:
                                                                              1) Closed all browsers and uninstalled Flash Player (using exe download from Adobe.com)
                                                                              2) Confirmed Flash player no longer installed (IE 6/Firefox 2.0)
                                                                              3) Installed Flash Player 9.0.28
                                                                              (note: I did not find a Windows version of the Flash player in the Labs downloads section, or anywhere else in Adobe Labs, so I downloaded the exe found at:
                                                                              http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash)
                                                                              4) Checked IE 6/Firefox 2.0 for successful installation of Flash player by going to http://kuler.adobe.com)
                                                                              (Note: Flash Player was operational, but Kuler still does not display any colors)
                                                                              5) Restarted Computer
                                                                              6) Checked IE 6/Firefox 2.0 again - Kuler still does not work properly (same issues, no new ones)

Note: Browser cache was cleared each time a browser was used to check Kuler.
                                                                              • 36. Re: All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
                                                                                Carly Gooch Level 1
                                                                                Unfortunately I have the same news to report.

Took the following steps (no programs where open besides ones mentioned)
                                                                                1. Unistalled flash player
                                                                                2. restarted machine
                                                                                3. Opened firefox, went to adobe website, downloaded flash player exe, closed firefox
                                                                                4. Installed flash player from exe using US english
                                                                                5. Checked Kuler (no change)
                                                                                6. restarted machine
                                                                                7. Checked Kuler (no change)

I did not clear my cache but did do a forced refresh

It is interesting that a couple of versions back we seemed to lose the colour in the colour wheel when we did have that before. Might be useful to track down that update and see what was new that could have caused the loss of colour there.
                                                                                • 37. All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
                                                                                  Hi,

So initially we had two flavors of the black screen of death and we weren't sure if there were connected:
                                                                                  1 Missing color values (all at 0)/black swatches
                                                                                  2: An all-black screen with only Terms of Use visible.

For #2, the latest fix should have fixed the all black-screen problem. If anyone is still experiencing this, or if it now works for you, please let us know.

For #1, we are taking another tack since it's probably driven by something other than detection. Nenearen had some suggestions for tracking that down... Stay tuned, folks!

Sami

• 38. Re: All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
                                                                                    theGeoffMeister Level 1
                                                                                    Missing Color Values is still existent, even after a Flash reinstall.
                                                                                    • 39. Re: All Black Screen/Swatches Questionnaire
                                                                                      RichClient Level 1
                                                                                      Ok back from holiday break. Lets try this again.

I too am not even getting the color wheel now. This seriously doesn't make sense to me. Are you guys using some kind of super secret new tools to code this thing or something? As far as I can tell this is an absolutely unprecedented type of problem. One of the greatest things about Flash traditionally is that everybody with the current player version would see exactly the same functionality.

Also, I cannot grab any of the color sliders anymore, where before I could. (even though sliding them did nothing)
                                                                                      1 2 3 4 Previous Next